Blackout......

Aren't the tv viewer numbers up this year?

That's what's being said on the cfl message board.

How do these blackouts help the tv product anyway?

Also, isn't there an opportunity to attract new fans if the game is playing on a tv in a bar/restaurant?

Have there been any studies done that conclude that blackouts improve a teams bottom line? In the NFL? Saskatchewan? Anywhere?

8) I find it ironic that the 2 members doing the most complaining on this topic are brand new members !! One joined July 24 and the other July25.
Coincidence I wonder ???

You both have now turned your back on the TiCats because of this blackout !!!

If you both were such staunt fans you would have known a month ago that 2 games would be blacked out this year.  It shouldn't come as some big bad surprise yesterday !!!

Since you both have stated that you have now given up on supporting the team, I guess we will not see you back on this site anymore either !!!

Have a nice day !!!       <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Tipper,
With responses like that, maybe that's why we didn't join earlier. It didn't come as a surprise...it has been a longtime frustration. Maybe if you debated the marketing savvy of the blackout, rather than taking unsubstantiated potshots, you could change our minds. A healthy debate is never a bad thing. I see you have 624 posts. That definitely says something. You can fill in the blanks.

So, did you take adavatge of the traditions club and then bolt?

There are plenty of seats that went down in price.

It's just a local blackout.

Have there been any studies done that conclude that blackouts improve a teams bottom line? In the NFL? Saskatchewan? Anywhere?
Yes. The avearge increase in revenue for locally blacked out games in other CFL cities is $100,000 per game.

Hey, then they should blackout ALL the games!

NO BRANDY FOR YOU!

I’m good with the fact that there’s a threshhold at which the blackout will allegedly be lifted at 90% capacity (@24,500)

that i can agree with.

8) Ok eotm, I wasn't taking "unsubstantiated potshots" at you. You certinly took some at the TiCat Football Club however. It is very frustrating for me to actually believe that someone who has been a fan since 1967 would suddenly give up on the team just because of the blackout.
 I have actually been attending TiCat games a little longer than you.  For me roughly 1961, and I could not visualize quiting on the team for a simply blackout.  

I imagine you would remember the blackouts back in the old days when Sazio ran things.  I realized then that if I was going to see my team at all, that I would have to buy a ticket and go to the games, which I did.

In those old days most games were blacked out, but attendance was close to capacity all the time!!

In fairness to Bob Young, he has not blacked out 1 game since he bought the team.  He has given away thousands of free tickets at the same time.  

Do you not feel he has finally reached the point where he would like to see some return on his investment here.  (if he ever does)

The CFL is a gate driven league, especially in Hamilton where the walk up crowd is very important.   

I would hope that you will cool off and have second thoughts about your decision to desert this team !!!

Have a nice day !!              <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->

I Have no problem with 2 games being blacked out. It`s not a big deal. The Cats need butts in the stands.

If you can`t make it to the game. Listen to CHML and participate in the game thread.

I don`t really see what all the fuss is about.

eotm are you kidding or what? You are walking away from the Cats because of two blackouts? I can’t go to the game either (My wife is about to give birth anyday)so I will sadly miss the Cats.

I agree that the blackout is a marketing blunder that will alienate ‘pseudo or fringe fans’, but if you watch each game with “heart and passion” as you say then be creative. Don’t return your merchandise. In fact, buy more. Outfit 12 neighbourhood kids this evening. Go to a rival neighbourhood, the really wealthy one, get 12 kids to put on green and gold t-shirts (with iron on letters, like the ones that fell off the Cats jerseys during the inagurial game against the Gretzky, Candy and McNall Argo team) and tear 'em a new one.

Find a new team that cares about you? Brother, are you serious? Do you think the Leafs care about you? No they are to busy catering to suits that don’t even show up to the games. NFL? The Bills blackout anything that doesn’t sell out. They have like a 60,000 seat stadium or something ridiculous like that. The City is in the middle of a modern day great depression. Every home downtown is boarded up. Ralph Wilson doesn’t care about you or anybody. How about the guy that moved the Baltimore Colts in the middle of the night?

