BOLDEN TO SIGN IN WINNIPEG!

http://winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4033633p-4644046c.html

Juran Bolden, one of the most dominant defensive backs the CFL has seen in recent memory, could be back on the field at Canad Inns Stadium as early as Thursday morning.

Rick Roberts, Bolden’s agent, told the Free Press that Bolden was en route to Winnipeg Wednesday evening and could be suited up for practice as early as Thursday morning.

Bolden still has to sign on the dotted line but Roberts said this afternoon that a deal is as good as done that would see the defensive stalwart back in a Bombers uniform.

“We’re going to have a deal done today and Juran is going to play in Winnipeg,? Roberts said Wednesday afternoon by phone from the Louisiana-based offices of Pro Source Sports, the firm that represents Bolden.

“Me and Brendan Taman have a mutual agreement and it will get done.?

The Bombers were being tight-lipped about any deal for Bolden today. “Working on it,? was Taman’s short e-mail response to questions on the subject.

Head coach Doug Berry went a little further, but not much.

“We’re still talking to him. It’s getting closer than it is further, so I’m encouraged by that.?

They should be encouraged. Roberts said he entertained offers from seven of the eight CFL teams for Bolden’s services, but in the end the 33-year-old wanted to return to the same team that he played for during the 1995, 2000 and 2001 seasons.

“He could’ve gone to any CFL team he wanted to and the contract would have been about the same. But he wanted to play in Winnipeg,? Roberts said.

“It was personal...They looked after him before and he expects they’ll look after him again.?

In addition to three seasons in the CFL, Bolden also has extensive NFL experience. He’s played for Atlanta, Green Bay, Carolina, Jacksonville and, most recently, Tampa Bay.

Bolden played in all 16 games last year and finished seventh in tackles, along with a sack and an interception.

He was released by Tampa this spring and has been looking for work since. As a nine-year veteran, Bolden would have earned a minimum of $775,000 if he’d caught on with an NFL team this season.
Roberts said Bolden’s deal calls for him to play the balance of this season with Winnipeg, with an option for next year. Prorated, the deal is believed to be worth about $150,000 a season.

While he hasn’t played much lately, Roberts said his client has been working out with a top personal trainer in Orlando and is more game ready then some of the other players his agency has placed with NFL teams this year.

“Juran’s in better shape than all of them,? said Roberts. “He’s ready to go...He could play this Sunday.?

With the Bombers not doing much talking Wednesday, it’s difficult to know how quickly the team will insert Bolden into their lineup or if he’ll see action in this Sunday’s rematch with Saskatchewan.

It’s also unclear how Taman will make room for Bolden’s contract under the salary cap, but he does have a few options. On Wednesday, the Bombers announced they traded offensive lineman Aaron Fiacconi to Edmonton -- for what’s believed to be a third round draft pick next year.

And the Bombers also have a handful of players on their practice roster who could now be vulnerable.

Bombers kicker Troy Westwood, who played with Bolden in his three years in Winnipeg, said the defensive back would be a huge addition to the Bombers defense.

“He may well be the most talented defensive player I’ve seen in the years I’ve been here,? said Westwood, a 16-year CFL veteran.

“Athletically as a defensive back, he’s essentially perfect. And he’s a good guy in the locker room too.?

Best news I've heard all day!

8)

Very good news, for the Bombers that is.

Bad news for opposing offenses.....granted he hasn't lost his touch.

YAwn I see he is not good enough to hold a position down there. So I would suspect he has slowed some what.

Ike Charleton just upped too. What a day !!!

BOLDEN, CHARLTON RE-JOIN BIG BLUE

WBB RELEASE – 2007/187

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Sept. 5, 2007

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have fortified their defensive dozen with the addition of a pair of key free agents in defensive back Juran Bolden and linebacker Ike Charlton.

Bolden and Charlton agreed to terms with the football club earlier today.

“When you have a chance to add two experienced defenders like Juran Bolden and Ike Charlton it’s basically a no-brainer,? said Bombers G.M. Brendan Taman. “Both players are familiar with this league and Winnipeg and we expect they will make a major contribution to our defensive unit.?

