Bombers/Als Part Deux

....It's going to be a good test of our o line once again....Although the Als. aren't as tough as they used to be up front, I think our new guys will be tested ...IF our D plays up to standard, i would say we stand a good chance of taking this one...Get to Anthony early and often and we might pull off a win....Go Bombers :thup:

Agreed, I think this one's within reach.

Like I said earlier, I'd like to see the D start strong for once. We'll need them.

This team is incapable of starting strong, have to spot the opposition a 2 score lead before they get aggressive, that second quarter was all Bombers after sleep walking through the first.

.....Going to be a looooong year with that kind of coaching..... :thdn: B.S. give away :thdn: Kick the friggin points Lapo...Bring on Burke

I don’t know…it was gutsy, but realy probably our best chance for 7. I like that Lapo actually had some balls for once.

If Denamrk didn’t trip in the endzone before the half, this would have been a different game. Buck looked better, but still awkard at times. This one is one the D in my books.
Good effort by Washington, Mathews, and Edwards.

.....Sorry can't agree after seeing the Brink/ Matthews link-up.....Whatever ...a loss against a team that should've been had :thdn: Maybe the pundits were right...could be a rebuild already while Mont. continues on....and....on and on....a litlle bit much :thdn:

You guys still have a great defense. You just ran into a Montreal offense at home with something to prove. That Washington kid is a great kick returner, I look forward to seeing more of him (as long as he's not burning us again!).

Sorry, but I don't think any WPG fan should be happy with that performance of the D. They didn't get nearly the pressure they did against BC - and the couple times they did AC looked hurt from the slightest contact. More pressure and there is no way he has a game like that.
I have to give it to AC though, he still has great vision on the field, something Buck lacks. First option not there, might as well run......Also just by looking at Buck's stance pre snap it is clear it is a running play. We need to do a better job of disguising plays.

When you have no Oline you don't win in this league. Also the linebackers are probably the weakest group in the league. I predicted this four game stretch on the road would kill any chance of the Bombers getting out of the blocks strong. Next week in Edmonton their defense is going to manhandle that Oline again. Unless they get "lucky" Bombers will be 0-3 out of the gate. Lapolice needs to calm down and take that into account.

Matthews and Washington will be stars in this league.

I predicted a 2-2 start, and the next 2 games are very winnable. Our Oline will struggle no doubt - they are the greenest in the league. But everyone knows they take time to gel. As long as they are making improvements (like they did yesterday) I'm OK with that.
As far as our LB's, I don't know about weakest in the league, but right now it is a weak spot. Doe/Stewart/Muamba all green as well, here again there will be growing pains. Should be better when Bowman returns. Our D has to stop giving up opening drives for points. Plain and simple.

I don't think the Bombers stand a prayer dealing with a sixth time zone change in less than 3 weeks in Edmonton. As for Toronto I don't know yet. We will have a better feel in a couple weeks. Fortunately for the Bombers, no team is going to run away with it. It will come down to how teams address their deficiencies and how their young guys improve over the season. Each team has some serious holes.

Montreal. Punting, Cover teams, fourth receiver, one corner.
Hamilton. Short two halfbacks, Center, 2 tackles. Kicker.
Winnipeg. Midle linebacker. Right tackle,center,running back
Toronto. Need to see more, but clearly the Oline is not good enough.

The Als knew exactly where to attack the Bomber defence and did so with ease, except for drops and penalties, the Bombers had no way to stop them.

On the bright side for the Bombers, they manage to get into the red zone 6 or 7 times, that is promising, but had no finish. Bombers are probably a month away from being any sort of consistent contender in the east, lots of work to do.

Nor should you. I wasn't saying that at all. But even the best defense has an off-game. You also lost Suber to injury fairly early and that had an impact on your effectiveness in pass coverage.

They didn't get nearly the pressure they did against BC
We have a better O-line than BC, and I am not sure Winnipeg's pass rush is what it was last season with Willis. Also not clear yet whether replacing Kent with Stewart at SAM was a good move...
- and the couple times they did AC looked hurt from the slightest contact. More pressure and there is no way he has a game like that.
Fair enough, but AC was in a zone last night with his reads and his pocket presence and the Bombers had no answer for Whitaker as a receiver, none. Short curls, flares, wheels, he was making something happen every time he touched the ball.
I have to give it to AC though, he still has great vision on the field, something Buck lacks. First option not there, might as well run
I think Buck had that vision a few years ago, but all the injuries (and specifically, the concussions) have impaired the speed and accuracy with which he reads the field. He was a great talent, but today he is not the same player, sadly.
......Also just by looking at Buck's stance pre snap it is clear it is a running play. We need to do a better job of disguising plays.
[/quote] That's very interesting, I hadn't noticed that. What's the 'tell'?

That's the scary part. Calvillo went 31 for 39, and of those 8 incompletions, three were drops and one was a fumble.

On the bright side for the Bombers, they manage to get into the red zone 6 or 7 times, that is promising, but had no finish.
Still trying to figure out why LaPolice gambled on third and goal when a FG would have put Winnipeg within striking distance and your offense was moving the ball, especially with our crazy number of PI calls and our horrible ST unit giving you good field position.

Agreed about the linebackers. They're using Labbe in the middle, he was keying on Whitaker all game and we all saw what happened. Stewart vs. Kent, I'd keep Kent (although I recognize that they had to get Sears into the secondary so someone had to move). Doe doesn't impress me at all.

Disagree. . .great defence? I don't think so. Great DBs, I'll give you that, but the LB corps and the D Line (without Brown and Willis) are but pale imitations of what they had last season.

Yup, lots of rookies in that Bomber starting dline and LB'ing corps, and lots of work to be done just to get them playing at a competent level, never mind last years level. A silver lining, playing two top notch offenses off the hop exposes what you got and what you need going forward.

I agree that the linebacking corps isn't what it was. The D-line isn't bad, and will likely take some time to come together. You also have to give credit to Calvillo and Whitaker. The way those two were playing last night, it would have been hard for any D-line to get pressure.