Bob O'Billovich Retires

So you guys think he's gone ?

My guess is that he is mulling over retiring, but he could be helping Austin transition into the GM's job first.
What happens to all of Obies people like McManus and other scouts.
With Womack gone I am sure there is alot of scouting Information that has to be passed over to Austin for a smooth transition.

That makes sense. Hard to say with any certainty though. Hence this thread.

I hope Danny Mac is retained.

Just in case you didn't know, here are some of Bob O'Billovich sports accomplishments.

CFL- Obie has been involved with the CFL since 1963 in the roles of player, coach, general manager, scout, and several front-office positions. That is now over 50 years in the CFL.
As a player he played both the QB and DB for the Ottawa Rough Riders

NCAA- Obie was a star Basketball athlete in Montana- was voted the Athlete of the Decade for 1960-1970 at the University of Montana, and was inducted into the University of Montana Grizzly Athletic Hall of Fame in 1993.

Was also the head coach of the Ottawa Gee Gees and Carlton Ravens Basketball teams

Obie should be a shoe in for the HOF

That's fair enough.

You chose to list Obies defiecencies yet not his attributes.
As is my right when stating my [i]opinion[/i]. I do think he made some good moves, such as trading for Burris and hiring Cortez. But at the end of the day, you're judged on your entire body of work, and now that the Obie era is over in Hamilton, you have to admit that the body of work isn't particularly stellar. Not horrific, as I said before, but not stellar either.
You state that the "MAJORITY" of Cats fans were not satisfied with Obies work. Did you run a poll or something to be able to state this or as an ALs fan you just know all these things about Cats fans.
Read it again. I said "I [i]think[/i] the majority..." i.e. an opinion. I based my opinion only on what I've been reading from Cats fans on this very forum. I don't need to do statistical analysis to present an opinion.
I could be wrong but I would hazard to guess that Obies Football IQ is maybe just slightly higher than yours.
Ah, the classic content-free response from someone in an indefensible position. The point of a forum is debate. Not everyone is going to agree. The next time you disagree with a decision that your team makes, perhaps I'll pop up and tell you that the GM's football IQ is "maybe just slightly higher than yours." :roll:
Do you people realize that one of the reasons Obie wanted a job in Hamilton was to be closer to his grandchildren. Does anyone think that maybe these Grandchildren are Cat fans and may actually read some of these posts. It is not acceptable to be disrespectful, especially to a guy that has lived, breathed and bled Ti-Cats football. You say you don't get how as a Ti-Cats supporter we can defend Obie. I have a great respect for Obie, just as I have for Popp and Buono. Now that he has stepped down I think it is important to list his acclomplishments in his career and not his failures.
I don't, frankly, give a damn whether Obie reads this forum, or whether his grandchildren are in Hamilton or outer Mongolia. For me, respect for the people HERE -- the posters on this forum -- is more important than some weird reluctance to offer [i]fair[/i] criticism (not personal attacks, not insults, just fair criticism) of his accomplishments in Hamilton.

No Grey Cup.
No Grey Cup game.
Missed the playoffs last year.
Rebuilds seemingly every year, no clear direction for the franchise.

In sum, not a great tenure for Obie as GM. He wasn't the worst, certainly, but nothing in Hamilton's record over the past five years indicates success either.

"Read it again. I said "I think the majority..." i.e. an opinion. I based my opinion only on what I've been reading from Cats fans on this very forum. I don't need to do statistical analysis to present an opinion."

Basing your conclusion on the writings of a FEW opinions, is hardly a majority. So your assumption is faulty to begin with. Your opinions are only yours, as you can’t speak for anyone else, since you have no contact with the MAJORITY of them. And yes, this is a classic content-free response for an indefensible position.

And how is your team lately…

Can’t win an eastern final at home
Bad defense
No special team for years
No coaching staff
Soon no quarterback
And, as one of your own pointed out, "a GM who works from his kitchen".

Since the Tiger cats have moved on with the position, perhaps your insistence on beating your fingers about it could come to an end.

Oops, lost my head. I forgot who I was writing to.

"Weird Wettenhaul didn't go asking for money when he pulled 5 million out of his wallet to expand a stadium he doesn't own."

Oh really?????

From TSN

[b]"Former Montreal Alouettes president Larry Smith denies that the CFL team falsely promoted sold-out games in order to ensure government funding that helped expand Percival Molson Stadium to 25,000 seats for the beginning of the 2010 season.

A report Wednesday in La Presse, based on two unnamed Alouette sources, challenged the team's claim of 105 consecutive sellouts which ended last week when the team opened its 2011 season with nearly 2,700 empty seats."[/b]

Reads to me like he was feeding at the government trough.

I don't follow?

Ainsi, pour ce projet nécessitant un investissement total de 29 355 000$, le gouvernement du Québec a confirmé son implication de 19 331 065$ qui s’ajoute à la contribution de la Ville de Montréal de 4 000 000$ et au montant complémentaire de 6 023 935$ assumé par le propriétaire des Alouettes Bob Wetenhall
Total was 29.3 million. Province kicked in 19.3, City kicked in 4 million and Bob kicked in [b]SIX MILLION DOLLARS IN CASH[/b].

