bill sturrup

I was reading in saturdays spectator that long time chml news reporter bull dog pa announcer, mcmaster pa announcer and former pa voice of the tiger cats for 25 years Bill Stirrup is not well. I know the cats are honouring pigskin pete and their wall of fame and 86 grey cup team but it would be nice if they could squueze and extra 5 minutes for a tribute for Bill whos worked hard for the community

Nice idea, 1tccat. It would also be fitting for CHML, the Ticats, the Bulldogs, and the McMaster University Athletics Department to join forces in putting on a special tribute evening for Bill Sturrup if he is willing and able to attend. His professionalism as an announcer has graced many memorable events in Hamilton sports history over the past several decades.

Agreed 100%. If you read this Bill, keep your spirits up. I'd love to see you Saturday at Ivor Wynne if you can make it over.

Hoagie

This is a team that didn’t even have Troy Davis introduced so we could give him a standing “o” for his hard work. They certainly won’t remember Bill like the fans do.

I have a better idea. Let him announce the last game of the season. Maybe “Jamie” could learn what a professional sounds like.

All the best Bill…we’re rootin’ for ya!!

http://www.13thman.com/cheers/images/smiles/whathesaid.gif

Bill Stirrup can go down in the annuls of best announcers ever. There is NO present day announcer at any Hamilton and area radio/ television station or, more particularly, Ivor Wynne Stadium that remotely approaches his calibre.
This man should most certainly be recognized.

bump

I SEE THAT THE BULL DOGS ARE GOING TO HAVE A TRIBUTE TO BILL FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE THEIR GAME. AS I SAID EARLIER I HOPE THAT THE TICATS DO SOMETHING FOR BILL ON THE 15TH.

Honour Bill!

Bill is an Icon in this town. A true Gentleman. I wish him all the best.

:cowboy:

bump

bump.
Heard he got a nice tribute at the Bulldogs game th other night.
Cats should do the same. He's earned it and deserves it.

Definitely need to do something. I remember him at the Steelhawk games. A legend in Hamilton sports. I think with one game left the Cats need to step up and do something to salvage this season where it will create a life long memory for Bill, his family & the sports fans in Hamilton.

I remember Bill Sturrup covering our SOSSA Zone Two basketball games in the gym of the original Saltfleet High School on Grays Rd in Stoney Creek. He always had that CHML cassette tape recorder with him and the cheesy microphone (high techno stuff in the day) :wink: …Bill is “the voice” of Hamilton sports and I wish him a full recovery which is never impossible!

His work on the CANUSA games will always be his greatest legacy in my opinion.

Just get well Bill! :thup:

Back in the 70s, I worked with Bill at CHML. He was one of a handful of staffers whom I thought of as friends. His humour was (and still is) legendary, and his professionalism was (and still is) second to none.

Once a month, he would choose one or two reels from his massive film collection, and truck them down to the old Hamilton Press Club (then housed on the second floor of the Connaught). Sturrup’s “Movie Nights” were not to be missed and always drew a huge crowd.

Bill, if you read this, my thoughts and prayers are with you. And thank you for the now infamous “Bambi Meets Godzilla,” one of the best laughs I’ve EVER had.

You old pal,

Barb Hopper (formerly Golka)
Ottawa

bump

bump

This is a team that didn't even have Troy Davis introduced so we could give him a standing "o" for his hard work. They certainly won't remember Bill like the fans do.
FYI...[b]Edmonton[/b] tells the Ti-Cat organization which team they want introduced...the Cats don't have any say in which opposing position players get announced. So dont assume that the organization wouldnt be willing to do something. Hopefully there is a tribute.

I would like to see Bill Stirrup and Perc Allen honoured one day soon at the stadium -- whether with a exhibit or plaque or on the Ticat Wall of Fame as a special builder/contributor. It would be a nice gesture for two Ticat legends.

Oski Wee Wee,