Bob O'Billovich Retires

I had no problem with the opening post by HfxTC. He was asking a question. What's wrong with that? I'd like to know the answer too.

A few other posters later in the thread took the opportunity to make unkind comments about Obie. These are Ticat fans as far as I know. That's too bad. It's easy to scorn a guy online, especially one who is no longer with the team. HfxTC didn't do that.

He is entitled to post here if he wants to. There are lots of other fans of other teams who do that. Sometimes I find their comments snarky, sometimes not at all. HfxTC is an Alouettes fan, that's fine. His team has been well run and performed well for a number of years. He has a lot to be happy about, we should be so lucky in Hamilton. I find his posts here to be fair and interesting. Maybe others don't find it that way.

I've read and posted on other teams' forums occasionally, and I have seen other Ticat fans do that too. There's a button at the bottom of the page to enable you to jump easily to their forums. It's allowed and encouraged, it's all part of the CFL family.

As for Obie, I'd like to know what he is up to too. I wonder if he will do a consulting gig for the Ticats, or for another team, or will retire. He did a lot of good for the Ticats. I think he deserves thanks for that (from the fans and from the team), and good wishes for whatever he does next.

What inaccuracies are you writing about ? Your the one constantly posting those and innuendos. I've asked a simple question. Six weeks he hasn't been heard of or seen and he's no longer on the team's website.

I'm a Cats fan and I too share the some questions that HfxTC and stevehvh have about Bob O'Billovich. Bob did do a lot positive things for this club and to simply expunge his name and photo from the front office listing without any official word seems very odd....but then again this is the Tiger-Cats after all...they are surely not averse to doing things in a very odd and unusual way.

My agenda was never to slag the Cats. I criticized Obie when I thought he had made a mistake, just like I would do for any other GM. Seriously, a few of you are STILL defending him after he's gone MIA from the web site for weeks and his five-year run in Hamilton has failed to even produce a Grey Cup appearance, let alone a Grey Cup? Are you on his payroll?

I think the majority of Cats fans understand that Obie, in retrospect, was not the savvy GM the fanbase was hoping for when he first came on board. Was he horrible? No, compared to what came before -- the dark years of 1-17, etc. -- he was not horrible. But he wasn't great either. The endless personnel / coaching carousels, the inability to shore up the defense, the bad trades, and most of all, the lack of success in the 'W' column. I don't get how you can defend that, or why you'd try to take off Hfx's head for asking a simple question about Obie's status in the Hamilton organization.

D&P

I felt the tone of this was becoming disrespectful and I stated that.(not just by HFxTC)
I also stated that the Cocoon clip was adding to the disrespect and stated it was not appreciated.(That was HFxTC)
You chose to list Obies defiecencies yet not his attributes.
You state that the "MAJORITY" of Cats fans were not satisfied with Obies work.
Did you run a poll or something to be able to state this or as an ALs fan you just know all these things about Cats fans.
I could be wrong but I would hazard to guess that Obies Football IQ is maybe just slightly higher than yours.
Do you people realize that one of the reasons Obie wanted a job in Hamilton was to be closer to his grandchildren.
Does anyone think that maybe these Grandchildren are Cat fans and may actually read some of these posts.
It is not acceptable to be disrespectful, especially to a guy that has lived, breathed and bled Ti-Cats football.
You say you don't get how as a Ti-Cats supporter we can defend Obie.
I have a great respect for Obie, just as I have for Popp and Buono.
Now that he has stepped down I think it is important to list his acclomplishments in his career and not his failures.

Well said. Give Obie his due, he earned it.

I just did not want this thread to take the direction it was going in.
IMHO this thread was bordering on being disrespectful to a man that alot of us Ti-Cat fans have alot of respect for.
I know that was not your intention at all for you to be disrespectful to Obie, you were simply asking a valid question.
I really am not trying to start an us against them.( we can save that for the start of the season)
I have no problem with you and D&P posting here, actually I would encourage it.
BUT, when you visit another site It would be appreciated if you respect the fact that we are Ti-Cat people and probably do not like our teams, players or managements faults related to us by fans from another team.
What if I went onto the ALs forum and said what an idiot Popp was for hiring Reinbold to run your pathetic defense, a defense that the players supplied were signed by Popp.
Popp's ineptitude got your team knocked out of the playoffs at home 2 years in a row.
The Majority of Als fans are not happy with Popp.
I think there would be some Als Fans that would take issue with that.