No sports team cares, but I believe the Cats do. They are the most accessible team in this great land. In fact I was in line behind Angelo Mosca at Costco the other day. My dad met Ron Lancaster outside of Rankins last week. Minor Football players get to meet their heroes every year for a mini-camp. Now that is a team that cares. Bob Young cares. I agree they are making a blunder by blacking out the game. The product right now is crap. They are doing everything in their power to get people to the gates.

eotm, are you really Scott Mitchell trying to get everyone fired up?

Don’t walk away eotm we need you and your kids. The tide will turn. Be part of the tsunami! Eat 'em Raw!

Listening to the game on radio is a good way to enjoy the game, And Ronny the little General Lancaster is the best.

Tipper & StKittsfan
To Tipper: I still think you took some shots (and yes, I did too, so I can't point fingers!) :+) However you make some very valid points in your response...and who am I kidding? Yes, I will still be a fan. Yes, I was ticked and feel a little betrayed. Yes, I still believe that a blackout is a bad marketing decision. That said, I will probably be a ticat fan till they stick me in an urn. You win!
stkitsfan: you win, too! I hate it when people make sense! :+) I loved your post, at least we do agree about a few things, and you are right, overall.
Let's all enjoy the game tonight! (those of us who can see it!) :+) - just a joke guys...couldn't resist it! Have a great night tonight!
Gotta go rescue my jersey from the trash bin.

Well all these posts were very interesting… so… back to my original post does anyone know if the TSN.ca live stream is blacked out…

For the record I predict a big crowd tonight, Sunshine and promotions not the blackout being the cause.

Does anyone else feel in need of a big cyber-hug?

Found this on the tsn site, on the broadcast schedule...
<<
Local blackouts may be in effect for games on both TSN and TSN.ca. >>
It appears that they will, and assuming they will do it by your provider's address(?)

8) Yes Ockham, I think we all need one today !! :wink:

stkitsfan wrote,

eotm are you kidding or what? You are walking away from the Cats because of two blackouts? I can't go to the game either (My wife is about to give birth anyday)so I will sadly miss the Cats.

I agree that the blackout is a marketing blunder that will alienate 'pseudo or fringe fans', but if you watch each game with "heart and passion" as you say then be creative. Don't return your merchandise. In fact, buy more. Outfit 12 neighbourhood kids this evening. Go to a rival neighbourhood, the really wealthy one, get 12 kids to put on green and gold t-shirts (with iron on letters, like the ones that fell off the Cats jerseys during the inagurial game against the Gretzky, Candy and McNall Argo team) and tear 'em a new one.

Find a new team that cares about you? Brother, are you serious? Do you think the Leafs care about you? No they are to busy catering to suits that don't even show up to the games. NFL? The Bills blackout anything that doesn't sell out. They have like a 60,000 seat stadium or something ridiculous like that. The City is in the middle of a modern day great depression. Every home downtown is boarded up. Ralph Wilson doesn't care about you or anybody. How about the guy that moved the Baltimore Colts in the middle of the night?

No sports team cares, but I believe the Cats do. They are the most accessible team in this great land. In fact I was in line behind Angelo Mosca at Costco the other day. My dad met Ron Lancaster outside of Rankins last week. Minor Football players get to meet their heroes every year for a mini-camp. Now that is a team that cares. Bob Young cares. I agree they are making a blunder by blacking out the game. The product right now is crap. They are doing everything in their power to get people to the gates.

eotm, are you really Scott Mitchell trying to get everyone fired up?

Don't walk away eotm we need you and your kids. The tide will turn. Be part of the tsunami! Eat 'em Raw!

stkitsfan Great post!!!

My vote for post of the year :thup: Good way to turn kind of a negative topic into a positive one!

eotm

THIS is a great way to enjoy the game, while listening to 900chml if you can't make it in person, although best scenario is to come on down to IWS and take it in live, but there are always plenty of other Cat fans participating in the gameday thread, it makes for a fun time!!!

OR, If you have a friend or family member outside the blackout area, have them webcam feed the game to you on your computer, it;s not HD but it is live....lol