Black out question

If a home game is blacked out, and the game is on TSN, and it says it is availible on TSN broadbrand,do you think I could go on tsn.ca and watch it there?

thanks!

should be able to

Hopefully our awesome attendance continues so they lift more of the blackouts.

I doubt it. I know nhl.com center ice blacks things out when there is a regional game. Just a guess. Maybe you can.

Last year, both cbc and tsn had live webcasts of blacked out games.

Were any of the Rider games blacked out last season? I know I was able to watch every one on TV...when I didn't attend personally, of course...

not that i don't believe you but how can they block out people from viewing it on the internet? is there a way to block all IP's from a certain area?

Yep, there is.

Why do you think no one from Nunavut is posting here?

I don't think very many (if any) were blacked out last season because the attendance was so good. It is frustrating when they black it out, especially since a lot of the province is a pretty long drive from Taylor Field. You can definitely get the live radio broadcast on the net, I'm not sure about the broadband tv ones.

If you have HDTV, and fortunately I do, you aren't subjected to the blackouts, provided the game is in HD. I can't make it to more than a couple games a year, and so get quite frustrated when blackouts are in place.

I suspect if you subscribe to a satellite provider, none of the games are blacked out anywhere.

In Sask, the black out only apply if your cable provider can do it. In a large number of the communities, if the cable provider is getting the signal directly from the satellite and not doing any extra processing, then it won't be blacked out either.

Bell blackouts on TSN are blacked out. CBC no, because you have about 8 regional feeds.

Artie how does Bell determine where you are to control the black out. With Bell you can have two dishes one for the home and one for the cottage. If you cottage is in another province how do they know where you are picking up the signal. Just wondering what technology they would be using.

When you register your dish, you register it to a street address. I assume that forms the database they use to determine blackouts. Same thing for Sportsnet regional NHL games - we get those blacked out too if we're not in region.

Artie can you register your second receiver at a location out of the province. For example: if you are in or near Winnipeg, can you register your second reciever/dish for Kenora (i.e. the cottage and get the programming in Kenora)?

There are people with relatives out of province who do that…but whatever address you give them is also where the bill goes, so it can’t be just some hokey address. Plus, you just trade one set of blackouts for another, so I’ve never bothered with the hassle.

So if you have two recievers registered under one account, you get two bills? That would be a big draw back for me.

Like I said, I've never done it, but it would stand to reason that if you have two receivers, each subscribed from a different province, probably in two different subscriber names, that they would charge you as having two separate accounts (as opposed to multiple receivers from the same location).

So yeah, you're probably doubling your satellite bill going that way.

I would like to see a system developed where if a CFL team lifts the blackout, the television station pays them the difference between the paid attendance and what attendance would be if the stadium was sold out (or in Toronto, BC and Edmonton's case a maximum number such as 30,000 or so). There would need to be a max payout equla to 2000 seats or something so that TSN doesn't get screwed but at least then there would be more incentive for the team to lift the blackouts.

Just a thought. I think in the NFL the stadium needs to be sold out two or three days before game time to get the local blackout lifted automatically. That may or may not work in the CFL.