Bomber News and Discussion

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes. Won't be surprised if a few top guys get poached.

Do think they should have a strong #2 headed into an 18 game schedule.

1 Like

A strong #2 you mean like a BM? :poop: LOL

3 Likes

I think we both are of the opinion he’s done as a starter. But I would take him as a back up to Zach for a year or two. Or maybe he could just replace Bob Irving. I keep hearing all this talk about how he is the next coming of John Madden in the booth.

2 Likes

I doubt his head would fit in, in Calgary they widened all the doors for his ego. Too much work for a very little uptick. :heavy_check_mark:

3 Likes

Calgary stronger at QB than the Bombers at the moment. No way they do not pay the January bonus to BLM.

Matt Nichols would be a decent guy to have around even from the working with Buck on the next phase plan. He knows the system and he knows his options.

1 Like

Calgary is only stronger right now because Zach is unsigned. It is still early. If Zach signs Winnipeg instantly becomes stronger because they will have the best starter. It’s not always great to have a 1A and 1B as well. That can sow discontent and hurt the confidence of both QB’s and build rust on one or both of them. Hamilton seemed to handle that pretty well this year, but that is probably the exception and we may see come contract time if one or both of Masoli and Evans maybe wasn’t so enamored with that system after all.

Nicholls would seem to be a logical fit as a backup to Zach, but I have doubts that would happen. For one, he would have to take a massive pay cut, although he might not have any other options. If I were the Bombers the health of Nicholls and the fact that he has the weakest arm in North America would scare me away.

2 Likes

Check out the RJ Harris reception in the top 10 receptions of 2021. Nichols arm looked as good as it ever did to me. Not cutting him slack but Ottawa truly did struggle on the O line.

Yes Ottawa did struggle on the Oline and I didn’t see all of their games or the reception you refer to, I think. I have seen Nicholls many times live in Winnipeg, however. Trust me. He doesn’t have much of an arm. While in Winnipeg he was charitably referred to as a good “game manager”.

2 Likes

It's on CFL.ca

1 Like

Me too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us start next season with a stronger #2. Maybe this year we'll try to go in a different direction at backup, like sign a guy who can actually throw.

AFTER we re-sign all of our veteran talent... an impossible task for any ordinary GM, but certainly possible for 'Kyle Walters' aka 'Super GM'... we'll have very little left in the old piggy bank. But somehow Walters is going to sign a serious second stringer. I can feel another off-season miracle coming (no, that's not a bowel movement although I did eat a lot of prune cake this Christmas).

Who's cast off are we gonna poach? Mathew Shiltz perhaps? How 'bout Nichols as a 'Player-Coach'?

2 Likes

Based on Nicholls checkered CFL history - I'd want to stay away from him - if i could.
Bombers are one serious Zorro Collaros nick away from going into a winless spin.
Obviously, the tall foreheads at Bomber control (Danny Mac, Walters, etc.) are unable from finding decent ready-for-action QBs.
So unless they can slip a guy like Schlitz under their cap radar, they'll be stuck with the current convert-holder Maguire. Nicholls, with all his moping and bad attitude in tow, could be a decent short-term plug-in should Zorro go down for a game or two. Nicholls may still be able to hoist a pigskin 55 yards but his velocity is putrid. His escapibility index is virtually zero and his 40 time prolly rivals Chris Walby who's now 68. Even if Nicholls agrees to a degraded $120k contract (PLUS BONUSES) he's still a liability as far as being a team guy and building up guys who need building up!

2 Likes

Yes Nichols is slow, has a weak arm, is slightly overpriced, may not be a team player, could be a liability... but other than all THAT, you're good with Nichols?

3 Likes

Sometimes a 35+ yr old hobo with worn out parts is your best bet. Other than Chris Streveler getting cut (again) and deciding to play out the balance of his career in Canada, Hobo Nicholls is a decent bet while the Bombers search for their own version of Matt Schiltz, Jake Meier, Kevin Glenn, etc.

1 Like

Dakota Prukop checks a lot of boxes. Would have been in Calgary last year if it were not for Jake Maier. Will be surprised if he is re-signed in Edmonton.

1 Like

Seems very little searching is actually going on. Michael O'Conner has as much to offer as Dru Brown but FIFO

1 Like

I like Zac but sort of a sad state for the CFL when he is in the conversation as the best in the CFL.

What the Bombers really need is Justin Medlock II.

All you parents out there get your kids outside practicing throwing and kicking a football.

1 Like

It is still too early to tell what the Bomber QB lineup will look like on opening day 2022.

2 Likes

Arguably they found him, in 2021. The true Grey Cup MOP was Castillo going 5/5 on field goals and booting a critical single point in the dying minutes. Like Medlock, he was money. In fact Medlock missed a field goal in the 2019 GC, not that it mattered. Castillo was hands down the best place kicker in the league last season. Arguments for kickers such as Paredes evaporated when he put his shirt on too tight before the playoffs and ended up choking himself. Both are original Bomber finds in any event. Let’s hope Castillo returns and Paredes stays in Calgary.

2 Likes

I would think Liegghio is the future unless there is a chance he goes home to kick for the TiCats.

2 Likes

Legghio should have been in the running for bomber rookie-of-the-year nominee. His punting was a revelation - lots of kicks to the sidelines where he mitigated a vicious BUT SLOW coverage team by disallowing medium to long runbacks with his boring keek-it=OUT-OF-BOUNDS tedium. His punts weren't Jonny Puntface (Ryan) stadium escapees but they were effective. He was a very useful tool on Bomber teams.
If they can keep Castillo around he'll be as good as Medlock with one caveat - he can kick thru the uprights from 57 to 62 . . . Medlock was pretty much a 55 and in guy - although near-automatic from inside the 45.

1 Like