Bomber Cheerleader Threads

half your clothes on?

I'd hit that oxymoron half AND nude.

i dunno.. that nude one looked a bit used if you ask me.

Exactly! you have half of you cloths on.....of half of them off.
An oxymoron is 2 words that contradict each other. In this case they don't

She moved here from Saskatchewan :smiley:

There is no half nude. Therefore it’s a contradiction. Half clothed or fully clothed, but not half nude.

nude and clothed are opposites, are they not? so one half of one would be the opposite half of the other, right?

Well played. Triple word score.

Half has to contradict nude for it to be an oxymoron, as in jumbo shrimp, alone together
Microsoft Works

How can you be half dressed or but not half nude

This has already been explained. Nude, in the context of not wearing clothing, has only one meaning; wearing no clothes or naked. One can be half dressed because “dressed” can be variable, as in “people at the party were in various stages of dress.”

Fine!
But in order for it to be an oxymoron the first word has to contradict the second. Half is not a contradiction of nude

It contradicts it, ro. NUDE means NO CLOTHES...half would mean there are clothes there. It is an oxymoron.

half means consisting of one of two equivalent parts in value
Nude means with out clothes
Half does not contradict the other

Jumbo means large
Shrimp means small
That is an oxymoron

Well if its on the net it must be true

Unreal...:roll:

that fact that you cant admit you are wrong?
Yes it is unreal

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/w45.html]http://dictionary.reference.com/help/fa ... e/w45.html[/url]
What is the word for a contradiction in terms?

A phrase that is a contradiction in terms is an oxymoron. Examples of oxymorons are: bittersweet, boneless ribs, deafening silence, half naked, holy war, and jumbo shrimp. The most common form is adjective+noun. The word oxymoron comes from Greek oxymoros, ‘pointedly foolish,’ oxy-, ‘sharp’ + moros, ‘dull, stupid, foolish’. By the way, the plurals of oxymoron are oxymora or oxymorons. An oxymoron is just one of many, many rhetorical devices in English.

Does half contradict nude?
yes or no?

Yes, it does. As was already explained (which you are completely missing), "nude" means having no clothes...half would mean there are some there...therefore, half contradicts the meaning of nude.

What do you want? I've cited three sources, and have multitudes of grammar books here, which I, for obvious reasons, cannot show here, and spent several years learning the nuances of the language. Tell me exactly what you want as far as proof goes, because I'm positive it's already been shown to you.