Big Flag

Does anybody know if the Cadets are coming back to present the "Big Flag"next year?? I know this has nothing to do with football, however it does show our Canadian pride. I get goosebumps every time they bring it out and it definitely adds to our national anthem!

They should be back for sure and not only that ,the should be at the Grey Cup game in Toronto and Montreal the year after.

My understanding is that the team paid 30Gs for it and it is stored at the stadium. Therefore, we should have it till it rots.
The TV audience never sees it, the TV crew is busy talking predictions during the National Anthem ....... Too Bad

(nesleinr) My understanding is that the team paid 30Gs for it and it is stored at the stadium. Therefore, we should have it till it rots. The TV audience never sees it, the TV crew is busy talking predictions during the National Anthem ....... Too Bad
Some good points nesleinr, especially the one about the TV crew making predictions while the flag is displayed. This would be a great time for the two networks in question, to live up to what they preach.

kinda surprised that it wasn't at the GC this year....

yeah, thats a neat flag.......

I understand the company that made it had to use a hockey arena floor to manufacture it.... :slight_smile:

As a Mom of one of those Cadets who pull out the flag, I am very Proud and it does weigh a ton !!! We have been very lucky with the weather so far the last couple of years, because if it rains the flag does not come out.
But it is a shame that the TV audience has not enjoyed it. Cause they do yap right through it or just miss it.

Just throw'n this out....

Why not email the networks and request they show the national anthem of all the games.

If they get 5000 emails they may change their minds.

I know the likely response is that football games are too long so they can't show the anthem.

I suggest we say so...it's our game, it's our country, they as Canadian broadcasters should give both the CFL and the Red Maple Leaf the respect it deserves.

I'm telling ya if enough of us across the cournty email them it'll work!

Now all we need is the emails to CBC sports and TSN!

Have a nice day...you and may the red maple leaf that surrounds your hearts beat stronger and harder with pride!

Jare

Thats a good positive approach Jare.
I recall we discussed on this very forum the fact that TSN showed Vancouvers beautiful harbour during pregame.Someone mentioned they always show the Steel Mills in Hamilton.Later this summer they were zooming in on sailboats on our harbour.Coincidence?

Nope. Not a coincidence.

Turns out TSN always did show other things (the Skyway bridge, the harbour, the view over the city (sans steel mills) from Sam Lawrence Park). I mentioned this in that thread.

They didnt show those things all the time. I think some people just needed to complain that they were trying to make Hamilton look bad by showing the steel mills. Unfortunately, the facts don't support that.

Besides, steel mills are what built this town. Have some pride in the city...warts and all.

I just think it is sad that these cadets devote their personal time on every game day to provide a patriotic service and they don't get any recognition! Our team is the only team in the country to show such patriotism and it is not recognized. Even the flag at grey cup was a joke compared to the Ticats flag. This is a great program and it involves inner-city kids. How do we go about getting recognition for this project??

I think it'd be a great idea to have it at the Grey Cup. It's an incredible site. I think it'd be nice for CBC & TSN to show the flag during the national anthem. It's a masterpiece.

Inner-city kids? Alot of Cadets come from suburbs. Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Waterdown, Dundas, Cadets are spread out all over the place.

andkon..

You are right Cadets from the participating Squadrons are from all over the city. Some are from strong family units and some come from troubled homes.

The amazing thing is that when participating in this program they are all given an equal opportunity to succeed regardless of the cadets background.

This is by far the best program that a young person can be involved in.

I have been a strong supporter of the cadets and their involvement with the Tiger cats as a former Commanding Officer as well as a long time fan.

The more exposure the Cadets and the Tiger Cats get the better for all involved.

Regards

Smac