Blame Game

I'm sorry to make a post like this, but I didn't want it buried in a thread. Many journalists are trying to "out" the guy responsible. Someone has been named, and his name is getting all over the media now. I'm not saying it because I think it's friggin demented.

All right, let's play the blame game. I was there, I saw several hundred fans in the stands behind that end zone. Why not any one of them start yelling at the Riders "YOU HAVE TOO MANY MEN", and get a panic going. Armstead would have reacted and ran out. So, if idiots want someone to hang, then my vote is the several hundred Fans who were in the North end zone.

Give me a break, the paparazzi version of the CFL is about to run a talented player into an emotional oblivion, and probably right out of the CFL, reminiscent of the movie ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE...."laces out, laces out"......

c'mon people, there are TONS of people that made a mistake.....stop making it "ONE" person.....especially "journalists", you're embarassing all of us, in the name of Rider Fans. You don't speak for us, so stop.

I fully agree. I used to have minimal respect for Dave Naylor but that's gone now since I saw him naming names. Schultzy is right a lot of the time and I agree with him that this guy doesn't deserve to be publicly humiliated.

My hat is off to the Roughriders organization who win as a team and … well, y'know.

who cares now we all make mistakes its hard but let it go it should not of come down to the last play anyway.It was not ment to be.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. After the game I was unhappy and pretty damn depressed about it but not angry with the team. It was a great season to watch and they played very well. Heck we finished first in the west for the first time in my life and convincingly beat Calary in the final. We lost to the "unbeatable" team by ONE point and a mistake. I live in Edmonton and have heard that damn 13th man joke at least 10 times since Sunday but I am still proud to be a Rider fan. If we can keep our core players for next season I have no doubt we'll be at the grey cup again.

"No comment, handled internally, next question"

Guess Naylor wanted to look important one more time
zero respect for him

i have a good feeling us rider fans including the 13 th man will have the last laugh :smiley:

media wants to make stories.. they need $$ and so they go fishing for stuff that should be left alone!..

it's ridiculous.

Miller not speaking is the right thing to do.

the players should just ignore the media.

By now everyone knows it is being widely reported in the media that Sean Lucas was the extra man on the field. Lucas is not a free agent in 2010 but I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade in the off season. The Ghost of Grey Cup Past may be just to painfull for him to deal with.

We all know that it should never have come down to the field goal try. In the second half the offense couldn't keep Calvillo off the field and the defense couldn't shut him down. All the players along with the coaches have to take this one.

On the other hand, the team had a great year considering they were picked to finish last in the division. Congratulations to the 2009 Saskatchewan Roughriders!

Even if it was Lucas, so what? Will that info change the end result of the game??

As has been said previously, the Riders win as a team, and do ... that other thing ... as a team.

The only question that remains is this: will this incident make the team stronger next year, or will they run and hide with their collective tails between their legs?

My take? - in 2010, the colour of the truck that runs rampant through the CFL is GREEN

ya, I can see that easily being the case in 2010.. we're a good team!

we have so much to show for 2009, this team was finally coming around the turn and one small mistake (amidst a few others) cost us a win.

they'll be back, determined to get back to Edmonton and then win it big!

In fairness, here's Naylor's response to the criticism. . .

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/from-the-sidelines/just-doing-the-job-folks/article1385545/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/fr ... le1385545/[/url]

Naylor did nothing wrong, and he is right on with his defense. He made no insinuations, nor did he assert anything that couldn't be proven as public fact. The 13th-man fiasco was the pivotal story of this year's Grey Cup, and as such, scrutiny was inevitable.

funny how the same people now say this was the pivotal play of the grey cup
which I agree, no penalty we win
yet
According to Als fans and CFL panel the Als deserved to win, "we kicked yor ass 2nd half"
so what is it then
DId we give you the game or did u deserve it?
thats why it was not important to identify 13th guy

And far as Naylor
he better tell us which gm is voting for reduction of canadians in CFL
thats reporting

Actually, naming Lucas is insinuating enough, without proof, and there isn't any, just circumstantial. The Riders are not saying, and who the hell is naylor for saying? Why does a name HAVE to be out there? Who the hell is ANYONE for saying. Naylor is a jerk for trying to make it one person's fault. Miller said it was 4 people that was required to count, Miller included, Reed included. This is what is sickening about all this, why do we have to live in a vigalant society that can only wash away a mistake by making one person accountable? Therefore, once that person is shamed the wrong is corrected? Naylor can report all he sees on film, but no one knows, and furthermore no one should care. Naylor is digging, and it's basically gossip journalism. The same is happening to Tiger woods right now. How does it matter to his golf game if he's shagging some other woman? That's between his wife and him. Yet, we in this society thirst for blood. By defending those who insist on going through a witchhunt, you're no better. It's what made Jerry Springer so popular, people like you love to watch others hurt, fueling Springer to keep providing. Naylor does the same, only he is masking it with "I didn't do anything wrong, I'm a professional, I report what anyone else can see on film", yet he STILL NAMED A NAME WITHOUT PROOF. How does it change the game? If this is what turns you on, then I suggest you get a hobby.

