Bomber Free Agency Discussion 2022

We are nearing the February 8th free agency deadline and I expect there will be considerable discussion over the next week or so. The Bombers still have several potential prominent free agents to sign (or not) such as The Stove, Lawler, Adams and Harris/Oliveira. They will also no doubt sign a free agent or two from elsewhere, including, I expect (hope?), a backup QB. There are and will be numerous separate threads for free agents that sign around the league, but there is no separate thread for Bomber fans, with the only recent Bomber thread being created by a non Bomber fan. I am creating this thread so that Bomber fans can discuss, praise, criticize and speculate on free agency over the next week or so. To start, feel free to speculate on who we should still be signing, who we can afford to lose and which free agents from other teams might be a good fit in Blue and Gold.

3 Likes

We still need one of AH/BO at RB + an Imp RB at camp
Another experienced imp WR + a bunch imp WR at camp
1 moreNI OL for depth + an Imp at camp
1 more experienced DT (do we have Walker/Sayles under contract??)
1 more LB at WILL
at least 2 more experienced DB/HB/SAM + a bunch imp at camp

Still lots to do...

2 Likes

Agree with all above.

Would hope to see another QB, be it FA or by trade/ released from other teams. Someone with some CFL experience.

I would bet dollars to to donuts Walters and crew still have a couple players come to the land of plenty that will shock us and Piss off a few of our most popular naysayers.

2 Likes

Agreed. Just as some Bombers take a discount to stay, I expect there will be a free agent or two that would take a discount to come to Winnipeg.

2 Likes

So far Kyle Walters has done an amazing job resigning our Free Agent national talent. Aside from three backups, only our remarkable Andrew Harris remains. I hate to say it... but the decision to spend big money on the best Canadian running back we ever had might not be the right one. Harris missed half the season last year. Walters might've already decided to move on and spend our dwindling resources elsewhere. It's a given that soon to be rich guy Kenny Lawler's going elsewhere. I'm hoping we keep the Stove but he too might be out of our price range. Thiadric Hansen should be resigned. His energy is contagious.

Of the free agents out there I'm thinking Walters takes a shot at a National or two. That's his secret sauce right? Building great Canadian talent on a budget:

Zack Williams (OL) (6' 5") age 24, he's big at 305 lbs and he's a Manitoban,
Hergy Mayala (WR) (6' 1") age 26, had a down year in 2021 but caught 38 passes for 562 yards in 2019.
Shaquille Johnson (WR) (6' 0") age 28, also had a down year in 2021 but caught 39 passes for 597 yards in 2019.
Michael O'Connor (QB) (6' 5") 235 lbs at age 25 he might be the biggest diamond in the rough in free agency.

1 Like

Yes Walters has done very well and the whole organization deserves credit for building a culture that players want to be a part of. We all know that was almost never the case in the past. We are now paying the price for success in a salary cap word, but doing pretty well all the same.

I think you had posted on Harris previously and I agreed with you. If they were anywhere close they probably would have gotten it done by now considering his high profile. I would also earmark what money remains for other positions. If the Bombers and Harris can’t work out a deal that say might include post career employment in the organization, I think Harris will have to decide whether to go somewhere else for one year for $50,000-80,000 more or retire.

I hope the Stove and Hansen resign as well. Stove replaced Nevis and exceeded his level of play to negate that loss, but I don’t think we have anything comparable in the pipeline.

The only free agent I would be leery about on your list is Mayala. He simply drops too many balls. We already had Bowman and Incompletersen do that for us in the past. Wolitarsky is no speedster, but is a reliable second down possession receiver and I don’t think that Mayala would be an improvement. I wouldn’t mind seeing Petermann back in Winnipeg. His price might be too high although you never know after a down season.

2 Likes

Remember we gave up on Bowman and another team (I think it was Edmonton) took a chance on him at about the same time that he finally figured out how to catch a football? We were so close to being rewarded for our patience.

Anyway, if I had to bet on which of my picks would eventually make the biggest impact on our roster I'd have to go with O'Conner. We'd have to wait a year or two to find out mind you.

1 Like

Have to agree with Jon, maybe its time to let the other thread die.

