Bombers, Als, swing Draft day trade

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have acquired Canadian defensive tackle Cameron Lawson and the 13th overall selection in the 2022 CFL Draft from the Montreal Alouettes in exchange for the 9th and 18th overall selections.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/05/03/bombers-als-swing-draft-day-trade/

Who knows, draft Players usually take a year or so to get game time, given Cameron has 4 CFL games experience could be a plus in a what some say is a weak draft year, a possible starter and you get your second choice at #13 instead of #18. Seams he likes to spend some time in the backfield as well

1 Like

For obvious reasons we don’t know a lot about these guys, but it’s good to see Kyle stocking the pantry. We didn’t know about Alford last year either.

1 Like

Jake Thomas is 31 & has a lot of miles on him - over 150 games, so time to get some get some there. Knight probably wasn't available @ 9, although who knows how far he drops considering the NFL interest reported this week. There's a couple of DT's further down. I would expect the Bombers to go OL now @ 13.

1 Like

I should add that, on the Als side, great trade - 2 picks in the top 9. 3 of 18. They must like Lawson a lot as this means they have no pick after 13 until the last pick in round 4. Very unlike the Bomber brass.

1 Like

#1 Draft pick to Als for their #4. Looks like Richards is going to the Als.

1 Like

Methinks Kyle Walters has his eye on a juicy draft choice who will still be available at pick number 14 so... perhaps he elected to get something for nothing here.

2 Likes

Bombers are very low in Canadian content on the roster and didn't really have a plus gain here; Lawson + a draft pick = for 2 draft picks; Lawson makes sense if he can team with Thomas to have a Canadian starter on the D-Line.

Hard to fathom what Maciocia is thinking for this draft and wanting #1 overall?; I also don't get why Richards is this consensus #1 pick to some (so much for Jones liking him there)? Doubt he is going to displace Ackie at W-OLB (unless Ackie moves over to S-OLB and Richards could compete for his old spot?)

1 Like

It's a good fit. Beyond Ackie there's not much in the way of starters. And they need to replace Levels. The Als needs are on defence. Depth all around. Four good starters on DL but beyond that thin. Not at all surprised by wanting Elks pick.

Unlike the Bombers in that they don't often make a trade, sure.
But a Canadian DT was a position of need, and that is (hopefully) addressed. They must have looked into who would be available and who could play now and came to the conclusion that Lawson was the better option. I'll take proven over hype anyday.
Agree that OL help is probably next.

1 Like