Bolden (6-3, 210, Mississippi Delta JC, DOB: June 27, 1974 in Washington, DC) is no stranger to Bomber fans. He was a key member of the Big Blue’s defensive secondary during the 2000 and 2001 CFL seasons.

Bolden made his CFL debut on July 5, 2000 versus the Montreal Alouettes and went on to play 14 regular season games and both of the Bombers’ playoff contests that season. His regular season numbers included 40 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, one tackle for a loss and four pass knockdowns, which tied for third on the team. The ball-hawking defender also tied for the team lead in interceptions with four that season.

In 2001, Bolden played in all 18 of the Bombers’ regular season games as well as the Eastern Final and Grey Cup. He led the team in interceptions again that season with six for 142 yards one TD and was also the leading defender in pass knockdowns with 10. Bolden also registered one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, three tackles for losses and was third on the team in total tackles with 61.

Bolden has spent the past five seasons with three different NFL teams. He signed with the Atlanta Falcons as a free agent following his stint with the Blue and Gold and played in 22 games for Atlanta during the 2002 and ’03 seasons. He recorded seven interceptions for 86 yards and one TD and added 56 tackles during those two seasons.

In 2004 he joined the Jacksonville Jaguars and played in 13 games, recording 23 tackles. Bolden then joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a free agent and appeared in all 16 regular season contests for the Bucs in 2005 and ’06. In ’05 he recorded 42 tackles and added two interceptions for 46 yards. In ’06 he added 63 tackles and one pick for 27 yards. Bolden also spent time with the Carolina Panthers and Green Bay Packers in 1998 and the Kansas City Chiefs in 1999 following three seasons with Atlanta (1996-98).

Charlton (6-0, 202, Virginia Tech, DOB: Oct. 6, 1977 in Orlando, FLA.) is another familiar face to fans of the Blue and Gold. He originally joined the team as a free agent late in 2005 and appeared in two games that season. He recorded two defensive tackles in his CFL debut on Oct. 22, 2005 @ the B.C. Lions. He followed that up with a five tackle performance in the season finale against the Calgary Stampeders.

Charlton was a key contributor to a rock-solid Blue Bombers defence in 2006, appearing in 15 regular season games. He contributed 60 defensive tackles, which ranked second on the team, one quarterback sack, two special teams tackles and 63 hits during the ’06 regular season. He was second on the team in tackles for losses with six for 31 yards. He also scored a TD on a fumble recovery following a blocked field goal attempt. In the Bombers’ Semifinal loss to the Argos, registering two defensive tackles and one pass knockdown.

Good piggy, not only do you have turtle man but now you will have snail man as well.

Yeah but from what I remember Bolden can actually catch the ball....unlike some of our current DB's.

Sticks and stones, enjoy your defence 05. :lol:

damn. this is bad news.

Well, this explains why you guys gave us Fiacconi... And it makes me ask why we gave up a draft pick for him... And why we didn't go after any of these guys...

Whatever... :roll:

I'm kinda surprised that they didn't do some sort of package Chief, with Fiacconi and a few dbs given your current state of injuries.

Super day! Finally we get some help for our defence. The last part of the schedule should be interesting.

...now now my son.....you know we just got a whole lot better on the d'..... improvement in the positions Bolden and Charlton play is definitely at hand ....opposition receivers ...whom in the past have had little or no respect for our former secondary ,,,welllll let's just say ...better keep their heads up......heh heh.... :thup: :rockin:

Just heard about Bolden and Charlton! Wow is about all I can say :rockin:

Our D instantly got ALOT better.

Sticks and stones, enjoy your defence 05. :lol:[/quotePiggy you know dam well you are ruining my fun!

By the way dad is he going to get rid of his walker that he has aquired. :lol:

you mean the one that Brian Clarke is currently using.....yeah he dumped it awhile back when they found out he's 110% physically....guess Brian is thinking right now....geez i left the Peg for this...... :lol: