Bilan sur les entraîneurs

La première moitié de la saison est passée et on peut faire un premier bilan du travail des entraîneurs.

Du côté de la défensive, le travail de Thorpe, Nelson et Willis donne de très bons résultats et si les Alouettes ont encore un semblant de dignité, c'est grâce à eux. C'est nettement ces trois gars-là qui portent l'équipe sur leurs épaules cette saison et pour ma part, je les garderais tous les trois.

Rychleski a fait progresser les unités spéciales, à n'en pas douter. De là à dire qu'elles font le travail, on peut dire des fois oui et des fois non. C'est la constance qui n'est pas au rendez-vous et il y a donc encore beaucoup à faire pour croire que cette unité pourra être un facteur contribuant de façon constante aux succès de l'équipe. Il y a eu une nette amélioration sur les retours de bottés et les autres équipes n'ont plus le luxe de nous croire incapables de ramener le ballon. Du côté des couvertures de bottés, là, il y a de la place pour beaucoup de progrès. La discipline dans les corridors de couverture doit être au rendez-vous et la constance doit y être également. Pour ce qui est des bottés, Whyte est une valeur assez sûre à l'intérieur de 40 verges sur les placements, mais il manque aux Alouettes un botteur qui peut envoyer le ballon en orbite lorsque l'équipe en a besoin. Whyte fait mieux cette saison que la saison dernière, mais ce n'est pas suffisant pour gagner avec constance la bataille du positionnement de départ. Est-ce qu'on peut mettre ça sur le dos de Rychelski? Je ne crois pas, mais c'est une question qui devra faire partie des discussions de l'équipe.

À l'attaque, le travail de Miller, Speckman, Verducci et Campbell est jusqu'à maintenant pitoyable. Je n'ai jamais vu une telle collection d'incapables chez les Alouettes. Je ne vois aucune raison de garder un seul de ces gars-là au sein de l'équipe l'an prochain, sinon des questions purement budgétaires ou salariales. S'ils veulent sauver leurs chances de faire le saut chez les pros (de nouveau pour Miller et Verducci), ils auraient eux-mêmes intérêt à ne pas trop étirer leur séjour dans la LCF, où ils ne sont vraiment pas de calibre et où ils font l'étalage de leur incompétence.

Reste le poste d'entraîneur-chef, où manifestement il faudra du nouveau pour la prochaine saison. J'espère seulement que Popp ne sera pas tenté de nouveau d'embaucher Danny Machinchosia. Lorsque ce dernier aura montré qu'il est capable de monter un programme gagnant dans le SIC, on pourra s'en reparler. Mais en attendant, je ne vois pas ce qu'il aurait accompli pour le voir à la tête des joueurs des Alouettes en 2014. J'aimerais beaucoup plus que Popp relance Chris Jones ou qu'il fasse une offre à Dave Dickenson.

Voici mes premières réflexions que je vous offre en pâture.

Lestaff: I agree with you perception that we have multiple coaches, and as a group they are not producing. Popp is also misplaced as head coach when, he should be scouting the NCAA and the CIS. Thorpe, on defense is doing well, yet he was out coached in the last game by Chris Thorpe. AS a group I would give a failing grade at this point in the season.

Football is the quintessential team sport and that extends to the coaches. Rarely, if ever, can a defence be expected to produce league-leading statistics when its corresponding offence is playing poorly. That much, everyone can agree on.
Jim Popp is the best general manager in the CFL from the perspective of fixing problems. When the offensive line was porous, he revamped it with new talent and draft choices. He has also been successful in maintaining a steady stream of good running backs. With proper offensive coaching, Jerome Messone and, even the butterfingered Devine, can fill in for the injured Whittaker.
What is imperative for 2014 is that Popp stop looking south for coaching staffs. Trestman was the exception, not the rule. I like the idea of considering approaching Dickenson for the job. I also think Jacques Chapdelaine should be considered, for a number of reasons. And, hey, what about Calvillo in an assistant coaching capacity?

