Bill Gramatica Curse

The former Cardinal kicker used to jump up and celebrate a successful field goal. One day he blew his knee out while celebrating. Nick Moore, a 30 year old receiver with the Lions is gone for the season after tearing his ACL while self-congratulating a touchdown.
Sometimes you'll see this in baseball after a walk off homerun. The player jumps on home plate and bingo, there she goes! It seems pretty obvious that you should keep your feet firmly planted on mother earth but some guys have to learn the hard way.
The old saying in football is "act like you've been there" when scoring. The TiCats lost Derrick McAdoo in a similar but less serious situation, as I recall.

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

Hey Pat... saw that too! Crazy bad luck for Nick and I certainly remember Gramatica doing the same self inflicted injury maneuver all those years ago. Nick must be frustrated beyond words. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

I always assumed it was Bill's brother Martin that tore his ACL celebrating. Bad assumption.
we could have a thread where famous athletes injured themselves in unusual and embarrassing fashion but that would be mean :slight_smile:
Insert Plaxico Burress (Gun went of in his pants that he snuck into a bar), Gus Frerotte (Headbutted a cement wall so hard it gave him a concussion), Glenallen Hill (Had a nightmare about spiders and jumped up from a sleep right into a glass table. Had cuts and burn marks on his knees so bad went on the DL)

I saw the Nick Moore injury. His actions weren't extreme: he and a teammate did an in-the-air "side bump" of the type we see players do often, and he landed funny. What bothers me more is when a teammate charges in and jumps on a teammate (cough, 1998 East Final), or does something else that's clearly high risk. I'd call Moore's injury more a freak accident than anything else. It's not like he was doing an elaborate dance or a gymnastics flip or anything. I'm old-school, so if I were a coach I'd prefer my players not to do it, but compared to the much greater risks football players often put themselves in through the course of a game, Moore's celebration wasn't particularly reckless.

Zach's torn ACL injury was also a fluke. It was because of the way he planted his foot, iirc. Sometimes the fickle finger of fate is just around the corner and you just don't see it coming. :wink:

In the baseball case, there's obvious risk with the home plate jump because it's a hard surface, and you're wearing cleats; it would be like a football player jumping on concrete. Outside the risk of being hit by a pitch (hence the need for batters' helmets), or the pitcher being hit by a line drive, baseball is comparitively safe.

Even though you'd hate to take away from a fierce competitor like Zach, I feel like the risk of being hit from the backside while escaping the pocket is something a QB should be expecting, and hard cuts like the one Zach made are ill-advised in that situation. I know, much easier to say after the fact and outside the heat of battle. But I do think that particularly for a franchise QB, a hard cut like that while being flushed isn't worth the risk. It's the kind of play where you wonder if natural grass might have saved him by giving way.

I agree 100%. Field turf is too sticky for its own good.

(You wouldn't want it to be too slippery though as well).

:wink:

Not sure which would be worse, the foot gripping tight when the body wants to go straight, like what happened to Collaros (and LeFevour before him), or the foot slipping sideways with the body turning the other way, which has caused a few knee injuries as well.

I do, however, still hold to the opinion that Collaros's injury was actually caused the low hit he took to that leg a few minutes earlier. It was the first time he had put much stress on the knee since the hit, with a move he had made so often in the past, and the knee just buckled. While it was about five minutes between the hit and the injury, he only ran two plays in the time, a handoff and a short dump pass from the pocket. And from personal experience, I'm thinking that during that time, he probably didn't even feel much pain at all in the knee. It would have hurt for a moment after the hit, but the pain would have pretty much disappeared right away as the muscles pulled the knee back into position - until the knee gave away completely.