Bomber News and Discussion 2023

https://forums.cfl.ca/t/bombers-extend-db-alden-darby-through-23/83790?u=jon

Darby is signed for one year. Not a bad thing. He has played well for the Bombers.

One more to strike off of Cup’s free agent list. One big remaining question is Demski, who may be heading to free agency it appears.

1 Like

With Darby signing, the Bomber secondary is back intact.

Now they need to solidify the LB and D-line positions.

Free agent chats begin today, so hopefully they can lure the missing pieces to the “Dark Side D” if the current players don’t sign.

1 Like

Just noticed that they still need to sign Nick Taylor from their secondary.

Houston will be back and the other 4, (including Alexander) that finished the season are back so they are in good shape.

*Losing Ford sucked, but good for him.

As good as Taylor is, with him being injury prone, and at 34, he may be in the same category as Mercy Maston.

With the Hallets and other signings, I think they are in a good place right now.

1 Like

DD is a great OLineman, sucks we couldn’t get him back.
Couture I think is gone. He’ll be getting lots of offers & $$.
Kolankowski did good at C, and Eli will back him up.

1 Like

https://forums.cfl.ca/t/staying-home-demski-signs-three-year-extension-with-bombers/83796?u=jon

Well the big one has dropped. Demski signs for three years!

Hoping that Sayles and Bailey still follow.

3 Likes

Take Nik Demski off the list. Heck yeah!!

2 Likes

Since the Bombers traded for Lawler last season but were scuttled by the injury he suffered in his last game for Edmonton I have been musing about him rejoining us. It appears that there may be some action on that front. I could live with the best QB in the league throwing to the best receiver in the league. The article also mentions that the Bombers have no plans to re sign Ellingson, which I have no problem with.

1 Like

yea that would be a great signing and could spell trouble for the rest of the west division. i bet Lawler would love to have Collaros tossing the oblong pigskin his way again…

1 Like

Great news. Although not officially signed yet Lawler appears to be back in the fold! I personally consider him the best receiver in the league.

https://www.tsn.ca/star-receiver-kenny-lawler-joining-blue-bombers-with-two-year-deal-1.1916208

4 Likes

Lawler would complete a solid receiving core. Some db buildup and the boys are ready to rumble.

1 Like

Lawler being back is fantastic. I wonder how much the contract costs the Bombers going forward. I assume this means Ellingson is gone. Also, what about Bailey? Will he be back in blue and gold this year? I hope so.

Lawler was reportedly asking for $1 million for three years. He signed for two years. Maybe $280-300,000 per? I’m sure we’ll find out sooner or later.

Articles today confirmed that Ellingson not being offered a contract. I’m ok with that. Nothing against him but age and injuries taking a toll. He might even retire.

I love Bailey but it will probably be tough to fit him in. He apparently made $138,000 last year and had the touchdown of the year. The top three receivers look like Lawler, Schoen (on a rookie contract) and Demski. Also Wolitarsky and with Agudochi waiting in the wings. Hard to see Bailey fitting in that powerhouse corps but maybe I am wrong.

2 Likes

Man, it's great to be a Bomber fan!

Kenny must have been kicking himself for leaving in the first place, your article says he took less money to sign someplace else. Tire fires get boring after awhile.....Welcome back Kenny!
Can you imagine having both Schoen & Lawler?

3 Likes

I wonder ? Did we really need Lawler back ? A lot of money for a player, while good, we really didn't miss. Coulda used that coin for some others.

Maybe we didn’t need him but you could say that about any one player except maybe for Zach. I think having him is great and as I said consider him to be the best receiver in the league. He can be a difference maker. And no other team in the league can boast having the best receiver and best QB. Great to have.

1 Like

You forgot a top level running back as well. I think Oliveira will benefit from this amazing receiving core.

Now if there was a magic ball that could tell us now if Schoen will be back. Wow…if he does come back :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I think if you get a chance to add one of the best players at his position, you do it. You just have to figure out the rest after. But players will often take less $$ knowing they have a shot at a championship.

2 Likes

And several Bombers have taken less both last year and this year. They can make up some or all of that with playoff bonus money which Lawler for example wasn’t getting in Edmonton.

2 Likes

Well we can’t sign ‘em all. It appears that Sayles will sign with the Ticats.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/08/hamilton-tiger-cats-agree-to-terms-with-dl-casey-sayles/