BMO Field to be upgraded

MLSE is looking to have BMO Field upgraded/renovated even though the facility is only 6 years old.

Why not partner with Braley/TSN and upgrade the entire facility including opening the endzones to incorporate both football and soccer, as it is a community owned facility, NOT a private fixture and thus should be used as a cooperative.

[b]“We’re spending a little bit of time on trying to figure out how to upgrade it,? said Tim Leiweke, MLSE’s new president and CEO. “Stadiums have changed, the game’s changed, the league’s changed,? Leiweke said. “And so when we came in (the league), BMO was fantastic. Today ... we have work to do at BMO and the owners agree.?

Leiweke is also dispatching some of the MLS club’s front office to Kansas City for the league’s all-star game July 31 to see the US$200-million-plus Sporting Park, which opened in June 2011.

In comparing BMO Field to the one in Kansas City, “We owe our fans more,? he added. “We need to figure out a way to take it to the next level.?
Leiweke calls himself a fan of BMO Field and its location.

“I think what we need is a renovation and an upgrade.?[/b]

City has all the cars in their hands. Don't give them a permit till they talk to Mr. Braley.

If there is one cent of government money or tax break put into that and they still refuse to play nice with the Argos, there better be a riot.

They are quickly realizing what Mr. Braley already knew. Stadium has terrible facilities. Now if they do it right around 28 to 30k seats for both sports kind of like Winnipeg did. Everyone could come out a winner. Jays get their grass, Argos and TFC get a first class venue and the tax payers aren't footing the whole bill.

I have said this many times here, how BMO is a dump.
A glorified high school like bleacher stadium with way too few proper facilities and the seats are so small that anyone taller than 5'6" cannot sit in any comfort.
The place starts to shake when the fans stand up and leave on mass.

Who cares about the Crap Jays and TFC?
Regarding your other statement, most definitely the taxpayers paid for both the Skydump at an exorbitant and with overruns at $600M while the BMO was around $60M and no up front money by MLSE.
Again sucker us as taxpayers got taken big time.

The thing is with such a big stadium is if attendance drops for Toronto Fc and the Argos then you could end up with a ton of empty seats its betetr to build small and have a long wait for tickets then to have thousands of empty seats.

well, all three levels of government funded the construction of BMO Field, including land contribution, with the Municipality of Toronto retaining full ownership, and yet the Argos were unduly spurned both in 2006 (construction plans) and again in 2009 (re-attempt) thus am not overly confident the City will engage the Argos this time.

As well, the MLS policy states that franchises play in soccer only stadiums in order to control most revenues generated by their facilities (which the City of Toronto owns) and maintain uniformity.

A cooperative of both leagues would certainly help solidify venue upgrades, revenues and increase dates for BMO, although MLSE and the City have gone to great lengths to prevent this "community" stadium being used for anything other than soccer.

Never knew the stadium was that bad before.

Canadian national team soccer players had preferred Saputo Stadium when it was built because it had a Natural grass surface. Toronto responed by installing the best Natural surface available in the World that is used by most of the EPL teams stadiums. BMO will stay a soccer specific stadium not just for BMO but for the training of the National soccer teams. FIFA has accepted a high level of artificial turf for games but for a World Class Soccer program like the Canadian Women have Canada will need to have top soccer specific natural grass venues for the team and that is what BMO has become.
I am a CFL fan through and through and I know CFL fans do not want to hear it but Toronto wants that field for Soccer only not just for MLSE. That is just the way it is.
The Women's world cup may play some prelim rounds on the artificial turf in 2015 but almost for sure we will see temp Natural turf but in at Commonwealth and BC Place for knockout rounds semi final and championship games.
Big reason why the esks have made the special pre season arrangements for 2015.
Canada will most likely now look to host the Gold Cup in the future. It would mark the first time that it has been played outside of the US or Mexico.
Having BMO and Saputo already with Natural turf will be able to host 2 of the pool play rounds

Who give a rats rectum about the MLS or the other crooks at Soccer Canada.
The City of Toronto, MLSE and Soccer Canada pulled an end around and sandbagged the previous Argo owners and most important the taxpayers of Canada.
They can all go to hell.

The MLSE "allows" the Whitecaps to play in BC Place, the home of the Lions, so it's not like there's no precedent.

[b]“We’re spending a little bit of time on trying to figure out how to upgrade it,? said Tim Leiweke, MLSE’s new president and CEO. “Stadiums have changed, the game’s changed, the league’s changed,? Leiweke said. “And so when we came in (the league), BMO was fantastic. Today ... we have work to do at BMO and the owners agree.?[/b]
[/quote] How much could the game of SOCCER change in 6 years? Soccer hasn't changed in 100 years! How the hell does a stadium become obsolete in 6 years?

How much could the game of SOCCER change in 6 years? Soccer hasn't changed in 100 years! How the hell does a stadium become obsolete in 6 years?
[/quote]
As a rule when people talk about upgrading stadiums and arenas it means there worried about attendance now or in the near future.

How much could the game of SOCCER change in 6 years? Soccer hasn't changed in 100 years! How the hell does a stadium become obsolete in 6 years?
[/quote]
A new President looking to justify his pay ?

Say they update it everything is great for a few years but then attenndance drops off again then what are you just going to keep upgrading to me thats a waste of money.

I told you you would not like to hear that but that is the way it is.
The Women's National team did not play on home soil for months after the Olympics but when they did it was in Toronto at BMO field vs the US and tcikets started at 150 dollars and it sold out in less than an hour. Toronto does not want that kind of game anywhere else in Canada and hense there are a many who gives a rats behind.
Sorry I would like a stadium for the Argos as well but it is not going to be BMO

Not true.
Before the crap known as BMO and even afterwards, many games were held at Commonwealth Stadium, a football facility, and it drew big numbers.
I recall many games in excess of 35,000 and even one 50,000+, for women soccer.
So your premise how Soccer Canada needed a full time facility does not hold water.

I was just on Toronto Fc web site looking at tickets i was shocked for some games how many tickets are left.