Bills in Toronto

Now that you mention this, yup, have to agree with you.

And no, the Argos should not be papering the house IMHO. Sure, offer discounts to large group purchases from companies or whatever, that's fine, but not papering the house, then your product just looks on the cheap.
true. The Argos need to put the bums in the seats somehow.. The best foray for the fan experience is a large boisterous crowd and they need a good 10,000 more per game to do this.

But how?

Wow I just realised even the playoffs and Grey Cup are on cable up there?! Right there is an overlooked difference between the US and Canada I think.

Down here, even if the NFL game is on cable nationwide, if the game involves a local team, it is aired ALSO on "free TV" in both markets.

Also ALL playoff games plus the Super Bowl are aired on "free TV" and not at all on cable.

Anything less no doubt for NFL games and many college football games would start a popular uprising down here I kid you not.

Football down here is akin to hockey up there in its political appeal and populist mandate.

It's one of those rare cases down here in which the people don't get just what they need as is too often not the case from Monday through Friday, but rather what they want.

Even President Obama, who committed a major faux pas in scheduling his "oh shoot, I'm the underdog?!" speech on September after a tough summer on the opening night of NFL football, had to move his start time due to the NFL and the will of the people. No way he would have done that for any other sport!

Interesting Paolo, didn't realize that is how it is in the US with respect to "free TV" and certain sports programming.

You can go on and on about how many watched the GC and the SB in Canada .. how many watched the GC in the USA and how many watched the SB .. now take that and how many watched the GC outside of North America and how many watched the SB outside of North America

I always find it funny when CFL fans let out their paranoia of the NFL. But hey ya gotta make yourselves feel better somehow.

The NFL is the big money league with the big money flowing and high dollar deals and tv contracts and big crowds why wouldn't business minded people want a piece of that action

Well that's why I like watching, one of the reasons anyway, the NFL. Nothing funny about loving to watch both the CFL and NFL, 3 or 4 downs if you love the essence of football.

That’s precisely what is required during the next contract which should bring in around $50M per year and Cohon should mandate the playoffs and GC must be shown on the main CTV networks.
Regardless of the money part, this should be non negotiable.

That's precisely what is required during the next contract which should bring in around $50M per year and Cohon should mandate the playoffs and GC must be shown on the main CTV networks. Regardless of the money part, this should be non negotiable.
Cohon should certainly receptive to any and all tenders who wish to broadcast CFL games.

For him to have parochial vision at this crucial juncture in CFL development would be tantamount to league malaise for years to come or possibly league suicide.

Hopefully, the blinders are off while negotiations take place.

[quote="tangledweb"]Papered or not, I'm still surprised over 51,000 turned out for the last T.O. Bills game. <>

[quote]

Back on topic here given this development:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254e7fe/article/wilson-acknowledges-bills-in-talks-to-renew-toronto-series]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... nto-series[/url]

I can hear some of the howls already with regard to the active effort of the Bills and NFL now to extend the Toronto series another five years, but at least Rogers is fighting for far lower ticket prices given the lack of attendance.