D&P you picked apart my post and responded to all items except the last part.
Is this the classic non-response to the whole purpose or summary of someones post. :roll:

It is not acceptable to be disrespectful, especially to a guy that has lived, breathed and bled Ti-Cats football. You say you don't get how as a Ti-Cats supporter we can defend Obie. I have a great respect for Obie, just as I have for Popp and Buono. Now that he has stepped down I think it is important to list his accomplishments in his career and not his failures.

Wikipedia gives the following information for the cost of the renovations to Molson Stadium:

"The cost of the renovations were shared by the Quebec government ($19.3 million), the city of Montreal ($4 million), and Robert Wetenhall, the Alouettes' owner ($6,023,935)"

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Molson_Memorial_Stadium]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_M ... al_Stadium[/url]

Three sources are cited for this information. It is also confirmed by a piece in the McGill Daily.

[url=http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2010/01/molson_stadium_expansion_goes_forward/]http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2010/01/mols ... s_forward/[/url]

If this is correct, then yes Mr. Wettenhall contributed, but so did the city and the province.

If you read your own statement carefully, your contention is "Weird Wettenhaul didn't go asking for money", when he actually did. The amount is not the point, it is that he did, and in a somewhat sleazy manner.

And what's with the "weird" label. If he did as much for this team as everyone says he has, you come off sounding ungrateful.

Wow, some of you Als bunch don't deserve the success you've had.

I understand what you are saying. But you have to keep in mind the context of the entire discussion thread, which evolved over 700 pages last time I remember. Of memory the point was that Bob Young or private investors were not injecting cash in the stadium project.

While BobO did not enjoy any championships in Hamilton. I think he worked very hard at getting there and is leaving a team with tons of talent for Austin to look good, very similar situation to that he enjoyed with Shivers Riders. :thup:

Thanks for posting HfxTC
I agree that the team has a ton of talent that Obie is leaving for Austin.
Austin already has his Coordinators hired and the signing of James Patrick shows he is making moves defensively
Also getting Hage, Dyakowski and Stala signed on Offense are great.

Montreal had better get a Head Coach soon so he could get his Coordinators in line, I would think that both you and D&P must be getting worried about the lack of time left and no onfield management( 12 weeks until training camp)

[b]"I understand what you are saying. But you have to keep in mind the context of the entire discussion thread, which evolved over 700 pages last time I remember. Of memory the point was that Bob Young or private investors were not injecting cash in the stadium project.

While BobO did not enjoy any championships in Hamilton. I think he worked very hard at getting there and is leaving a team with tons of talent for Austin to look good, very similar situation to that he enjoyed with Shivers Riders. "[/b]

And I've been critical of the fact that taxpayers are footing the bill exclusively for this stadium. However, Bob over the years has put money in other areas such as a video board, which was no small amount of money. And as I've pointed out before, that if either of these owners want to alter their stadiums to benefit themselves, they should put up the cash themselves, and not the citizens, most of whom will never visit either place.

Bob O'Billovich did his job, plain and simple. This situation is no different than any other team in any league. Some have suggested that Brian Burke was the beneficiary of the previous GM in Anaheim when he won the Stanley cup there. Yes, Austin is inheriting a lot of talent coming in, but there is still more work to do on the defense (DL's and DB's). And I would suggest the OL could do with either a great line coach or some tinkering. So Kent will need to roll up his sleeves. And it looks like that's already started.

If Kent Austin should succeed greatly over the next few years, that would serve as further testimony to the hard work and talent of Bob O'Billovich and his people. And Kent Austin's ability to take that talent to the next level. It's a win win for all.

It should not diminish either person.

We are skrewed in Montreal for this year. Trestman leaving after firing and hiring Reinebold/Thorpe and leaving with the coaching staff at the end of January is terrible for the team and I suspect we will feel the casualties at Free agency as well (Perrett and Whitaker). The blood letting is not over. Marcel Desjardins will be announced as the new GM in Ottawa on Wednesday.

Yeah, exactly. I think Obie left the team in better shape than when he took over, no question, even though he failed to bring a Cup or even a Cup appearance to Hamilton. But in Montreal, we're in shambles right now, thanks to Trestman and Popp letting their NFL aspirations take precedence over their jobs in the Als organization. Pretty brutal situation for Als fans so it's not like we're trying to make our org look like a paragon of efficiency right now... :frowning:

I would like to say I feel for you but, No. :slight_smile:
With the equivalent of 18 road games(Hopefully 20 or 21)
We need all the help we can get, and a vulnerable Als could help!

Yeah, didn't think I'd get much sympathy in the Cats forum. :smiley:

Anyhow, I think that if the D can get straightened out, the Cats are a playoff team at bare minimum, and more than that if they stay healthy.

Unless Winnipeg finds themselves a quarterback. Toronto could walk right through the division.