Big news in Stamp-land

From GSG: Sheldon speaks

Hey Guy’s. I just wanted to take one last opportunity to thank all of you for the support over the last few years. Football has been an important part of my life sine I can remember and it almost doesn’t feel real hearing the word “retirement” coming out of my own mouth.

As I’m sure is true for all of you, I love this league and especially the city of Calgary and the Stampeders. I’ve given everything that I have to it and have gotten way more back in return then I ever would have expected. The decision to retire was not an easy on but it became clear to me that if I was to continue playing, it would have to be for another team, and that was just not something that I was willing to do at this point in my life.

I assure you Childress that I was not “the grumbler” in regards to contract restructuring. I have always been a realist and had no delusions about the business side of sport. In fact it was very important to me to finish up my carreer here in Calgary and would have done what was necessary to do that. I think at the end of the day, the club saw my time as limited and would have more success changing the ratio and starting fresh rather then keeping it status quo. I’m not crazy about it but as I said, that’s the biz.

There were options of possible trades or being released and going through free agency. As I still have the fire and have had a very good off-season training program, I considered it. But after speaking with my family, my company, and recalling discussions with former players that I have deep respect for, it became clear that the best thing to do was to step down and join the ranks of the alumni and all of you fans that I have enjoyed playing for for the last four years.

I will miss the combat (for which I still haven’t found a legal substitute for), I’ll miss the fans, and especially miss the locker room. But I am also very excited to move on with my career knowing that I wil have no regrets other then not lifting the Cup. Thanks again for your support and I’m looking forward to seeing you all at McMahon.

Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon and the best of luck to you. He will still do the Chevy and Nasty show which is great.

Classy words from a classy guy, thanks.

Who told any of you that Elijah Thurmon is a disturbance in the locker room? When was the last time any of you were in the locker room? Exactly, never. I've palyed with Elijah and he is one of the most humble individuals I know. I've never once heard him complain about anything. The only disturbance in the Calgary locker room is Jermaine Copeland and Nick Lewis. So when you don't know what your speaking about it is probably better for you not to speak on it at all. Thats like someone writing about any of you and telling people how you conduct yourself on your job when in all actuallity they have no idea.

Yes and I played football with Joe Montana! :lol:

…my son …my son…don’t misunderstand the little bit of interest shown in the stamps…i would compare the notice, being taken by other fans, as the same interest they would have for a three ring circus or sideshows…also, i played football with Joe Namath…different eras but what the hey… :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

…and I played with Jackie Parker.

And on the “I’m so old…how old are you?” theme…

I’m so old, when I went to school there was no such subject as “history”.

Come on dad tell the truth you were just a water boy you told me that story along time ago. You told me about the leather helments and using catalogues for pads. Then again you were drinking so who knows?

Wow you and pappa must have been in the same class together madjack. Jackie Parker was a good one.

Slipping into someone’s shoes and being able to fill them are two different animals.

Piggy have you seen Robede play yet? Right, no doubt Nast was an important player on the Stamps team. Great leadership on and off the field. He was a very good lineman no doubt about it. But at age 33 years he just may of thought the young guy behind him was going to take up the challenge and beat him out of the line up this year. Who is to say right? But I felt he got the feeling the Stamps wanted the young guy in that slot. Robede is monster and do not forget that. :lol:

That’s my point, I wouldn’t be too quick to affirm or dispell a rookie at a position until we see what he can do under the spotlight. Especially a postion previously occupied by a capable veteran.

btw, get over to the zone, I got a bone to pick with you over there :twisted:

The Zone :lol: :lol: you can chew on your own bone :lol: :lol:

Robede will do a good job filling in for Nasty I am sure of it.

At some point you have to give young guys a shot. Contracts are short and Stamps need to know by mid season what the kid can do.

I think Crehan knows what this monster can do. Yes his skill level may not be at Nasty level and yes he may not have the ar of his fellow team mates but his size and quickness is developing into a very good player. I am excited to see this guy play.

…yup…me and the MadMan…we went to different schools together… and we’re not that old…:wink:

Old? let me tell you about old. The guy who invented the wheel? I was best friends with his Dad.

Wow you guys are very old! Kidding! Can we get this season started already. Oh Madjack Pappa invented the spear. Right Dad!