Bomber News and Discussion 2022 (Other than free agency)

Here's another one the Bombers tweeted during the game. Not as funny as the air horn video, but deflating nonetheless.:smile:

3 Likes

I read that Montrealers' response to complaints about the horn noise was essentially "get used to it, we like it".

I just thought of a great response. My mother used to tell about neighbors doing organizing shivaree when a couple got married. Everyone quietly assembled around the targeted house with anything they could find to make loud raucous noise on signal. She explained that my grandfather's weapon of choice was a blade from a disc harrow hung from a piece of wire which he struck repeatedly with a LARGE machine bolt. Mom said nobody EVER managed to drown him out, no matter how they tried. Imagine a few hundred people with such equipment with tickets to seats right behind the visitors' bench on Thursday night.

1 Like

Sounds like your Grandfather was an original member of Machine Bolt.

I can picture him on stage in Montreal ripping a solo on the Electric Disk Harrow, then smashing it to pieces as the crowd chants, "SHIVAREE!!!" while blowing their air horns for maximum annoyance!

And at that moment the lead singer screams to the couple in front of him, "I now pronounce you man and wife! Goodnight Montreal!!!" :partying_face:

1 Like

Not too likely. Born Per Olsson in Rengsjö Hälsingland (Sweden) 1884.
Emigrated to US in 1903 where immigration officials respelled his name as Peter Olson. Farmer for many years in South Dakota. Died in Minnesota 1967. Sadly, he never took an interest in football.

2 Likes

Whoa... Mom's parents did the same thing. Only they came over from Iceland and farmed in North Dakota before moving up to Lundar Manitoba. They raised twelve kids and mom was the youngest. :smiley:

Iceland is a country that really interests me. I wish I'd had an opportunity to visit the country but changing planes in Keflavik four times is NOT visiting the country. The food on Iceland Air was great, but It's tough to brew good beer where hops AND barley have to be imported. The people I met were all wonderful!

1 Like

A few of my late Aunts went there to visit. Two of them went more than once. Mom never went. She did love Icelandic treats though. We still keep our fingers crossed that someone makes or brings some vinarterta every Christmas. :grin:

I read an article in the Sun where Lawler claimed he was going to catch some long throws or get some PI's called against the Bombers. Neither of those happened. We'll have to wait till Oct 8th to see if he can do it then, but the Edmonton offence is going to have to deal with the crowd noise.

1 Like

All in fun @BomberFanForever! I doubt we will be a serious threat until next year.....

1 Like

I think you're right Squishy. You guys are going to be GREAT between Jan 1st 2023 and the opening of training camp. I see Chris Jones pulling off amazing trades and signing all sorts of free agents. On paper the Elks are going to be killers. After that we'll see what kind of monster emerges from the rubble.

I just hope it doesn't play us first. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That's providing Jones is still in Edmonton.

1 Like

I THINK his mandate (to rebuild at all costs) extends to the beginning of next season and maybe a little beyond. But I could be wrong and often am. :grinning:

2 Likes

There's the chance he can bolt at any time.

1 Like

Not if they keep enough chocolate donuts on hand. From the looks of him Jones is eating for two.

3 Likes

What the Elks need to do is take the GM spot away from Jones. Hire a GM that will keep a tighter rein on Jones. Hire some scouts who can find players instead of having Jones sign 3 players who haven't played in 2 or 3 years. How well did that work out, if I recall correctly one of them re-retired before the season even started.

1 Like

It's not good when the only direction your team can go is up and you're still stuck in the basement months later. I'm sure that Chris Jones' overlords are in a dark place right now.

1 Like

We might be sitting Bighill as well. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Hopefully there won’t be too many missing, although obviously no need to risk someone iffy that would play if it was a playoff game but not otherwise. The bye week can’t come fast enough, although 0’Shea said on his coaches show Monday night that no one is allowed to use the term “bye week” until this week’s game is in the books. More of that laser focus and the one game at a time approach the Bombers are known for.

3 Likes

True, but it doesn't put you in the same position as BC, Calgary, and Toronto who now only have one bye week between here and the end of the season. Calgary and Toronto may not have the opportunity to rest people and may be involved in a semifinal and possibly a final with no rest between.

2 Likes

That’s something I am looking forward to. Let’s see if they can match the Bombers in 2019.

1 Like