Bomber News and Discussion 2024

I’d hope we can get Strev in a groove passing the ball. His throws lastweek were often behind, he’s got to be better there. If he can complete a few throws and move the ball through the air, defenses will give him a little more room to run.
I also think we should be getting Wilson in more on shortyard plays, can’t afford Strev getting hurt going kamikazie.

Good to see Holm stay in the lineup.

3 Likes

I thought that Strev was off early but in all fairness those were his first meaningful live action throws of the season. By the end of the game he was humming. He may not be Peyton Manning, but I think his throwing ability is unfairly criticized by many. He didn’t stick around the NFL for several years only because of his running ability.

Last week Zach threw for 55 yards in the first half with one IT. About par for the course for him this year. Strevs threw for 170 yards in the second half with one TD pass, the Bombers first of the year. If you double Streveler’s stats to reflect a full game 340 yards would have been among the league leaders last week and miles ahead of anything Zach has been able to accomplish this year. I’m not so sure that Zach’s injury is necessarily a bad thing and we do have the best backup QB in the league. Let’s see what he can do and not bring Zach back until he is 100%.

2 Likes

I have to believe Streveler has a stronger passing arm than Collaros - even Collaros 2022. Biggest difference is Collaros usually puts a ton of air under his throws and had patented his infamous ENdzone TD Underthrow until opposing DCs got wind of the situation.
Streveler is more of a horizontal passer, not a ton of air, thus not much time for WRs to adjust to slightly errant tosses.
Neither Chris nor Zach have what you call BIG BOMB arms like Ralph Brock, Matt Dunigan, Warren Moon, AC Calvillo, etc. so they have to rely on that uncanny combination of routes & air.

3 Likes

I for one, am still not sold on Streveler’s passing ability, or even his offensive IQ - which is where Zach is light years ahead.
I sure wish he can prove me wrong tomorrow and put up 300 yards passing.

2 Likes

He might. We’ll see. He has outperformed Zach by a wide margin so far this year. Led a clutch drive to get it to OT. Zach couldn’t punch it in with a first down in similar circumstances from the 7 against Ottawa which probably would have won the game.

4 Likes

“We’re off the bottom!!!” Is what you wanna hear when you find yourself aboard a submarine that was hopelessly stuck on the ocean floor. Next week we battle Calgary for a share of 3rd place in the West and we’re planning to close all of our screen doors and windows this time before we dive. Full speed ahead!

Any sign of Lucky Whitehead? I can’t see anything out of this water-logged periscope. :beaver:

4 Likes

Streveler the most popular back up in CFL history? I think probably so.

7 Likes

Gotta get Chris a copy of DIck Thornton’s book, “PIGSKIN POET”. Chris is the first guy to really remind me of legendary Bomber and Argo QB/RB/DB Dick Thornton. . . . aka “Tricky Dicky”

more 'bout Thornton

Dick Thornton (Canadian football) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Yeah. He set up the Argos for a big Grey Cup win with his late-game INT against Calgary in that Empire Stadium monsoon. Too bad X-Ray McQuay fumbled.

2 Likes

Well shall we say after their first win that the Blue Bombers have made the CFL that much more interesting, like usual in recent years!?

Wow that Mowing Crew with Streveler, via his strong-bearded command, was out in full force in that game. Captain Strongbeard himself of the other ship even stated as much in a message flown in to our Captain Timbers!

Even Matt Dunigan was impressed, telling the studio set in response to a question at halftime about offensive strategy, essentially:
“Screw that! They’ll just keep running the ball and doing what’s working.”

It was then that I felt quite strongly, in line with @GridironGirl 's recommendation, that it would have been the optimal moment for product placement with a bucket of the new “Colonel Dunny’s Chicken” slapped forcefully upon the desk, but I digress.

And by jove and damnit, the Blue Bombers sure did activate the Mowing Crew into top gear and won, and from the first touchdown and after victory it was celebratory brawls all night with fine strong drink aboard, and rightfully so.

Then when I read news like this,

I have to wonder now if these Blue Bombers will even upgrade that Mowing Crew to BLUE THUNDER COMBINE for one of these games!?
:exploding_head:

1 Like

4 Likes

Hey we got Zach Collaros back under centre. Nice. In another week we’ll get Lucky Whitehead back on our starting roster catching passes (he was with us at the beginning of our Grey Cup run in 2019), and a couple weeks later we’ll add Kenny Lawler to the mix. Our offense is getting steadily better. Who knows, we might have a scary good team again in time for the Labor Day Classic. :beaver:

6 Likes

I’d give Lawler at least another couple weeks before he’s restored to the Bomber lineup.
In any event, with a couple recent nicks on his frame, Kenny Lawler will be all the more wary when involved in contact hits, taking tackles, etc. Injuries don’t cause you to quit - but they sure make one wary - and wariness can decrease performance.

2 Likes

Nice Bomber crest for your avatar. Sure beats the orange site issued one. I can’t recall ever seeing that one before.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the day that some new merch comes out with it. I missed out a small number of years back and regret not getting it there and then.

1 Like

We got a WR boys!
Hopefully Clercius can stick around too though, I have liked him. I think he’ll be a good one by next year.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Jones in at LB and Garbutt off the IR to start at DE
Looks like we’re trying to solidify the run stop.
Hope it works…whichever team can establish/stop the rush will be key.

Also hope Case can make a couple plays.

3 Likes

Agreed! Especially with Hardrick out, the Bombers should hopefully contain the Rider run game. Although Ouellette is always dangerous.

Looks like no Whitehead yet at receiver or kick return. Aside from his pre-season return for td, Chris Smith has not really inspired. Hopefully, newly rehabbed Case can make a good case for himself.

5 Likes