Well, it wouldn't be me. (You can go check LOL!). However Reinebold was hired by Trestman, just want to clear that up.
Am I critical some times sure but probably more so then what goes on in the Als than I would here.

I just can't remember a GM or a coach leaving after FIVE years and not saying his goodbye or at least being interviewed by a reporter. This is just weird to me. Sure people go on vacation and mull things over but six weeks !

Thanks for responding.
I will stand down and wait anxiously for the season to start.
Both teams will have some new faces.

Oh c'mon
These two Montreal posters ( and I am a Montreal guy) say where is Bob? and then denigrate him no end while saying they ask a legit question. Then plead who me? They are silly and do NOT represent us. They are not fans of the CFL.

The only team in total disarray this offseason is our Montreal team. A 40 year old QB, a back-up they have pissed on , and no coach and no coordinators. An american GM working from his kitchen in the states and a hidden ammeican owner. We should be ashamed.

they need to shut the front door.

Ignore them. and good luck.

compare where you are at now with us in Montreal.

Both D&P and HFxTC are regular posters here.
More than most of the time they stay onside with their input.
Everynow and then they jump Offside with their input and usually someone is there to step on their toes and push them back on side.
I could care less about the State of the Als franchise.

You asked a question that was answered in the 3rd & 4th post & which info was readily available since the answer you were looking for was contained in a ticats.ca article.

It's not "posting innuendo" to call you out as the troll that you are. Want proof of that?

Comparing Young to the Gliebermans & Schwartz is a huge insult. Whatever the team's record, Young has paid the bills, unlike both of them.

The best part is that I remember you from the old board, HfxTC (HalifaxTigerCat). A guy who used to be a Ticat fan who switched allegiance because Mtl is a winning team. :roll:

I suspect that once Mtl starts losing, you won't be able to take it as well as you dished it out on this forum.

I enjoy both D&P and HfxTC's contribution to our board. Their posts are always well thought out and presented, unlike your post which I have quoted.

I would disagree with your statement they are not CFL fans and in fact find the notion ridiculous. Strike 1.

I also did not see any posts where either was denigrating Obie to no end. Did I miss a few posts or again have you misrespreted the facts. Strike 2.

Then you state that they should "shut the front door". Is this a polite way of telling them to shut the funk up? Then you implore us to ignore them. That's just poor form. Strike 3.

You do know there is a friend or foe option in your control settings right? I suggest you use it if you don't want to read what they post.

Why anyone would use a friend or foe setting on a discussion board totally baffles me on a board where people are there to discuss whatever it is that is being discussed. The true trolls will leave anyways. Hey, that's just what I think. :?

I fully expect people to tell me I'm out to lunch, I'm a f....k up or whatever. What they can't do is tell me I'm not a Cat fan, season ticket holder on an average salary and watch all CFL games, as many as I can. The rest, well, whatever... If someone never wants to see my face whenever, okey dokey, I couldn't care less. I watch the Cats and follow the Cats. The rest is totally irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

But sure, use the settings if you can't stand reading someone's posts. I'll never use such a setting that's for sure.

I agree Earl. I have never used it myself and think its dumb to put someone on an ignore list because you don’t agree with or are offended by what they say. But to each their own.

I don’t agree with everything they post, and Cartman certainly provided some excellent examples of that in his most recent post, but I personally enjoy reading opinions that are different then my own. I agree that HfxTC does go offside at times. It usually makes for some good reading in the responses he gets for it.

but I personally enjoy reading opinions that are different then my own.

Bingo alexander, you and me are on the same wavelength for sure. :thup:

Wrong guy. Never used that handle. The TC in my handle is for my initials. LMAO ! Thanks for proving my point.

Bull. I'm not the only long time poster who remembers you. It's ok, I didn't expect you to own up to it anyway, you're not that kind of person. Nice try.

