Bomber News and Discussion 2024

The link just directed me to pre-sale of regular season tix, so I guess every home game is the biggest party?

Don’t get me wrong, it is a big party. But it was used in the ad in the singular and I doubt I’d be able to find seats directly beside my tix so I’m not sure what I’d do with more of them.

2 Likes

Word is that John “Shoe” Lu is in his 10th year of studies, now at the University of Manitoba in a graduate program but as you know, also a second-year member of a fraternity, and perhaps will do the games this season as well on TSN after completing his Winnipeg Jets duty.

I bet he’s already in training camp between Stanley Cup Playoff games, and I am not sure what that involves, but it appears beyond his … stylish wardrobe, he’s really into power eating and chugging.

Let’s hope he’ll make the crossover for the games, for our crew aboard at Pirate Sports Network are huge fans too, as is Captain Timbers.

John Lu on his first season covering the Winnipeg Jets for TSN

1 Like

I expect there will eventually be a site generated article, but former Bomber player and exec has passed away at 65. I expect @Lyle_B_Style will have something to say.

ouch. too young.

2 Likes

Bombers just signed an absolute stud of a punter out of the UoT program.

Canadian K/P Dante Mastrogiuseppe will join the Bombers and I assume compete directly with Sheahan for the starting punter job.

Here is his latest film that I’ve studied:

Great signing in my opinion. Averaged almost 49 yards a punt during the showcase. Needs to work on hang time a bit but he can be a real option for Winnipeg.

5 Likes

And I thought El Dante Mastrogiusepe was a pasta dish I had never heard of.

Good to know your opinion on this guy. Their punting last year was far from excellent, unlike their place kicking.

5 Likes

I was reading this short article about players BC released and noticed that the last three paragraphs were about The Stove. He has been moved to the retired list. I guess his Achilles injuries were just too much to overcome.

1 Like

Might be a stud but low-driving punts of up to 50 yds arrive in no time and don’t allow pursuit teams to get into proper positions to defend returns. With proper coaching I suspect this guy will increase his hang time at the cost of lowering his punt average.

1 Like

At least they’re bringing in some meaningful competition. Sheehan can’t even spell hang time.

2 Likes

Correct Bishop Sheehan is strictly a placement punter. His friends are the out of bounds markers. Bit like Old Troy Westwood when they gave him a kick at the cat.

3 Likes

Looks like a few cuts were made today. Nothings been announced by the club yet but I don’t think someone would fabricate this for internet attention;

Sad to see Borregales cut. Dude deserves to play ball. If only he counted as a Global player.

2 Likes

I expect that Derek Taylor would be accurate with his information.

Don’t know much about Jose Borregales, but wouldn’t expect him to beat out the best clutch place kicker in the league.

2 Likes

Apparently he was 17/18 through all his FG attempts.

Some family members are not too impressed with the Bombers.

3 Likes

Anthony Bennett was injury related based on a article on the winnipeg website

3 Likes

Some great names there. I don’t remember John Helton playing for the Bombers. Back in the day when CFRB in Toronto used to carry the Argo games, they would carry the western playoffs as well. Generally Winnipeg would be playing with Jack Wells calling the games. Ernie Pitts and Farrell Funston were good receivers back then with Pleon and Jim Van Pelt at QB. No TV in those days. I kind of miss those days and those legendary broadcasters.

2 Likes

Facts being facts, Cactus Jack Wells wasn’t a very good play by play man. As a young sports writer/broadcaster he kicked around many jobs from the late 40s to the mid-90s. Jack was what I’d call a “personality broadcaster” much like Rotten Rod Black or the like. Not much content but a lot of colors on the palette. Due to extreme alcoholism Jack couldn’t hold a job more than a few years. He hid the alcoholism from most public view with his robust style and working on the edge - most broadcasters in the 50s and 60s were arrow straight and pressed smooth. Booze or no booze, Cactus Jack Wells belongs in the Hall of Fame. He brought attention to a relatively minor northern sport (CFL ball) while helping the game grow. I have several Cactus Jack stories I could share - but not in print.

3 Likes

The Kicker that the Bombers cut before preseason after going 17/18 in camp.

4 Likes

Nice article today on Mr. Fur coat. It’s not mentioned in the article, but I’m beginning to think that the man is responsible for Lemon gambling on games his own team played in. That and FanDuel ads. :grin:

3 Likes

No worries, he owes the Evil Family on some fronts on the back end of his future success, and they have assured me that he is not amongst the cheats.

As for the others entertaining the proposition even in their sleep, mwah ha ha ha ha …
:skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

While Bomber offense being portrayed as the CFL’s next BIG BAD their defense is in shambles.

Adam “Biggy Biggs” BIghill placed on the 6 game Injury reserved. Hurt himself off-season training.

Bighill has always been a beast whether in BC or now in the Peg. But Father Time has finally caught up to this amazing man, this beast amongst beasts.

No wonder Richie Hall was forced to accentuate his bend but don’t break D. Bighill was rapidly losing his speed and his edge - now he’s beset by an eroding body.

Don’t think Kyle Walters went to work this winter trying to find a replacement part for Bighill - there just aren’t any. Now they have to. A replacement part is needed. Who knows whether Biggy will play any ball this year - or if the tall foreheads in Wpg are just trying to patch him up to play the last 6 to 8 games of the season + playoffs.

With Bighill out and Jeffcoats retired, Bomber D will rely more and more on one thing this season - THE BOMBER OFFENSE!

Anyways, Salute to Warrior Bighill. They just don’t make 'em like that anymore!

3 Likes