Bomber News and Discussion 2022 (Other than free agency)

'outraged victims' and 'avid fans'

That's me every time the price of beer goes up.:beer::beer: cheers.

2 Likes

Maybe by the time Harris shows up in Winnipeg things will have smoothed over a bit.

2 Likes

I'd love to see some overconfident defensive back try to jam him at the line or even a linebacker.

1 Like

I'm going to go with I'll hold onto my vodka (used to be whisky please understand, but no more of that and now I can't get my Russian Standard any more!), you hold onto your beer on this one sir.

The more I read about the apprehension about players leaving for the USFL, the more I am also seeing news like the following many times a week:

One glaring difference is indeed, as you point out, a USFL player has an easier leap to the NFL should he be amongst the elite of the USFL.

Like you though I remain completely uncertain though otherwise no doubt the terms of a CFL contract will change in light of the new reality. How and all that I have no clue, but there will be change.

We know from experience as do the teams, that there are at least ten players who are of the calibre and potential to play in the NFL for every one who actually makes it and sticks for regular season play. Some grow late into NFL capability via the CFL of course.

The vast numbers of them either end up back in the CFL or out of football altogether.

Now a player has to decide whether to go to an ESTABLISHED league and develop as well with established coaching systems, or whether to take a shot on a new outfit perhaps to stay closer to home.

Sometimes their agents are goading them with NFL aspirations for their own interests in having more clients, and I feel that these players might be misled sometimes.

The open question is how many will flip to the CFL should the USFL or the XFL not make it yet again.

1 Like

A 257 lb receiver bulldozing a 165 lb defensive back would make the blooper reel. If Hodges wanted to he could just pick the little guy up and carry him down the field to the endzone.

1 Like

Kyle Walters worked some under-the-radar magic this week:

It should have read “the bulk of” the free agency period is done.

Don’t know anything about this guy. You? Looks like he is still developing.

1 Like

He might be a raw talent that Adam Bighill will mold into a force... or not. The only thing we can be certain of is that Kyle Walters saw something that Chris Jones missed. I'm going to err on the side of genius and declare this signing a victory for the Blue and Gold.

1 Like

Agreed. Walters to date has a few more genius points in the bank than Jones.

1 Like

Absolutely. One man's trash is another's "holy crap did you see what that guy just threw out?!!"

2 Likes

Our Global Great Thiadric Hansen is lending a helping hand:

3 Likes

Good for him! I already liked him more than Ovechkin, but now it’s not even close.

Interestingly the article also seems to indicate that he probably won’t be back as he can only be paid $54,000, which is $11,000 less than the league minimum. I didn’t know the Bombers had offered him more but were nixed by the league. Some global initiative! I guess the object is to get as many borderline players into the league on practice squads as possible and as soon as they become good enough to play, like Hansen, then boot them out. Typical CFL bumbling.

2 Likes

I HOPE that's not what's happening here. Thiadric deserves better.

1 Like

Interestingly the article also seems to indicate that he probably won’t be back as he can only be paid $54,000, which is $11,000 less than the league minimum. I didn’t know the Bombers had offered him more but were nixex by the league. Some global initiative!

If he wanted a raise, The team would have to give up his Global status.

1 Like

I'd give him bonus money then and dig my feet in if the league gave me any lip.

1 Like

Which of course makes no sense. Global is meant to denote from outside of the US or Canada. It has nothing to do with your salary so how can it be justified to remove the geographical label because he is paid more?

We already know the National designation rules are a joke and it appears that the Global designation rules are there as well. I heard an unreliable rumour that Hansen's father once visited Winnipeg's German community so that should make Hansen a National. Similarly, any CFL player that has visited overseas, or even went to Cancun on holiday, should be considered Global.

When will the CFL ditch these stupid, hypocritical rules that are holding back the on field product and the game overall? Not to mention making the league look bush.

1 Like

Could it be that the CFL doesn't know that these "stupid, hypocritical rules are holding back the on field product and the game overall?"

Or could it be that none of this can be addressed until the Players Union hammers out a new agreement?

1 Like

I’m not sure the players union cares about the Global players enough to make it an issue. I understand that the system of paying less to Globals is similar to the NFL system. I can see them making less if they are marginal players at best, which many of them are. The CFL minimum is far more than players from Mexico, for example, can earn doing almost anything else, including playing football, in their home country.

When there is a success story, like Hansen, however, I fail to see the rationale in drawing the gun and aiming for the foot. Not being able to pay someone like Hansen more because he earned it without him losing Global status makes the Global program a joke and means it is set up to fail. Another argument for removing all anti competitive country designations, although I am pretty sure we would never have had Hansen if not for the Global program.

2 Likes

On comparatively slow news days, sometimes there's little or nothing better than supposing to suppose what others are supposed to do. Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

I suppose...