Blue Jays 2019

Martin sent packing to LA for prospects .

And the Jays have to pick up about $16 million of his salary.

So between him and Tulo that is about $36 million going to players not on the roster.

Pindicateretty good indication that Anthopoulos really overpaid with the Martin and Tulo contracts in terms of both length of contacts and amount - forcing the current management with no choice pretty much except to eat the last year of their contracts.

Rogers (Jays owners) must be scratching their automatonic heads wondering how Anthopoulos could have caused so much financial damage in just 2 transactions.

Add a few other mopes & hobos (like BJ Ryan) to the equation and you have the formula for a perennial bottom-feeder that will soon start to hemorrhage money like nobody’s bidness - if you’re a Rogers customer brace yourself for sneaky rate increases in next 12 to 24 months (or a series of them)

Even a sewage squad wins games - right now I’d have the Jays at 66 to 74 wins, even the most optimistic predictions don’t have them approaching .500

Anthopoulos had a tendency to backload contracts, hence the huge amount left for Martin’s contract.

However, Tulo never signed with the Jays, his contract being from his Rockies’ tenure.

Actually some of the early predictions have them right around .500 for 2019.

• Fangraphs projects 77 - 85 for .478
  • Rotochamp projects 83 - 79 for .512

I expect them to be fun but under .500 this season but above .500 for 2020.

Jays update Guerrero Jr.'s weight to 250lbs...

https://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1258906.1550347693!/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/default/vladimir-guerrero-jr.jpg

Stay thick :wink:

If he can’t cut it in baseball - Vince McMahon prolly scoutin’ him as eventual replacement for King Kong Bundy!

Vlad the Inhaler!

RIP King Kong Bundy :cry:

$5 beer for Jays games this season - but for 12 oz. Bud and Bud Light only and from one stand on each level only? (Compared to the $12 - $14 for 16 - 20 oz beer everywhere else in the stadium. Could be quite the lineup. lol

Still looks like there are close to 20,000 tickets still available to the home opener. I suspect a REALLY slow start attendance wise - especially with the Leafs and Raptors (hopefully) dominating the sports scene in Toronto until well into May at least. As to whether or not attendance picks up after that depends on whether or not the kids are showing any signs that the rebuild is heading in the right direction.

I nailed my attendance prediction last year with my 2.9 million prediction - so here goes. IF they are hanging in near .500 well into the summer 2.7 million. If they fade early and never show any signs of challenging the .500 mark 2.3 million.

Blue Jays assign Vlad to minor-league camp

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/bluejays/blue-jays-assign-vlad-to-minor-league-camp/ar-BBUMIpm?ocid=spartanntp

That's a shame!

I thought he was the 2nd coming of Babe Ruth? Maybe they just said that because he's... chubby. Anyway, hope he spends the rest of his career in the minors.

Everyone knew this was going to happen. There was no possible scenario where he started the season in the big leagues.

Plus, the chicken wings are so much better in Buffalo.

Good point. Makes me want to head down there and catch Vladdy in action one last time in AAA. Going to a game in Buffalo is a blast.

I was making reference to Glady’s ever expanding waistline, but, if you go, I hope you enjoy them, too.

If they could just convince Prince Fielder to come out of retirement, maybe Big Poppy from Boston they could field an all-star team of Porky DHs

Nobody who could break 8.8 in a 40 but lots of big boy dingers, to be sure!

May as well have fun.

This version of the Blue Jays will be lucky to grab 75 wins.

And odds favour somewhere between 68 and 73

I know. I just like putting a positive spin on your negative comments ;D

:slight_smile:

As per Don Brennans' article in today's Sun...

"How many witnesses will be on hand for the 3:37 p.m. start is a serious question. There are still plenty of good seats available, as they say. Jays are hoping for good walk-up, just like they are for the rest of the weekend series with the Tigers."

Sounds like the bloom is off the rose - sure didn't take long. Even the HOME OPENER is drawing yawns. The Blue Jays better hurry and start handing out freebees.

Can't wait for the Usual Suspects to put their "spin" on that. ::slight_smile: You can do it, Patrick! You can do it!!!!

No spin from me. I already posted about the home opener ticket sales struggles and have said they are going to have a rough start attendance wise to the season. The only hope of it picking up is if the kids are good enough to play some entertaining and competitive ball to generate some interest once area sports fans recover from what will undoubtedly be a complete overload of Leafs and/or Raptors playoff coverage - hopefully well into May at least.

I did just check Ticketmaster and in the last 10 days or so one of two things have happened with the home opener. Either 15,000 people have bought tickets to the game or the Jays have ‘distributed’ a bunch of tickets or some combination of the two. Because right now fewer than 5,000 of the 20,000 or so tickets that were available about 10 days ago appear to be available now.

I’m going Friday night and right now it looks like they’ll be lucky to top 16,000 for that one.