Steve Milton The Hamilton Spectator

Sept 14, 2007

click here

“We’re not going to sit on our hands
in this game,” says linebacker Jojuan Armour,
who’s not really the secretive type.

"For the first time, I think, we have
a game plan where we’re the aggressor,

and they’re going to have to adjust to us.

…“I think it’s just time for a change,” says Armour,
who relishes anything which turns him loose.

"All year we’ve practised blitzes we don’t use.

Now’s the time to put into action

the things we’ve been practising."

Can’t hurt.

8) Pray tell, why have they waited till now to implement these special blitzes that they have been practising all year ????? The season is basically over now !!!! Unbelievable !!!! :roll:

Lack of confidence in the ability
our secondary to cover man to man.

Do you blame them for that, Tip?

Every week, new, even less inexperienced
rookie defensive backs are being tried out.

Good luck guys, I hope you give us a great game!

LMAO, anything a silly ticat player will say... I dare you to blitz you NEVER will get close to Kevin Glenn, need I remind you the Bombers have the fewest sacks allowed? Hmmmm and even if you do get through want happens? dump pass to Roberts and he has clear running for 10+ yards..2nd stright blow out win by the BOMBERS!

Blitz Kreig!!!

All right!

We have the makings of an awsome defence with two of my favorite plays this year coming from them.

Both those plays were goal line stands like I havn't seen for decades!

Blitz Kreig!!

EE haaa! :cowboy:

Send them to Brantford :wink:

Hmmm, I sure Taafe would want his plans annouced a few days ahead, to make the Bombers have time to adjust.

In lieu of consistent pass rush from the defensive line, yes I do Ron. LOL

One has to at least MIX blitzes into the playcall and try to disguise them. When we have blitzed, there hasn't been much disguise, IMHO. As a result, we haven't seen the level of sacks or hurries necessary to insulate a young secondary and allow them to actually make plays.

I hope O'Neil is with it tomorrow night and keeps his focus. If he's dialing up heat, he'd better vary it and keep the Bombers off-balance.

Oski Wee Wee,

trying to blitz the bombers could be a big mistake. Every team this season has bemoaned the fact that they couldn't get enough pressure on Kevin Glenn. The guy just has too fast a release and his o-line is playing too well. Blitzing is quite likely to get a team burned. Hell Edmonton earlier in the year stopped even trying to pressure Glenn and rushed only 2 players dropping the rest back into coverage to try and stop him. If you blitz him you better get there in one heck of a hurry otherwise he's getting the ball outta there in time to an open receiver.

Who's Glenn going to throw to? It's not like Steagall has ever had much success against the Ticats.

(unless you count 1-2 TDs per game, year in and year out, as "success")

That's one school of thought. The other is mixing in timed (or "delayed") blitzes from non-blitz looks. The point is to try to generate as much d-line pressure as possible and supplement it with blitzing as necessary.

This defence scares no one as is, so dialing up more pressure will help somewhat. Otherwise, Glenn and co. will pick our vanilla approaches apart.

Oski Wee Wee,

If your blitzes aren't well-timed, quick, and effectively disguised, yes you will get burnt. That's the reality of the CFL today. Gone are the days when you could just line up 8 guys at the line of scrimmage, send them to the quarterback, and be reasonably confident of generating a sack, incompletion, or interception.

Today's CFL offenses are savvier than they were even 5 years ago. To me, a good blitz does two things:

1. It gets there QUICKLY.
  2. It disguises itself effectively. Disguise doesn't always boil down to a simple binary of "Will they blitz or will they not?," although that is certainly important. Disguise also means shuffling personnel at the line of scrimmage so that the O-line becomes confused about their blocking assignments, thus increasing the chances of one or more blitzers going untouched straight to the QB. That's how you get pressure on a QB and throw him off his rhythm: when he doesn't even know from where or who the pressure is coming.

Are you kidding me!!! Bombers have 3 of the top 5 receivers stats wise in the CFL. Try Armstrong or Edwards just to start. Last week it was Franklin and O'Neil who saw the ball a lot. Then just for kicks they can throw to Roberts out in the flat. Please, Cats blitz to your hearts content.

Indeed. I recall watching a DVD on the history of Da Bears where Mike Singletary was discussing Buddy Ryan's 46 defence.

They had sixty (60) pass rushing pressure plays from the base formation ALONE.

What are they going to do? <<< a pregame preoccupation

WHAT THE? <<< in-game, running for one's life question in realtime, when the bullets are flying!

Why Sudsy's defensive strateges were so great with the right personnel is that he forced the QB to take that extra bounce or two to read WTH he was facing. Great defensive coordinators create that kind of uncertainty. Open book d-coordinators tend to bite the dust quickly because unless you have a top-tier complement of players to work a vanlla scheme, you are toast in pro football.

People may point to the Tampa-2 as a rebuttal to that, but keep in mind that even with the Cover 2 as the base shell of he defence, it certainly does not factor in the most different tactics used with the front seven, zone blitzing, and the use of other secondary schemes in the game. Tony Dungy, for example, uses the Cover 2 far less than Monte Kiffin does, as an example. Nevertheless, it is the staple of the Colts defence. What makes that unit tick is the presence of Bob Sanders when healthy, Dwight Freeney's track-team pass rush. and the fact EVERYONE gets it and knows their role.

Beyond media labels of what teams do in all phases of the game, there are the adjustments and option aspects that create playmaking opportunities throughout the game. This is the serendipity I like to refer to. You can't simply blackboard that. We have such a baller in Casey Printers. With help from a new DE on the other side, NML could evolve into that kind of player on the D. Watching Montford at his peak spoils one as to how one man can transform a game, game after game, by simply being a non-stop hustling improviser. We want to develop those qualities in the players who come here.

Playing safe is death (thank you Jay Feaster LOL).

Oski Wee Wee,

Excellent post, Oskie. Montford was a holy terror at his peak because he could make something out of nothing and get a sack or forced fumble on his own. Right now, in the absence of those kinds of game-breaking players, you TiCats need a defensive coordinator with more than a handful of plays in his playbook. A guy who can outscheme the other team's O.C. even with subpar personnel. And you don't have that. You have mostly average or subpar players and a D.C. who isn't creative and courageous enough to devise a system whose complexity becomes enough of a problem for the opposing QB to read that it creates that extra second or split-second of uncertainty, allowing a pass-rusher to sack the QB, force a fumble, generate a bad throw, etc.

And guess what? Feaster's Lightning won the Stanley Cup. :slight_smile: So yes, safe is death. Or to quote John Madden, "The only thing a prevent defense prevents is a win." :wink: