Blackouts

I Live in Lasalle Ontario,that is near Windsor.I try to attend at least 1 or 2 games a year.It use to be more but now that I've got a family I can't go as much.But I love the cats.That said it is a three and a half hour drive to the Hammer, so thats seven hours folks.If you add up the cost of the gas, the tickets and missing work to go it is an expensive night out.And lately this team has sucked.I didn't go to the opener because I couldn't get away. If I did I would have seen my first Ticat TD in two Years. And how does this team pay back it's fans,by holding them hostage by blacking out games.We are always told sports is a business and entertainment.If I don't like the products or service I'm getting I don't shop or eat there anymore and if I don't like the show I'm leaving.20,000 fans showed up Thursday night and got served up horsecrap with whip cream and a cherry on top.And we are now told eat it or we will take your tv away.I think that stinks worse than this team.

Half your post is slamming the Cats and calling them "horsecrap" but your all angry over them blacking out two games.

If I really felt something was so lousy I had to pubicly denounce them I really wouldn't care if all the games were blacked out.
C'mon....I'm kinda feelin it....admit it you really love us dontcha?

Also if you can only make a couple games a year why not try for the ones that are being blacked out?

Personally if I was Bob Young, I'd be blacking out as many games as I'm allowed to. This is a gate driven league as we all know.

Wouldn't that be OUTSIDE the blackout area??

Interesting rant but I would think you are well outside of the distance that would receive the Blackout.

The fact that you'd put in the effort to attend even one game a year is pretty great, LaSalleMark - that's one game more than 90% of the citizens of greater Hamilton see in a year. Kudos to you.

But, as others have stated, you are outside of the blackout area, so your rant is a bit off-base. Unless you are just a proxy ranter for someone in the affected area. :wink:

Where you at the game?

The Blackout REALLY helped attendance.

There may have been 20,000 tickets, but if there were 15,000 at the game I'm being generous.

Was this game blacked out? (I was there so donr know)

I was at the game, I’m a season ticket holder. True, it didn’t look like many more than 15,000.

The point still stands, blackouts in general are useless.

However I agree with Earl after last night's game. For different reasons of course.

If i was Bob Young I'd be too embarrassed to show the cats on TV too.

that said i still plan on goin to every game (minus the july 12th game, i'm outta town.)

[b]However I agree with Earl after last night's game. For different reasons of course.

If i was Bob Young I'd be too embarrassed to show the cats on TV too.[/b]

You may have gotten into my brain Espo and relayed what I was thinking but unable to get it out and on paper.

I'm curious as to where the evidence is to back that statement up?

The reason Im asking is that we once had a league commissioner offer a meeting room full of fans a complete breakdown of attendance figures for the 90's (up to 97) and at that time he was quite happy to challenge anyone present to view records showing that blackouts do indeed increase attendance.

I keep seeing people say it's been proven they don't but so far no one's done what he did and offer figures and dates to back it up.

The hard evidence, apparently, says otherwise, Espo. It was widely reported that revenue increases for blacked out games.

Blacking out more than a few games, I'd agree, has a negative affect in a market with other similar choices. I don't like the blackout thing, even though it doesn't affect me, but if the ownership has done their research...

8) What are you talking about anyway, the game was not even blacked out last week !!!!!!! :roll:

I have no problem with a blackout based on attendance #'s (say if the team doesn't draw 20,000 the game will be blacked out)

but to randomly blackout games to try and boost attendance?

it's punishing the fans, and although i have no figures pointing whether or not they "work" my oh so basic reasoning skills still realize that less exposure to a fan base isn't a good thing

and also that if its enough to annoy a fan to the point of wavering on whether or not to go to a blacked out game on principle, its also probably not a good thing.

startin to think that using the stub hub and exchanging my tickets for the game/games that is/are blacked out so that i can bring a friend to another game.

Maybe the blackouts are really more of symbol of blacker things to come, so to speak, if our owner continues to lose money on the team. I read in the paper that the Ticats estimate increased revenues from some blackouts. Now if this projection doesn't happen, and maybe even worse, less fans, well, I think I just might see where the Ticat franchise is heading.
There was another article about stadium issues in today's paper - and this one in the first section, not just sports. The writing is on the wall everybody.

It's only punishing fans that don't go to games. I'm sure the team would use the word encouraging rather than punishing.

I'm more disappointed than p'ed off by the blackouts, because it seems like a bit of a desperation move by an organization that has publicly stood against "encouraging" attendance by means other than good entertainment value.

A fair point you make on the fan annoyance thing, but have you noticed a huge increase in the number of decisions that are causing fans to boycott games on principle lately? And how many of those are over decisions (bag searches, no outside food, no metal poles, increased ticket prices for the best seats, etc.) that are routinely made, or are already standard operating procedure, for other teams.

That's also worrisome - makes you wonder whether the Cats can operate the same way that other teams in the league do without shedding their fan base. I only hope that the increase in "on principle" defections that corresponded with a terrible on-field product leads to corresponding increase in people willing to throw their principles out the window once the team starts offering a good onfield product.

the blackouts in the 60's, 70's are the NUMBER 1 REASON the NFL is so popular in the toronto/hamilton area. now with the bills coming to toronto for 1 or 2 games per year the cats with their poor performances over the years are giving the fans another reason to show their support elswhere. when the cats start putting a product on the field where fans want to see blackouts won't be to much of a problem, except for the fans who go to the game and want to tape it and watch it later

1tccat wrote,

the blackouts in the 60's, 70's are the NUMBER 1 REASON the NFL is so popular in the toronto/hamilton area. now with the bills coming to toronto for 1 or 2 games per year the cats with their poor performances over the years are giving the fans another reason to show their support elswhere. when the cats start putting a product on the field where fans want to see blackouts won't be to much of a problem, except for the fans who go to the game and want to tape it and watch it later

In the 60s and 70s the ticats and T.0 had their best attendance over those decades. The blackouts didn`t deter fans from coming to the games.

but did affect both tor and ham in the 80s with the young people not exposed with the cfl on tv only the nfl on tv