Blackouts in the name of Profitability?

How was your year off, magickmandy? :roll:

this has to make tsn happy one of the largest tv markets in the country blacked out. this is just another reason i probably wont renew next season and i dont care if the teams 18-0 or 0-18 the record doesnt matter to me just this ownership

What's so mysterious about operating the team and pricing seats just like the rest of the league does?

Probably true. Two games won't make a huge difference but I hope this isn't the thin edge of the wedge.

As for your youth (as in mine), there were probably way fewer options for things to do and way less media coverage of every other sport going. Today, I think it's better to get your product out in front of as many people as possible as often as possible and blacking out games doesn't help.

An Argo-Cat fan

then good riddance to you.

you have a point about media coverage of other sports and leagues (NFL). I just thinking lifting blackouts is counterproductive to fighting it.

I think they should find ways to get more people watching the away games, to wet their appetite for going to home games. If you cant get the desire to go to home games from watching away games, you aint going to get it watching home games either.

I think home games for all teams that dont get enough fans in seats to justify lifting blackout, should be on PPV for the benifit of shutins and those others that cannot get out to the game. That way, they can still make financial contribution to the team, as they should.

Meh. you'll get over it, AMG

Have to admit I called it perfectly when I said some long lost username would crawl out of the woodwork again.
When it comes to off-field issues that potentially make the org. look bad ..you can set your watch by it.

Somebody out there with a buffet of usernames has a serious problem with the current regime.

Of course it could all be a crazy coincidence.

Re: Blackouts.If you cant afford a gen. admission ticket to the games effected, if it does indeed happen, you have way more pending concerns and problems than live sporting events.

Great post, Barney. You and I and many like us have seen both sides of the blackout coin over the years and realize that in the long run, it doesn't work.

I am noticing on this thread, that apart from "Footballyoubet" (a BC fan) and a couple others, the blackout idea isn't being well received for a variety of reasons.

Don't pontificate to us Hamilton fans FYB, because we live and work here and if we are to support this team, we need to know it's every move; good or bad.

Yes, you did call it perfectly. That’s why I said it was entertaining and I did laugh. I just think anyone can post whatever they want, whenever they want.

Trust me…I’m over it.

If you’re right about the buffet, then rip them all you want…but I was under the impression they can monitor the IP address and block an IP address that has multiple users. (Meaning it would have to be different users…wouldn’t it?)

Apparently my original post has been deleted though. Not sure what I said to deserve my post being wiped out by the mods. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I'd love to say I do, but I can take that so many different ways, I'm not sure which one to pick first!! :lol: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

We've been through this umpteen times in the past too: the guilt trip. If you're a "true" fan you'll support the team, on tv or not, winning or lose, fair priced or expensive. It's like giving the fans an ultimatum - go the the game or else.

The fact is that this business, THe Hamilton Tiger-Cats, should realize that you can't intimidate your CUSTOMERS into spending their money on your product. Whether this tactic sells 1000 more tickets or so for those two games who knows...but a hint to the organization - your attendance is down because you've won 12 games in 5 years. Not only did the team lose, but they were a downright embarrassment. Fix the problem at the root and give it time. IF the team is much improved this year, you'll see attendance improve.

As for those who call fans "bandwagon" jumpers, get a grip. Nobody, has a duty to attend any games at all. The organization should go out of there way to make the games accessible, not the other way around.

As for the blackouts, I'm not in favour of it but I'll be at the games anyways....so it's all the same to me.

Mandy,

You rock. Remind me to stay on your good side, that kinda Karma coming back at me could be dangerous.....:slight_smile:

Never apologize for your opinion would be my advice and ignore those cruel curmudgeons who dwell on the negative.

Cheers.

Ok, I am able to admit when I'm wrong or have jumped the gun a bit, so I am apologizing for not seeing this before telling you that you needed to be nicer about judging me.
I may have gone off a little more then I really could have, and I'm sorry that I didn't read this before I wrote all of that. In an extention of my apology I am offering to delete that post. Just say the word.

Apology accepted? Truce? "Friends" again?

If it will stop the mawkish 40 paragraph sagas it isnt a truce I surrender unconditionally.

Just to clarify my last post to you - I apologized to him for telling him he should wish me well in getting better and getting to the game AFTER he had posted a "hang in there Mandy" which I hadn't seen.
I am not apologizing for having opinions, I just wish that this was a place you could voice them without being attacked. It seems that every year I go through this; something happens that I don't agree with and/or understand and I voice that in some often lengthy (as you may have noticed) post, always ending it the same way, by stating it was only my opinion, and someone jumps on me for it and there ends up being a post battle back and forth and in the end I just stick to reading here and speaking elsewhere - it reduces stress.
Usually we've at least STARTED the season before that happens - this I think is a record being as it only took a couple hours before I was once again ready to walk away from my keyboard (not the site or the team, just the keyboard). I'm fairly certain (though that's not a guarantee) that when I am replying to anyone's post that I don't agree with, I don't make them feel as though they shouldn't be here unless they're post 12 months a year, that they are not true fans or good fans or whatever if they don't agree with almost everything the org. does, or that they'd be better off following that saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" - even if it only seems to apply to me.

Over sensitive, yes. Often for a reason, also yes. I took offence to what seemed to be a personal attack on me, not the first one I've dealt with here, but not to the opinion of what this thread is really supposed to be about, the blackouts.
People are always talking about how a lot of Ti Cat fans are only fans when they are winning, and bash them when they aren't. Perhaps we should notice that there are "bandwagon" fans not only when it comes to the team, but also when it comes to the fans themselves.

I thank you very much for your support and I do hope that you understand that I wasn't caving in on my entire posts, simply on my reaction to what I saw as a personal attack, which I later realized may not have been. My opinion has not changed on the subject though. I stand by my reasons why I don't think the blackouts will work out the way the Powers think it will.

:wink: :D :wink:

I can't guarantee that it will stop the long winded sagas, as I have little self control over being so long winded, but I will do my very best not to direct them at you or others unless I find myself under personal attack.

I thank you for your surrender and express my appreciation as well.

Zontar wrote,

Have to admit I called it perfectly when I said some long lost username would crawl out of the woodwork again. When it comes to off-field issues that potentially make the org. look bad ..you can set your watch by it.

Somebody out there with a buffet of usernames has a serious problem with the current regime.

Of course it could all be a crazy coincidence.

I have to say, what`s with the infatuation with long lost usernames and conspiracy theories about hidden agendas?? I think your absolutely paranoid!!

I`m assuming you have been referring to me and a few members( in some of your recent posts) as one of the long lost usernames that go months between posts

I for one, have only used one user name since I joined this forum and I can honestly say I don`t have any hidden agendas or plots to anger the organization.

I havent posted in a few months because Im very busy. That doesnt matter anyways because any member can post anytime they want. I have been a diehard tiger cat fan for 30 years and bleed the black and gold. As a fan of this team and a member of the forum. Im entitled to comment on anything I like,or post a topic. Just like anyone else here. If I comment on something, I am legitimately interested in whats going on with the Tiger Cats. Im a passionate fan that likes to keep informed on issues that may effect this team.

Personally, I don`t have time to go through a million posts to see if the topic has been covered or not. So if I reiterate something that has been brought up in the past, who gives a s---!!

Is it that important to you to mock members sarcastically if they bring up an important topic???

Don't pontificate to us Hamilton fans FYB, because we live and work here and if we are to support this team, we need to know it's every move; good or bad.
you think you are so unique, that every other cfl city doesnt have fans that say the same. This is not just a hamilton issue you know.