Bomber Free Agency Discussion 2024

A moody and disgruntled Chad Kelly took a dump in the eastern final. Now, the Argos are starting to leak oil. Lots of influential players fleeing the scene of the crime.
Anyways, the eastern power centre goes thru Montreal now. Als havent’ lost much of a beat other than Mack to southern forces. Great defense, ready to peel Zach & others off the gridiron.

Bombers have only been rib-rocked by the loss of Hardick. A big loss, but not the end of the world. Losing Hardick meant there was more money for Schoen & Oliveira, if they took a bit of a shave. They did.

Bigger worry now is losing Demerius Houston to Calgary. Hardick will be replaced (cheaper, not better) but I’m very excited to have Zach, Streveler, Schoen, Oliveira, Lawler & Willy J back inside the circus tent.

Biggest problem is still ageing vets. Willy J needs to take every second play off. Bighill is a genius but playing on borrowed time. Interior o-line is a Stephen King horror story in the making.

5 Likes

Now I’m wondering about 'Sheed. I mean, I was resigned to losing him, because even last year, it was likely going to happen, and it was only possible to get him because he was a class act and decided that his team, the entity towards which he had devoted himself and sacrificed for, etc., was worth more than the extra 25 grand he could get elsewhere…and this year, the proverbial belt is even tighter. But now that it seems like they’re getting the band back together, and the most critical moves are already a fait accompli (with Oliveira, Schoen, Woli, and even Strevs coming back), does he make the same choice, knowing that everybody else has sacrificed a similar magnitude of salary increase that he would be due by playing elsewhere, to play with their buddies in Blue & Gold again? Not going to lie, 'Sheed’s blocking is S-tier, and it would be amazing to see him put it (and his quality work as a target) to use in another potential Cup run with the Bombers. I think last year proved to him that being the 3rd-best receiver on a team has its benefits - the opposition tends to ignore you, which can lead to some incredible offensive gains. I wouldn’t be THAT mad if he signed elsewhere, but it would be a big loss - bigger than Hardrick or Houston, imo.

4 Likes

Agree with you on Bailey. His value to the Bombers is underrated. There are many posters on other team forums, especially Hamilton, that recognize this and his blocking ability and would love to have him.

One positive is that he hasn’t agreed with any other team yet and the Bombers were never going to sign him until the big dominoes fell one way or the other. We’ll find out shortly I expect.

4 Likes

Holy Crap, just saw we signed both Brady & Dalton! Add Strevy and it looks like we’re shooting for 5 straight finals!

I was preparing for a meh season, but already have high hopes yet again!

7 Likes

Agree with most of what you said except for Houston.

Despite his interceptions he was their Achilles heel. Gave up way too many big plays, especially in the last minute or so of the Grey Cup. In my opinion he wasn’t worth what other teams might pay him because of his IT totals.

They have a budding all star in Holm and Parker is coming along nicely. They still have the best in the business in Nichols, whom they wisely signed early and didn’t even let get close to free agency. Unlike Houston he in fact made the big play in the last minute of the Grey Cup and now no team would dare throw to the man he is covering in such a clutch situation.

We have the Hallett brothers for depth. Not sure what they have in mind for Alexander but they might consider him to be past his best before date, although I wouldn’t be upset if they re signed him. Where’s Mercy Maston? Is he healed yet? :slightly_smiling_face:

In any event I think that DB is one of the easiest positions to fill along with running back with ample American talent available and the Bombers have a pretty sparkling history of finding high quality pass defenders.

6 Likes

From purely a roster standpoint, and not at reflecting on the actual individual, Houston is replaceable. Ballhawks are typically. Calgary needs his explosive plays.

4 Likes

Bombers need the odd Pik6, too. Houston gives you that. Although he’ll run a few extra risks - but so will most Bomber DBs. Bomber secondary also ravaged for heavy yardage by good opposing QBs. One less game-breaker on D is how I see it - although if it helped shore up the great re-signings then so be it.
Find another import DB Kyle

3 Likes

Alexander is a very experienced and capable DB/safety - but his best days are behind him. Kinda the Adam Bighill of the secondary. Just a bit too sluggish - gives too much space in both man and zone coverage. Not a great combination.

2 Likes

Agreed. But he still hits damn hard.

4 Likes

I guess Parker takes Houston’s CB spot & Holm stays as HB with Nichols

So is Rose still under contract for the other DB spot, or is that a FA priority?

Rose is a FA. Maybe someone will sign him but the Bombers won’t and he may be done. They didn’t even dress him when it counted last year.

2 Likes

I’d be game with a secondary core of Parker, Holm, Hallett, and Nichols.

2 Likes

Ricky Walker is going to Calgary. Bombers are going to need a couple of interior D-linemen.

2 Likes

I was hoping we wouldn’t lose him, but I will try to take the bad with the good.

Let’s make sure we have a good place kicker. Hopefully nowhere else for Sergio to go.

3 Likes

Yep, there’s been unexpected good news this week.
Hoping DannyMac & crew can continue their magic for the D-line and D-backs.
Gonna be difficult to replace Hardrick. He’s got a maybe a couple of years left in him so I don’t blame him for cashing in while he can.

3 Likes

Especially for $230,000.

I read on the Alouette forum that backup O Lineman Richardson has retired, but I haven’t seen that in any media yet. Not sure when so I could easily have missed it. Apparently the Bombers would only offer him the minimum so he took a hike. Maybe he’s in the management program at McDonald’s. If there were any plans to elevate him those are out the window. We sure are thin on both lines.

2 Likes

Us Bomber fans have been spoiled the last few years with so little turnover. These few defections are causing a little bit of anxiety.
Trust in Walters, McManus, Goveia, and Penn!

2 Likes

And Brandon returns as well.

2 Likes

What an extensive write-up by Ed Tait via the System about Streveler, who is so grateful he’s gloating in appreciation for our having kidnapped him back via our successful Operation Strong Beaver / Operation Soused Claus.

Things are lining up so well for the team now, so may everybody make it to camp healthy and ready to go at full force for the first game, for we all want to see a strong and roaring start in the play in the 2024 CFL season.

2 Likes

Holm. We have Holm…and I think he will get his fair share of picks, at least a couple of which will go to the house. I was really impressed with him last year; I actually think he has the potential to be better than Houston, and more consistent too. So I’m not worried about our DB situation. Our O-line however, needs some work. And as I said in an earlier post, I’m hoping that they can find a way to get ‘Sheed back, because he was a critical component of the Bombers’ offense. Plus, he’s a character guy, the man you want on the sideline when you’re down a few points, and the 3-minute warning has just happened. I don’t know if they can make it happen, but I would be seriously upset if he signed with another team, because it means that he is not being properly valued by the Blue&Gold.

4 Likes