AC has no interest in coaching.

I don't really care where the HC is from. I think NIll with the Dinos would be great. Dickenson,Jones, Washington in the CFL. There are some great people in the NFL as well. One thing that is a common trait about great CFL coach is they either have played in the CFL or they surround themselves very well. Chamblin and Benevides are good examples of guys who surrounded themselves very well but Milanovich,Chapdelaine,Dickenson,Austin,Hufnagel Have all played the game.

I think you guys will be disapointed. Between Lalonde, Hawkins and the possibility of no home dates for the playoffs. It is highly likely that Jim will be asked to stay on. I don't mind it but I know I am in the minority.

Welcome to our group IslandAl. In examining Argo's coach, I should have noted Chris Jones as the coach that really did prepare his defense to shut down our offense. In thinking about a new coach, I believe the Canadian game must have been a part of their experience. I do believe some of our university coaches should apply.

I think Canada's underlying inferiority complex would preclude any team looking to the CIS for a head coach. They could point to Greg Marshall's unsuccessful season and a half at Hamilton (and conveniently forget his winning first season) and use it as an excuse that Canadian college coaches just can't cut it. So even though HfxTC is right, I believe, in his belief Nill would be a quality contender, I doubt his name will come up for consideration. (It's the same "Canada is second rate" mentaility that gives Kyle Quinlan no chance whatsoever of taking a regular season snap for the Als).

Its not a Canadian Inferiority complex IMO. Its that football is highly political and most of the people who run the CFL are Americans so their relationships are mostly compatriotes. Montreal is owned by an American, GM is an American and EVERY single HC in his ownership have been Americans. Its so ingrained in the organization that No local guy has wanted to work for the team in ANY capacity. Lapointe, Vercheval, Proux, Chapdelaine, Maciocia, Constantin...

Barker, Tillman, Popp, Hervey, Hufnagel and until a week ago Mack are all Americans, there are only two Canadian General Managers in the CFL Buono,Taman, we may now get two more if Winnipeg keeps Kyle and Marcel in Ottawa next year. So 75 percent of the guys running our ball clubs or more have been until now Americans.

The problem with the better CIS coaching prospects is that their salaries, security and working conditions in the CIS make it unattractive for them to step in to any type of position other than a medium to long term HC position with a garanteed contract. Only one I've heard of has been Cortez because the Ticats record of firing people was so bad they couldn't get the guy they wanted without that.

So its not so much a Canadian inferiority complex as much as an American superiority complex.

I agree with LeStaf for the most part. Thorpe, Nelson, and Willis have earned the right to stick around. Rychleski has made some improvements on ST, though we still have a LOT of room for growth and I really hope we get rid of Pippin in the offseason. On offense, nothing but a complete housecleaning. I don't see a single coach who deserves to stick around. Berry, Miller, Speckman, Verducci, Campbell, Dinwiddie -- all should go, as should Popp (in his capacity as HC).

Next time, I hope the criteria for selecting the head coach are vastly different. If we think about it, two of the finalists in last year's search are demonstrable failures: Hawkins and Miller. We're not going the Jim Zorn route, especially with Calvillo almost certainly done as a player. Let's canvas thoroughly and give serious consideration to guys like Dave Dickenson and Blake Nill. No more hiring a guy from down south because he talks a good game and/or he's from the same area as the GM. Let's shake up the football culture a bit. First and foremost, the head coach has to be a good football man. If he doesn't know football, he won't be able to coach the team effectively.

Potential HCs: Dickenson, Nill, Chris Jones, and a few qualified candidates outside the CFL

I also really hope that Scott Flory comes back to us as the O-line coach. And maybe we can coax a certain former #86 back north to take charge of our receivers?

Je ne suis pas certain que Flory est prêt pour ce genre de boulot. Peut-être Brian Chiu le serait-il plus, mais je ne sais pas ce qu'il vaut non plus. Pour ce qui est de Cahoon, il a été un grand receveur, mais après son séjour à son alma mater, personne ne l'a engagé, que je sache. On peut donc se poser des questions au sujet de ses qualités comme entraîneur.