Brady & Taylor now signed:

We still need an Imp RB at camp
Another experienced imp WR + a bunch imp WR at camp
1 moreNI OL for depth + an Imp at camp
1 more experienced DT (do we have Walker/Sayles under contract??)
1 more LB at WILL
at least 1 more experienced DB/HB/SAM + a bunch imp at camp

1 Like

Good breakdown of our needs. My guess is we have as few a holes left to fill as any team. It's great that we got 2 more at the last minute. Maybe one or two more to come? Agree with Maaax on Harris. If he can't accept what the Bombers offer and wants to still play, he will have to move on. And I sincerely wish him all the best.

3 Likes

Agree. We'd all love to have him back, but he has to accept a lesser role.
Hardly a smear on anyone, and anyone suggesting that is purely trolling. Maybe best if we all block him & report his posts.

3 Likes

Santa will be good to us this year (by 'Santa' I mean 'Kyle Walters'). We're going to be the best team under budget because we have the smartest front office. It used to be Hufnagel who got all the best beef for less. Now it's Walters. :partying_face:

2 Likes

I hate flagging someone, but he has more than earned it. It wouldn't disappoint me if someone did for his Bomber thread trolling and I would be very tempted if it continues. After negatively posting 8-10 times on our thread basically in a row and being called out for it by me, he took a two week or so vacation from doing so. He is now back, going after Doug Brown and with more criticisms and predictions of doom for the organization. I think I could justify flagging someone for attacking a group more easily than attacking me personally, which doesn't faze me.

Interestingly, The Jackal (code name from Forsythe novel) was "in the shit " on one of the Ticat threads not too long ago. After being told to bugger off far less politely than we told him the same thing, he disappeared for a few weeks. Maybe he felt the wrath of a mod? Maybe not.

It led me to thinking that this site should probably have some sort of "Naughty Corner" where those who have been disciplined should be listed, with a summary of their transgressions and sentence. A bit like the Mexican drug cartels hanging their victims from bridges for all to see. I'm not interested in the macabre part of this and am not an "inquiring mind" in that sense, but it might be instructive for others to be able to reference who has been a consistent troublemaker and what sorts of things will get someone suspended. It also helps keep the Mods consistent and accountable. This open concept is used by many professional organizations, including Law Societies, who generally pioneered it. When Mrstallion was suspended not long ago it was announced right in the offending thread by the Mod, including the length. If there have been other suspensions of late I have not seen them announced anywhere. At the very least all suspensions or no suspensions should be announced. It is unfair to the suspendee to announce just the odd one at random, singling them out as a bad apple while there are probably several others.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Only way to deal with this guy.

2 Likes

I guess that's 'progress'. Where's the fast forward button on this thread to get to tomorrow's first day of Free Agency? I'm like a kid with no money waiting for the candy store to open. If I keep my nose pressed up against the window something good will happen. I just gotta believe. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

At least, currently. The Bombers"safe site" is open and welcoming to all who enjoy posting on the posted topic. You're certainly encouraged to state a (your) fair opinion. We all have a sense of humor for the occasional dig(s), just be prepared to on the receiving end afterwards.

Continuous bad mouthing the team or their membership is unacceptable and will be suggested to move on or be flagged.

It's Christmas Eve all over again, except this time I get something I really want. How many ties can one person wear while snowblowing and cutting grass.

3 Likes

I don't know how I managed to send two replies in one window.:thinking:

If I ever figure out what I did, I will be able to multitask.

Pissing off several people in one shot. Pow Pow, got ya.

3 Likes

You're some kind of unconscious genius Private WeGotTheCup!

3 Likes

Uh oh. The poverty amongst CFL giants is spreading. We've not the only ones looking under the cushions for spare change in free agency right now.

1 Like

Who's more of a priority: Adams or Alexander? I'd have to say Alexander.
If his name wasn't known league wide before lastyear, it sure is now.

1 Like

If Alexander was a Canadian operating at that level I'd say absolutely. As it stands I can't say for sure. If money is as tight as I'm led to believe then the cheaper of the two might be our ONLY option. This is where Kyle Walters blows our minds and somehow manages to sign both of them.

2 Likes