Btw, way to ignore the rest of the post.

Stevehvh wrote:

[b]I had no problem with the opening post by HfxTC. He was asking a question. What's wrong with that? I'd like to know the answer too.

A few other posters later in the thread took the opportunity to make unkind comments about Obie. These are Ticat fans as far as I know. That's too bad. It's easy to scorn a guy online, especially one who is no longer with the team. HfxTC didn't do that.

He is entitled to post here if he wants to. There are lots of other fans of other teams who do that. Sometimes I find their comments snarky, sometimes not at all. HfxTC is an Alouettes fan, that's fine. His team has been well run and performed well for a number of years. He has a lot to be happy about, we should be so lucky in Hamilton. I find his posts here to be fair and interesting. Maybe others don't find it that way.

I've read and posted on other teams' forums occasionally, and I have seen other Ticat fans do that too. There's a button at the bottom of the page to enable you to jump easily to their forums. It's allowed and encouraged, it's all part of the CFL family.

As for Obie, I'd like to know what he is up to too. I wonder if he will do a consulting gig for the Ticats, or for another team, or will retire. He did a lot of good for the Ticats. I think he deserves thanks for that (from the fans and from the team), and good wishes for whatever he does next.
[/b]

Steve, he and his Als followers have scorned Obie with tags like “old?, “past his prime? and “another Miller, among others. As I’ve said before, if you disagree with his efforts, that’s fine, but to insult someone is not acceptable.

I’m not saying or even inferring that anyone is not entitled to post. It’s not my forum. I have decided over the years not to go on theirs, my choice. And I certainly would not post a disparaging comment about anyone on their team’s site, as they have many times here.

They cut themselves and their team a lot of breaks when misfortune hits the Als. Like the excuse when Hamilton beat them in the eastern semi-final in Montreal. All I got back from them afterward were moans about injuries. Yet, when Hamilton has hit bad times, they’ve taken every opportunity to crucify and put the blame on Bob.

One of them (Discipline and Punish)tried many times to blame Mr. O’Billovich for Avon Cobourne’s disappearance from training camp last season, saying that Bob replaced him. Fact was that Avon CHOSE not to come to training camp. Call that fair?

I pointed out that the Als defense was not good and their special teams haven’t performed well for years. The head coach is gone and took a number of assistants with him. Cavillo is very very close to his expiry date, and who do they have to replace him? So, to be happy about those problems?

Yes, I have praised Bob O’Billovich at times, criticized him at others. But, I would not resort to, misplaced blame, name calling or hurling other garbage as has been the case with some of the Als fans who come here, at times to do that.

When those are your chosen tactics, then it’s hardly a surprise that your sincerity is questioned.

As a fan, I thank Bob O’Billovich for what he brought to the Hamilton Tiger Cats. I wish him and his family best wishes for the future.

Thanks for your clarification, old fan.

I guess we haven't experienced their posts in the same way.

I don't actually mind a bit of ribbing coming from Als fans once in a while. I'm not saying you do. I guess where we differ is in our reception of some of the things said in this thread, or the others you've quoted.

I know I've enjoyed many of HfxTC's posts, Als fan though he may be. I can't remember enough about D&P's contributions to really say. Like you, I think it's important to try to avoid personal insults. I know I don't always succeed.

Anyway, I've been critical of Obie from time to time too, we all have. Heaven knows there are all kinds of Ticat fans who say really nasty things about the Argos and anyone associated with them. Maybe we think it's all good fun and sport and humourous--after all, aren't Ticat fans supposed to hate all things Argonaut, all things Toronto, and say so as often and loudly as possible? Maybe so. But if I was an Argo fan I might take offence at a good deal of what is said and consider it quite mean-spirited. Or maybe I'd just dismiss it as evidence of an inferiority complex. Where the point is that criticism becomes invective, each of us has to decide for our self. I've seen lots on here that to me crossed the line, I know you have too. This one?... I'm not so sure as you are. And that's okay too.

Also like you, I wish Obie all the best, and thank him for his efforts for the Tiger-Cats.