Je ne mettrais pas trop de blâme sur les épaules de Berry et Dinwiddie.

Berry parce qu'il doit reconstruire l'attaque mais il n'est pas le coordonnateur à l'attaque. C'est Miller qui est le coordonnateur, donc en principe celui qui dirige cette équipe d'entraîneurs pour la préparation des joueurs. Et manifestement, la brigade de Miller ne livre pas la marchandise. Je donnerais donc une chance à Berry.

Dinwiddie, parce qu'il n'a certainement pas grand chose à dire dans l'attaque. Il est en apprentissage et n'a certainement aucun ascendant sur le désastre offensif qui sévit depuis le début de la saison.

Everyone is going to be fired from somewhere. That's inevitable. Trestman had been out of pro football before Jim Popp came calling. So I don't put too much stock in Cahoon not finding work after being fired from Brigham Young. He was an elite CFL receiver, and moreover, he was elite because he worked hard and his technique was razor-sharp, not because he was a superb athlete necessarily. Someone who had to study the game and the game's fundamentals to be successful as a player, to my mind, has a better chance of being a good coach.

I don't know if Flory is ready either, but he's 37 and it's either coach or retire frankly. Marcus Brady went straight from being our backup QB to being a position coach and it worked out well. Same with Dave Dickenson, I believe.

On Berry, I'm not giving him a pass. He's been the de facto OC since Hawkins got canned, and the offense has gotten worse, not better. The playcalling in the last Toronto loss was absolutely unacceptable and falls directly on his shoulders. He's the one calling the shots in practice now; Miller is basically a third wheel working with the QBs in a limited capacity and up in the spotter's booth for whatever insight he can provide. Berry has to accept responsibility for our offensive struggles now, regardless of whether the words "offensive coordinator" are on his business card. No more excuses. Hawkins is gone, Calvillo is out, we've got a young QB with a cannon arm and scrambling ability and we're still doing squat on offense. Last in just about every meaningful offensive category. No ability to sustain drives, protect the football, or score when it counts. Questionable playcalling -- no commitment to the run, that insanely bad flea-flicker in our own end, no RB in the short pass/screen/flare game. This is on Berry now. I don't want him back TBH. He's had a few games to show what he can do and the results have been brutal. He's the past, a relic of a different era of CFL offenses, and it's clear that he can't thrive in today's CFL.

J'offrirai la banque à Chris Jones ou Dave Dickenson. S'ils déclinent, j'irai renifler du côté des universités d'Oregon, Texas Tech, et Houston. Quand on voit les succès que connaissent Chip Kelly, son disciple Mark Helfrich, et Kliff Kingsbury, on se dit qu'il serait bon de s'en inspirer.

Ils révolutionnent le football. Quand on voit comment les Eagles ont malmenés les Redskins, comment des petites universités comme Boise State, Houston, Texas Tech s'en sortent depuis quelques années grâce aux nouveaux concepts offensifs qu'ils préconisent, je suis d'avis qu'il serait bon d'importer certains concepts ici.

Je vous rassure, il n'y a vraiment aucune comparaison possible avec Dan Hawkins. Lorsqu'il fût embaûché, Hawkins était commentateur à ESPN et contrairement aux susmentionnés, avait piloté une attaque très traditionnelle et peu novatrice à l'université du Colorado.

Je ne suggère pas non plus que Popp parviendra à convaincre un Mark Helfrich ou Kliff Kingsbury de rouler leurs bosses ici. Il faudrait plutôt tenter de convaincre un jeune comme Scott Frost (coordonateur offensif à Oregon) ou Jonathan Smith (entraîneur des quarts-arrières à Boise State) que la LCF pourrait être un tremplin pour eux comme elle l'a été pour Trestman.

