Blue Bombers receiver Travis Rudolph charged with murder in Florida

Let me be the first to say
Innocent until proven guilty

I’d never heard of the guy.

Anyway the Bombers have already released him:

Me neither
And let me also say

I’d or I’ve never heard of the guy??? :grinning:

I’d (short form of I had) is correct; I’ve (as in, I have) would not be correct, as I now have heard of the guy. :grinning:

Actually I'd is the contraction of I would as in I'd have have gone to the movie but was unable

Good to see the Bombers have finally learned from their past indiscretions and are holding their players to the standard that is expected of a classy organization. Now if only they could figure out who juiced Andrew Harris's water they could get themselves half way to that classy label.

According to Oxford, either is acceptable:

I’d

/īd/

contraction

1. I had.

“I’d agreed to go”

• I would or I should.

“I’d like a bath”

Man, oh man. We need some football to talk about😀.

1 Like

…non-fixed it for ya

Innocent until proven guilty

1 Like

It is not used that way 'round these parts

Honestly…it scrapes a nerve when I hear it

No problem, we all have our pet peeves. As is fairly well remembered here, mixing up “then” and “than” is my pet peeve.

Mine is actually..."I could care less"

2 Likes

There's one I've been always using that is apparently incorrect.

** You’ve got another thing coming vs. You’ve got another think coming*

This is one of those phrases where the incorrect usage actually does make sense and has become its own phrase. But it’s still technically wrong. In fact, most people don’t even know the correct phrase unless they look it up (I sure didn’t). The correct version really only makes sense if you use the entire sentence “if that’s what you think, you’ve got another think coming.”*

1 Like

Yes, it could be a case of “stand your ground”

and you all (all of you) - Y’all
How Y’all doin? - I love livin in Florida

“Y’all” is from Old English. It means “ye all.”

Related. . . ‘goodbye’ was originally slang; the proper phrase in old England during the Dark Ages when parting company was ‘god be with ye’; goodbye is merely a contraction of ‘god be with ye’; how the extra “o” snuck in there is a mystery to me.

“Goodbye” is still in use throughout the English-speaking world.

“Y’all” fell out of use in the UK ages ago. I’m not sure if it was ever in use in the other colonies during the height of the British Empire.