Bomber News and Discussion 2024

Well said my sea-roaming friend . . ! ! !

Just don’t ask Randy where the promised for 2021 Genius Sports Stats packages are -

His eyes will rapidly dart around like misguided drones

Until he comes to the realization that he must

upon everything else he hasn’t done

Blame someone else!

Randy BlameRosie! Its her fault . . . ! ! !

2 Likes

Mountain O’Shea has a nasty habit of rostering injured players. See last year’s Grey Cup - Bighill, Schoen, several others.

He has to roster Brady O - without Brady O there’s no one left to lug the ball more than 25 or 35 yards.

And if Brady is absent or playing hurt - it torques up the pressure on an already sub-par o-line to protect Pistol Plump (Collaros) from tossing ill-timed pics or trying to take off but caught in bear traps by surly 6’1", 300 lb. defensive linemen.

1 Like

Do you think that at least Johnny Augustine has upside in these regards?

Get him in space in the receiving game, such as with a screen pass, too.

At the very least,
I would agree that alone Augustine and Streveler cannot carry the full load in the running game,
even if yar Mowing Crew resharpen thar blades properly for Week 2,
arrrggh.

Batten down yar hatches ahoy too ye matey.

1 Like

Someone finally picks up Rose. I thank him for his service, but you could see last year before they sat him that he was the weak link along with Houston. We removed one game losing DB to target when we dropped him and Calgary removed the other for us. I do wish him well even though I have my doubts.

2 Likes

I miss DeAundre Alford…

1 Like

At least we have Nichols, who is better. Having Alford as well would be a dream.

No huge surprise as Lawler placed on 6 game and won’t be seen until September probably and Oliveira out at least one game. I have faith in Augustine and thankfully we are playing a team that didn’t play last week and should have tons of rust as a result. Plus we know their QB and his tendencies better than any other in the league,

Note: Depth chart for tomorrow included in the linked article.

2 Likes

OK, that sucks.
He must have aggreviated it more playing last week. He really should have sat as he wasn’t very effective anyways.
Arrg. This season already…

3 Likes

I heard an interview where D. Houston attributed all his success last year to playing beside D. Nichols whom he considers the best DB in the game.

2 Likes

Didn’t hear that interview, but many, including myself, consider Nichols to be the best DB in the game. He has very few stats because no one ever throws to the man he is covering or the zone he occupies. A huge defensive weapon that narrows the field for the opposing offence. Montreal picked on Houston in the dying minutes of the Grey Cup and won as a result. If they picked on Nichols they surely would have lost. We won’t miss Houston one bit. Nichols may very well be their best player and certainly is their best defensive player. I would go as far as to say that he is farther above any DB in the league than Oliveira is above any running back.

The one play last week on which the Bombers blitzed Nichols must have lit up Fajardo’s eyes as he promptly threw a flea flicker and watched 3 other Bomber DB’s bumble into each other and lose coverage. It would be interesting to know whether that play was audibled once Fajardo saw that Nichols wouldn’t be in coverage.

1 Like

Nichols might be the best short defensive back in CFL history. Can’t remember anyone near as good, both positionally and physically. From Bomber lore, perhaps Rod Hill but Hill was nearly 6’1" so that disqualifies him. Paul Williams was also a diamond DB, just can’t remember how tall he was. Historically, the Bombers have always cobbled together a secondary comprising NFL castoffs and Canuck vets. Last year was no exception. I’m sure they considered re-rostering Winny Rose - but the common thinking is that Rose is far too slow and needs too much protection from adjacent defenders. He’ll be a “heavy zone” guy in Ottawa, no doubt.

Mike Miller was a beast special teams player but he’s still adjusting to being a coach. Just because you’re an animal on the field doesn’t mean you can recreate that from the bench. Remember, Mountain O’Shea was the filthiest piece of trash in eastern history but tried to become Dudley DoRight when he became a head coach. Took him 3 or 4 years to adjust. Remember?

1 Like

I don’t know that you won’t miss him “one bit.” Yes, he got victimized in the Grey Cup game – including the one-handed Austin Mack catch that led to the Cole Spieker TD – but he’s still a talented player who can make big plays. He led the league in interceptions in 2023.

I do agree that Nichols will make everyone else in the secondary look better.

1 Like

Yes both last minute big plays in the Grey Cup were made against Houston. As you may not realize, that also happened in numerous other games and some of his muffs cost us other games. Despite his flashy turnover stats he was the weak link in the Bomber secondary in my opinion. The Als knew that. They weren’t throwing at Nichols or Holm when they were desperate to win and down to their last pass. There is no question in my mind that the Bombers secondary will be much stronger this year without Houston and his turnovers but minus the numerous big plays he gave up virtually every game. I have not heard one Bomber fan grumble about his departure.

Now Nichols, if they let him go I might stop being a Bomber fan. He was one of the first 2 or 3 free agents signed as I recall. I think Willie and then him. The Bombers know how valuable he is. So do the other coaches in the league. To my knowledge no other DB in the league is constantly avoided by other offences. I’m not sure very many fans outside of Winnipeg know how good he is, maybe because he is rarely thrown at. I don’t know if I have ever seen a better DB in the league since the days of Juran Bolden.

3 Likes

Lyle, are you talking about ole #27, Paul Bennett? I think he was 5’9" or 5’10". And he was one of my all-time favorites. But if you’re talking about Paul Williams (aka Swan in Phantom of the Paradise), then he was definitely much shorter. :grin:

2 Likes

I believe there was a Paul Williams before there was a Paul Bennett. He played right when I started watching football as a tyke. I think he returned kicks and was #29. Lyle might know better.

1 Like

OMG, Swan played fir the Bombers?!? :wink:That’s good to know, Jon, thanks. I started following the Bombers in Joe Poplawski’s rookie year, so I must have just missed Williams. I had to google him.

1 Like

2 Likes

Bennett was the one. Now into his 70s, Paul Bennett was a beast of a DB and a fierce punt returner, too. In his day he was listed at 5’11" to try and intimidate other teams but he was barely 5’10"

Paul Williams an American import toiled with the Bombers thru some hellacious times but was easily their top drawer DB (corner). Williams is listed at 5’11" - he’s now 77 yrs old

Bennett, a Torontonian resides in Winnipeg and coaches hi-school ball.

2 Likes

If it was 6 man CFL football the Bombers would still be top dawgs!
But its 12 man and the Bombers placed big bets on Collaros, Schoen, Lawler, Demski & Olivera. To a lesser extent they placed a 4-4 split on Bighill, who they knew was in the midst of a career slowdown - and was damaged goods to boot.
You win some and you lose some - I remember how over-joyed the vast maority of Bomber fans were when they retained Schoen, Lawler, Demski & Olivera - only losing Jeffcoats, Houston, Rose, Orange-Green, Bailey, etc.
I will admit it looked like a good bet at the time.
Key phrase = “AT THE TIME”

Holm also really good.

2 Likes