All this costs money and right now I'm pretty sure Jim isn't charging an extra 400k to Mr. Wetenhaul to coach the team. Its easy to say hire this guy, hire that guy but you have to pay them. It is extremely unlikely that Hawkins will every find a job in football again so the Als are on the hook for his salary for 3 years. Also its not looking good for a home playoff game so that's another million bucks. Will actually be interesting to see if Popp is allowed to spend few hundred k of SMS savings on extension considering how ugly the numbers are likely to be.

I know Mr. Wetenhaul is generous but sometimes in business your forced to make some financial sacrifices and this will likely be the case.

C'est effectivement une dure réalité qui va frapper les Alouettes pour quelques saisons. Le pire, c'est que ça peut être le début d'une spirale. Si le budget n'est pas là, Popp doit travailler avec des contraintes accrues, notamment celle de devoir conserver certains entraîneurs qui ne mériteraient pas de demeurer ici. Et partant, si ces incapables sévissent encore, moins de spectateurs se présenteront au stade et la valeur des commandites va baisser aussi. Le résultat est que l'équipe va perndre encore plus de moyens pour redresser la situation, jusqu'à ce que la charge Hawkins-Miller ait disparu de la compatabilité.

Je trouve les propos de L'apache très intéressants, mais les Alouettes vivent une dure réalité présentement, réalité que seule une équipe gagnante permettrait de surmonter. Ce n'est pas cette année qu'on verra ça et à cause des conséquences budgétaires que ça va amener, on est en route pour un scénario similaire en 2014 si les entraîneurs à l'attaque ne changent pas.

On verra tout de même ce que Popp va faire avec le personnel de joueurs. Si l'équipe peut se permettre seulement un entraîneur-chef de qualité pour 2014, ce serait tout de même une bonne nouvelle. Le ménage pourrait se poursuivre et on pourrait rêver de nouveau à une équipe gagnante.

For what it`s worth, Kingsbury tried out with the Als in 2007 and was also briefly with the Blue Bombers. Popp obviously familiar with him.

[url=http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=63f973b8-d85a-441f-857d-950123cc10bd]http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=63f ... 0123cc10bd[/url]

Most assistants have one year contract so you could and will see some changes there. Some will leave on their own and some may not be invited back. But I doubt the Als will hire a HC for next season unless someone they really like falls into their laps. Edmonton will likely be looking for a HC, Ottawa for certain and Winnipeg might as well.

Donc Burke pourrait redevenir disponible comme coordonnateur défensif.

Ce ne serait pas sans intérêt dans la mesure où Thorpe pourrait alors être dans les plans comme entraîneur-chef.

Mais je crois que la perspective d'un nouveau candidat comme entraîneur-chef suppose qu'il puisse réunir une bonne équipe d'entraîneurs à l'attaque. Je ne suis pas certain si je préfère cette voie. Présentement, les meilleurs entraîneurs que nous avons (Berry, Nelson, Thorpe, Rychelski) ont été choisis par Popp, pas par Hawkins (quoique Miller n'était certainement pas un choix de Hawkins).

I believe the most important criterion for hiring assistant coaches, particularly co-ordinators, is that they have some sort of CFL experience. We see the positive this year with Brady in Tor., Condell in Ham. and Cortez in Sask., and the negative with Crowton in Wpg. and Miller with the Als.

The problem is the pool to choose from is quite small and you run the risk of recycling questionable ones such as Berry, Bellefeuille, and Greg Marshall.

Burke walked away from Montreal to take the same position in Winnipeg because he felt it would lead to a HC job in Winnipeg, which he managed to accomplish by working with Mack to get Lapolice's head. You want to bring that kind of "character" and "team mentality to Montreal". He then went on to hire Creehan as his DC ! Another bonehead move.

We have a good staff right now. I don't anticipate any changes maybe with the exception of some of the position coach.

There are still 8 games to go before the end of the regular season and many things may happen; for me, it is premature to be talking about the future coaching staff. This being said, I totally agree with HfxTC that the Als have a good coaching staff and I also agree that Jim Popp could be/remain the Als Head Coach next season.

Richard