Lyle Bauer in Winnipeg is apparently the one.

reports and rumours are that the Winnipeg Owner wants to reduce Canadians and he's using Bauer as his puppet.

Read his story again. He never says Lucas was the guilty party. He simply notes that Lucas was on the field for the first kick and off the field for the second kick. That is a verifiable matter of public record.

Good day

i was at the game and it was an amazing game, the outcome was not what Rider Nation wanted. With that said, it was not one player who made the mistake, it was a team, anyone could have seen that we had 13 players on, as well everyone knew the Als were kicking the field goal, so why was Armstead late getting on the field, cause the block was on, and someone on the side lines must have said get on there. So with the amount of cheer and fan noise we were making it also didn't help our cause, we made it impossible for the Riders to hear as well as the Als. So the blame has to be partly on US, the fans. The hard pill to swallow is that Duval missed the kick, the top kicker in the leaque missed the kick when he was under pressure, Then any kicker in the leaque could do the second kick,the pressure was off, so that's the hard pill to swallow.If Duval had made the firsts kick, the penalty wouldn't have mattered. Game would have been over after the Als declined the penalty. There are so many things that happens in a game, one play doesn't give a team a win. Why didn't we try to score a touchdown with 2 seconds left in the half, why did we give them the single point, why didn't we get down field faster to pin the Als in on the first missed field goal by the Riders, all these things come into play. I am a Rider Fan thru the bad and good, they played an amazing game, and we took the number one team in the leaque to no seconds left in the game. Heads up, we are Champions, maybe not officially but we have nothing to hang our heads about. Can't wait until the 2010 season. GO RIDERS GO!!!!

So why say anyone's name at all? What's the point? The point is he is trying to blame SOMEONE. Guilty by circumstantial evidence. Thats the WHOLE point of the story. That's like saying "I know you wife isn't a whore, but I saw her alone in a single's bar talking with lots of guys. Doesn't mean she slept with anyone." You seem like an intelligent person, so I'm sure this point isn't escaping you. So, with the other 24 people plus officials on the field, who else did he mention?

And, for a guy who says he doesn't intend to continue debate in Sask Forums, here you are yet again, commenting and attempting to pick flys out of crap? You are proving my theory. You keep coming in from your neck of the woods because I assume you would love to see Rider fans tear up a guy. I mean, why else are you interested in what Rider Fans have to say?

Not going to happen.

He's a sports journalist. This issue is an important part of what transpired in the Grey Cup game. Rightly or wrongly, fans and media are going to want to know just who was not supposed to be on the field for the kick.

The point is he is trying to blame SOMEONE. Guilty by circumstantial evidence. Thats the WHOLE point of the story. That's like saying "I know you wife isn't a *****, but I saw her alone in a single's bar talking with lots of guys. Doesn't mean she slept with anyone." You seem like an intelligent person, so I'm sure this point isn't escaping you. So, with the other 24 people plus officials on the field, who else did he mention?
Not sure how someone's wife comes into this discussion, to be honest. We're discussing a professional sporting event. Nobody is spying on Lucas's house or talking to his family. Nobody is trying to get inside his personal life. Naylor is simply going over the publicly available footage of the Grey Cup game and telling readers what he saw. I can understand that you don't like it, but the man is just doing his job.
And, for a guy who says he doesn't intend to continue debate in Sask Forums, here you are yet again, commenting and attempting to pick flys out of crap? You are proving my theory. You keep coming in from your neck of the woods because I assume you would love to see Rider fans tear up a guy. I mean, why else are you interested in what Rider Fans have to say?
I don't want to see Rider fans tear up anyone, not Naylor, not Kavis Reed, and especially not Lucas if he was indeed at fault. Players and coaches are human beings and human beings make mistakes.

hey neilca awsome post and well put I just wanted to add one thing when we burned our last timeout at 50 seconds i looked at my wife and said "how come we never just kick the ball" watch the damn clock at the end of the field and say hike with one second left instead of burning a time out this way, its always bothered me that choice, and I know hind sight is 20 20 but there had to be a better way to use a time out in this game. and if you finish a close game with a time out BIG DEAL. You cant tell me lapolice wasnt screaming "13 MEN TIME OUT 13 MEN"