BMO Field to be upgraded

Yes I agree Commonwealth was and still will be a big part of Soccer. The problem is that it now has artificial turf. Any National team will want there home base to be on a soccer specific field with he best natural turf that money can buy and that is BMO.
So yes the water does hold

BMO Field looks fairly basic, not that I will ever go to it unless there is a CFL game there or concert with a group I have to see. But I would think that they would have to upgrade that stadium to be relevant, CFL stadiums are better from what I can see. It's supposed to be "Major" League soccer so I'm sure they realize they better do something.

Shouldn’t be that shocking, the team is a joke. They’ve never made the playoffs, aren’t going to this year, and have no real hope in the short term at all. It’s a standard MLSE team, and now that the new factor has worn off attendance is dropping.

On top of which Soccer Canada is not even a primary tenant at BMO, they have to play second fiddle.

Well they are playing right now on TSN and I would doubt there are 3000 fan in attendance. Not sure why they need to upgrade it (unless the Argo;s are going to be allowed to play there) with such paultry attendance.

Exactly where are they going to put the expansion to BMO Field? It is so tightly packed into the exhibition grounds there is nowhere to expand to. The other thing to consider is history. Anyone who would even consider a move to BMO was not a CFL fan prior to the 90's. CNE Stadium was only a matter of metres from the spot where BMO Field now stands and it was nicknamed "The Mistake By The Lake". Has everyone forgotten the '82 Grey Cup? Huge public outcry to find the Argos and Jays a new home.

The Argos need a new stadium, but BMO Field is not only logistically impossible, history already tells us it would be a stupid move.

:thup: :thup:

When all is said and done, and all the shouting about where to put a new football stadium, once it comes down to spending any money, and once all the facts are looked at. The best chance for the Argos to get out of the Dome, will be in a expanded BMO stadium. It just makes since. TFC will just have to suck it up. They can ensure the grass stays in good shape. It's just makes so much more fiscal sense. Either spend 150 million to 200 million and take the heat from tax payers, or invest 40 million in a already standing stadium

Makes the most amount of sense to me.
Wonder if Braley, MLSE and the city feel the same.

The issue here is that the Municipality of Toronto Proper will not be or is interested in putting any money into a stadium for the Argos expanding BMO or otherwise. That does not mean that other municipalities in the GTA to the North and West of Toronto may not be interested and that is exactly what the Argos are looking into right now.
The Municipality of Hamilton was able to get the money together to add on to the soccer venue for the Pan Am games. Who is to say that Markham or Miss would not be interested in putting together a funding plan to bring a stadium and a team to there Municipality. I do not know and at this point no one else does

The City will mandate that any further renovations be paid for by the interested parties as they have done with the north stand addition and the latest renovation to the stadium. The City has been very clear on that.

Now, should the Argos move in? Well that would be up to the Argos and if they pony up the cash to pay for the retrofit of the stands and any losses to MLSE and the City. Currently the stadium makes money for the city. The increased maintenance for the field combined with the TFC fan backlash may be enough to convince the City to look in another direction.

I've come to the conclusion that the more backlash from the TFC fans, the better and the more that upgrading BMO doesn't seem the best solution. Although it would take much longer, the Argos will be better off for this not playing at BMO but rather having their own stadium, partnered with the city or whomever. A true or more true gridiron facility than what BMO could provide.

So TFC fans if you're listening, keep up the "we don't want the Argos in here" message. And I mean this in all honesty. You have a nice soccer specific stadium and you should fight to keep it as that I say.

I agree with you on this one Earl. As a fan of both team I prefer each in their own home for a number of reasons. Mainly, the Argos really need to control their own revenue streams and concession contracts. They will only be able to do so in their own stadium and not one managed by Rogers or MLSE. A 35,000 seat facility at Downsview would be perfect. It would have subway access from two, possibly three stations along with excellent highway access and parking. There would also be room to expand should the need arise (Olympics, Grey Cup, Winter Classic, etc). As we have now seen with recent MLS and CFL stadiums it can be done. It just requires someone to gather the funds and the region/ fans to have a desire for a new stadium in town.

:thup: :thup:

Yes alpha. :thup: And of course a new gridiron specific stadium can still play host to other soccer events, lacrosse, rugby besides gridiron so that would help with the stadium getting increased usage. It could also play host to NFL games if the people looking at that would want that rather than use the RC although Rogers may try and prevent that.

I think 35,000 is to big for Toronto 30,000 would be a much better fit but the biggest thing is some in the GTa for what ever they want think Ontario and the Feds should pay for it a new stadium for the Argos the stadium is going to have to be mostly funded by private money.

True. But then CFL and The Argos may not have a choice should Rogers go ahead with the planned reno and grass installation at RC. The RC would remain the preferred event site due to size, access and location for most large events. However when real grass is installed it puts a limit as to what you can host if you don’t want to incur hefty field repair bills and unplayable surfaces. This is why there has not been a concert at BMO since the grass was put. The aeration/ drainage, heating and playing surface is one of the best in N.A. Placing 8,000 people along with a stage and equipment would severely damage the system.

The New Argos stadium would most likely be one with artificial turf and could fill the void left by BMO and a newly grass equipped RC.

Has it been announced just what type of upgrades that are in the plans for BMO. Are they looking to add more seats? Upgrade some of the current seats? Improved or added suites?

Yes, I've done some reading and understand that the field at BMO is one of the best anywhere for soccer the way it's been designed. Gridiron isn't so specific, heck many NFL teams played for decades at baseball stadiums with infields that were dirt and it worked.

Nice to see Rob Ford advocate for a gridiron facility there in Toronto.

Maybe - but remember the stadium’s viability my well depend on revenues streams over and above the 10 or so dates the Argos use the facility. The RC and BMO, Ricoh, ACC all play host to a number of profitable events every year. The Argos, if they controlled the stadium, would profit. Or say the City owns the stadium (should they choose to built it), they would have a similar arrangement like MLSE has with BMO with profits being split 50/50.