Bomber Fan Dies After Fall

Saturday, August 5, 2006 - 08:00PM

TORONTO (CFL) - The Canadian Football League (CFL) wishes to extend its deepest sympathies to the family of a fan who passed away this morning following an accident during last night's game between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

In confirming the incident, Commissioner Tom Wright stated, "This is a difficult and tragic day for all of us across the CFL. We all understand the importance and significance of the fans, who are our greatest supporters.?

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Football Club would like to extend its heartfelt sympathy and condolences to the family of the fan who passed away as the result of an accident which occurred during Friday night’s game between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The football club has been cooperating fully with the authorities as they investigate this unfortunate accident and will continue to do so.

“The important thing right now is the individual’s family as they deal with their loss,? said Winnipeg Blue Bombers President and CEO Lyle Bauer. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very difficult time.?

Contrary to an earlier published report, there have been no prior comments made by any Winnipeg Football Club officials with respect to this accident.

The Winnipeg Football Club will not be commenting further pending an investigation.

That is absolutely terrible. My condolences go out to his family and friends. And I stress about silly and unimportant things, and easily forget that life is way too short. Terribly sad news.

Wow i send my regards to the family.

Wow what exaclty happened? Where did he fall from? My regards also go out to this family

There are different reports on what happend but most people who said they saw the incident said he was so drunk that he could barely stand.. Then he stumbled down the stairs and tried to catch himself and ended up going over the rail...

This happened in the north endzone and next to the safeway fun zone where a lot of kids sit..

Very unfortunate incident..

Again all is speculation at this point on if he was drunk and how he fell.. that will come out in the coming days.

That's so terrible, GT.

well, if he was drunk and it can be proven that he was served at the stadium, then I smell a very deserved law suit.

WINNIPEG SUN Saturday, August 5

There was a scary moment at Canad Inns Stadium last night when a fan fell about four metres from the north end zone stands and onto the concrete surrounding the field.

Special duty officers and paramedics attended to the man at the scene and he was taken to hospital in stable condition shortly after 7 p.m.

Patrick Matte, who was taking in the game, said he saw the man stumbling before he fell. He said he saw the man at the top of the stairs in the north end zone when he tried to turn left to go down the stairs.

He suddenly lost his balance, stumbled to the right towards the railing, and flipped over the side.

"Just as I looked up he was stumbling to the right," said Matte. "When I looked up again I just heard a gasp and I saw his feet go over the rail."

The incident happened early in the second quarter of the game between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

A Bomber source said last night the man, who was intoxicated, apparently suffered a broken collarbone. The source said the man was drifting in and out of consciousness.

Paramedics attended to the victim, who lay motionless on the cement in front of section K, while police interviewed witnesses.

"At this time we are gathering the information in respect to the incident and the condition of the fan," said Bombers president and CEO Lyle Bauer. "We hope and pray that all will be well, and we'll provide information as it becomes available."

Stadium staff were seen in the second and third quarters cleaning up a pool of blood. The game played on throughout the incident.

Wheather he was under the influence or not, his death is a profound tragedy.
Condolences to all concerned.

Very sad indeed.....

On a related note, I was very impressed that the the steps leading up to the East End Zone at Ivor Wynne were re-built this year with a noticible increase in the height of the handrails.....they were way too short in height previously and were a tragedy waiting to happen.....being pro-active like this is clearly the way to go as safety is always the first priority.....

Absolutely.

i doubt there will be a lawsuit. This isnt the united states where people can sue because their coffee is too hot (its happened). The classy thing to do would be for the bombers organisation to give the family some sort of package to help them get over the lose. Poor guy, all he wanted to do was see a football game and now hes gone. Sad day to be a fan ladies and gents. Ill be careful at Ivor Wynne next time.

I hate the fact that a person can get drunk and do something stupid and then someone else gets blammed.

Yes, as a server you have a responsibility not to over serve, but some people can act pretty darn sober while ordering a drink.

As a drinker you have the responsibility of knowing your limit.

If indeed he was drunk and he fell. It was simply an accident. Horrible and unfortunate... but nobodies fault but his own.

With the media and lawsuits, etc, etc... that we have these days pretty soon everything in the world will have to be covered in bubble wrap to protect idiots from themselves.

Heres a question for you though if he was intoxicated. Would you feel bad for him if he went home drunk after the game got in a car accident and killed another family? If you are drinking you have to drink responsibly and if u dont I think you are accepting any injuries that may happen. At least with what happened he is the only one suffering from his irrespoinsible actions and he did not kill another inncoent family on his drive home

It's nice to see someone thinking the same way I am.

Not saying that someone dying at a game is a good thing. It's not. I do have a heart... somewhere.

I just think that as an adult you have a responsibility to drink responsibly.

Thats terrible I am sorry for the family and the fans an unfortunate accident.

Please keep in mind that it has never been stated if this guy was drunk or not.. All we know is he is a 52 year old man who fell down the stairs and ended up over the railing..

All police have said is they are looking into the situation to see if alcohol played a factor... Some fans have said he was drunk others said he was not....

Wait until it officially comes out before making a judgement on this poor soul.

You know, I was actually wondering about this as well. In some sporting venues that I have been to, I'm not sure if enough is done to prevent things like these from happening. Accidents can happen, and it certainly is tragic when it does happen, as we unfortunately found out. Perhaps we'll see more done to prevent this, similar to what the NHL did when a fan was killed after getting hit by a puck.

My condolences go out to all those who had known this individiual.

Ya just knew that was coming. Personal responsiblity is a foreign concept to some people. It’s always the other guy’s fault.

Regardless, it’s a very sad incident.

Sad incident, my heartfelt condolenses to the fan's family and friends.

Brox