Bo Smith needs to go

This game was the last straw for me. For 3 years we have seen this guy getting burned repeatedly over and over and over. What the hell does Marcel and Obie see in this guy? This guy has helped to erase many of our leads. This swaggerville game was a perfect example. He got torched really bad last game against Argos. The opposing QB's always target him whenever they need a really big play. He never turns around to see where the ball is so even when he's right on the receiver he lets him catch it. Otherwise he gets a big pass interference call. This has been going on forever. Why bother renewing seasons tickets when the defense has such a glaring hole that costs us VICTORIES? So fed up right now I was throwing pillows at my plasma in the fourth quarter.

Bo has actually been one of the better DBs for us this year. The PI call on him I want to see the replay. He didn't put his hands up to block the site of the receiver, never had his hands on him, the pass was short and hit him on the head. He does not have to turn his head as he did not interfere with the receiver to make the catch.

He gets no help from Shivers.

Good defense by Smith. Phantom call. :thdn:

I still think when the QB is rushed and he just throws the ball up for grabs it is anyones ball. Pass interference should not be called as often as it is, and particularly on those types of plays. I mean the ball hit him in the helmut.

How many missed tackles tonight? :expressionless:

Yeah...I agree. Weak call.

I am sorry you are wrong. Face gaurding, or screening is a good PI call. You must at least glance back at the ball you can not put your hands up on a guess because of the receivers actions. You must look back at the ball. Look it up in the rule book, Smith does this constantly he can not play the position he should be gone. I have watched this guy game in and game out he has at least 6 calls that I came remember for the same type of penalty.

Bo Smith wasn’t playing the ball on that play. That is clear as day. He deserved that penalty, He got beat and took a chance, got burned.

But the ball was underthrown. If the receiver stops and Bo runs into him, then yes it's a penalty. He was actually running step for step with him. The receiver was expecting the ball to be thrown longer.

As for the rule book, i don't really know what is a penalty and what is not a penalty. From what I have observed, as long as you don't just throw your arms in the air, that play is perfectly legal. To me, he didn't have his hands on the received, he didn't use his arms to knock the ball down, he was with the receiver and the ball was slightly underthrown (even if it might have been by a mere foot or two) Most of the time, that's not a PI call. Sure, I can see why it could be face guarding but to me it's different if the receiver is making a play on the ball. To me it didn't look like he was. The receiver was not trying to reach around Bo or slow down to catch the ball. They were running and it was a tad bit underthrown.

Clearly there are too many rules in football. I say throw the ball up for grabs, anyone can go for it. Bang around a bit, too bad. That pass we totally under thrown and had no chance of being caught by the peggers. Smith had the best chance.

You guys are only discussing one questionable PI call. What I'm talking about is this guys overall consistency. If any of you have been recording the games on PVR then go back and watch all the times the other team gets a big play. Usually you will find number 14 covering. Opposing QB's are exploiting this relentlessly. Calvillo will throw for 400+ yards in the next two games.

CFL Official Playing Rules 2010
RULE 9 - INTERFERENCE
SECTION 1 – DEFINITION
Interference takes place when a player obstructs, blocks, screens or charges
towards an opponent, with or without direct contact
, in such a manner that prevents
the opponent’s approach to the ball carrier, potential ball carrier or the ball. Blocking
is identified as the act of creating interference with contact.

Not sure about that.

i think you can do it the instant the ball gets there just as you can nail or tackel receiver once the ball gets there.

You just can't do it before the ball gets there.

Looked up the rules. They are either vague or I missed the relevant part.

SECTION 1 – DEFINITION Interference takes place when a player obstructs, blocks, screens or charges towards an opponent, with or without direct contact, in such a manner that prevents the opponent’s approach to the ball carrier, potential ball carrier or the ball. Blocking is identified as the act of creating interference with contact.
[url=http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/PDF_Docs/CFL_Rule_Book_2011.pdf]http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/PD ... k_2011.pdf[/url]

Agreed. I've never seen a DB provide such good coverage and not be able to make a play on the ball. I've been saying this about Bo Smith since day one. Frustrating as heck to watch at times.

No he doesn't.

Smith gets burned because more often than not, he's the guy our coaches want covering the other team's best receiver. If he was a weaker cover guy, he'd get easier assignments and people wouldn't notice him as much. Not to say his reaction to the ball is always perfect, but he mostly does very well at one of the toughest jobs in the defense.

Well then they might as well leave the guy off the field and play one man short because whoever Smiths covering will catch the ball anyway. Even when he is shadowing the receiver and is practically smothering him somehow he still allows the catch to be made. We've seen this a zillion times. What would be the big deal in Smith turning back for a split second to see the ball and possibly even get a pick? With Smith's speed the long bombs should practically be a jump ball with 50-50 chance of coming down with it. Yet how many picks does Smith have. Hell, I'd be happy if he even knocked it down or deflected it. Best thing about Bo Smith is that when he allows the 50 yard completion then he is in a good position to make the tackle.

It's not Bo Smith's fault that his coach puts him in cover zero so frequently, or that Hamilton's blitzes don't reach the quarterback in time.

X2

I wish Less Browne would be brought in as a guest coach to work with the DBs on their ball-tracking technique, but I digress!

Bo's tackling has actually improved since his return, IMO. However, comparing his tackling ability to Jason Shivers is like comparing a paint-by-numbers imitation of a Rembrandt to a ritalin-enhanced child's operation of an Etch-A-Sketch with a knob missing. Bo Smith is not the weakest link in the chain here.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