Bomber Coach's thoughts on Tee Martin

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/01/29/1417022-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 2-sun.html[/url]

Doug Berry's personal life is a gong show right now, but the former U.S. Army sergeant has his career firmly under control.

The new Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach will introduce his assistants tomorrow, he'll continue evaluating his current talent, and he'll finish having long, meaningful chats with his players.

Now if he could just find a darn place to live.

FRANTICALLY LOOKING

"I am going frantic looking for a house," Berry said yesterday morning during a media session in the Bomber locker-room. "It started Thursday afternoon, all day yesterday, again this afternoon and again tomorrow.

"I've got two or three that I'm considering; about 20 that I'm not."

Berry needed just five hours to sell his home in Amherst, Mass., and now he and his wife, Carol, are searching for new digs in Winnipeg.

The 57-year-old Berry, who is a head coach for the first time in his life at any level, spent yesterday addressing some of the Bomber issues he will have to fix if he plans on living in his new home -- wherever that might be -- for an extended period of time.

The biggest need for improvement is the defence, which surrendered the most passing and total yards in CFL history last season.

Berry, however, believes it's not too big of a problem. He says there are good players in place and figures last year's woes were essentially the result of a snowball effect.

"I'm hoping that's what happened here," he said. "So when I tell you I think there's a lot of good players on defence, I'm really truthful in saying that. What is necessary is an attitude adjustment. I really believe in attitude."

And a good quarterback. Berry said a great attitude and a good passer are essential to winning at any level of football. He has gone on record saying that current Bomber starter Kevin Glenn can be that pivot, and he reiterated that yesterday.

Berry added that backup Russ Michna can also run the offence he hopes to incorporate and that fourth-stringer Spergon Wynn, despite not seeing him on film, will be able to come in and compete as well.

Berry, however, wasn't as glowing about third-stringer Tee Martin, who struggled badly in four appearances early last season.

"I'm not trying to be critical when I say this, but I didn't see Tee Martin running the style of offence that Winnipeg was trying to run at the end of the year," he said. "When Tee was in there, it was more a two-back offence, and I'm not sure what he's capable of in terms of when we spread the field with wide receivers."

Everybody else? Well, they better make sure their helmets are screwed on tightly when training camp opens in May.

"There are some positions on this team that are going to be challenged," said Berry. "Nobody, nobody -- I'm going to repeat that -- nobody has a starting job."

He's hoping that will result in the Bombers getting back to the playoffs for the first time since 2003 -- and perhaps the Grey Cup at Canad Inns Stadium.

"That's why I came here. I want a challenge," he said. "I can remember meeting my wife. She was engaged to somebody else. ... I like the challenge."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/01/29/berry_doug250.jpg

Tee Martin does have a rocket for an arm, his thought process on field is the big question mark..
Can't see him beating out Glenn, Wynn or Michna, time to look at other hopefull Qb's..
Sorry Tee, the arm pit of the world might be interested in you, somebody has to back up Crandell..

Bombers should trade TM for somebody else.

...Argos are talking with the Bombers.....about a qb. deal....could it be that Tee....is going to TEE.O.....maybe there is a trade in the works... :roll:

Trade??? Not likely…What would you give up for him? Chances are he’ll be released and be free to sign on anywhere.

Based on last years performance, I might trade 6 footballs and Kicking tee for him…And thats being generous!

Do the Argos have a lower player that the Bombers could use to fill a void in our team somewhere?

I know TO could use a thrid import QB after Allen retries.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2006/01/29/berry_doug250.jpg

God, I HATE that blue W! the white W has always been the Peg's logo. If the team ever chages to the Manitoba BB like I suggested (not happing but...), then they should adoupt a Blue M logo, but keep the White W!

.......Martin is at best a third stringer at this point KK, what would you get that is LOWER than that?.......and if it is to fill a void, then you have some pretty problematic voids there bud........

i hope its for wynn…i think he can take allens place after allen retires.

I hope the Bombers keep Wynn, with all the buzz on Wynn as of late..
But on the other hand, we could make a deal with the Riders.
.I'm sure there more than desperate right now.
Tamon that crafty wizard, just might pull one over on Shivers

Keep Wynn, Glenn is a great back up, Michna is a developing QB, trade or get rid of Martin for a Canadian QB for Manitoba (if you cane find one).

Is this QB for the for the Manitoba Blue Bombers by chance......has a nice ring to it, sounds so provincial...

...could be Argos are only interested in Wynn.....we should get a first round draft pick for him at least.....or maybe a defensive player...Bombers are quite interested in... but.who knows....talks are talks....and you know what they say about talk... :shock:

I was thinking about the Bison, glad you like the MBB!

but depending on how you view it, it's not gonna happen, Manitoba has enough teams called Manitoba as it is (Rugby and CIS). But I can still dream.

I'll never like the Blue W though, if your going to radically chage the logo, chage the team name as well. the White W has always been the BB symbol.

I like that hat berry has i cant find it anywhere i went to the locker room sale and they didnt have it

you can get one online at the BB store on the site or on the CFL.ca shop.

I like Berry, he has spunk. Plus, his evaluation of the QB's is right on. Martin is toast and rightfully so. As for the other three, it's good to see the starting job is wide open as it should be with a last place team. You would think how Glenn may have the inside track based on playing time and some limited success last year. For my money, I like Wynn and it sounds like the Coach will give all three a shot to earn the job.

Yes I like Berry already too, he is obviously not blind, unlike Daley, and could see like the rest of us that Martin looked like crap in his starts.

Berry will be a BB legend real quick, you just watch!

BOMBERS 11 AND 7 IN 06!!!

Legend??? On Offense or defense or Special teams? :roll:

Seriously Kanga...if we could bottle up your optimism and enthusiasm......