Better is Better! Are we....?

At the end of last season, counting reserve, injured and practice rosters there were 61 Tiger-Cats. After adding the 3 LB's and cutting 4 players on April 28th, there are again 61 on the roster. When you look at the off-season changes at each position, do you think they've made us better? How much? And where?

OFFENCE:
Line - 2 gone -- Goodspeed, Gagne-Marcoux. 2 added -- Jimenez, Morencie
Backfield - 2 gone --Ebell, Pavlovic. No additions
Receivers - 2 gone -- Rodriguez, Ball. 4 added -- Mann, Nicolson, Valberg, Smith (who was on the PR late last season)
DEFENCE:
Line - 1 gone -- Murphy. 2 added -- NIP rookies Dalloul, Gilbert
LB's - 2 gone -- Haley, Robichaud. 3 Added -- Hargrave, Myles, Corey Smith
DB's - 4 gone -- Thompson, Gordon, Bo Smith, Lamont Reid. 4 added -- Shivers, Poole, Dennis, Wladichuk
SPECIAL TEAMS:
Setta gone. DeAngelis added.

My feeling is that we are better at receiver, we may be with the DB's, and, if we get a very good NIP punter, who can also back up DeAngelis' kicking, we'll be better in the kicking game. But, overall I don't think the additions, so far, add up to what you could call a big improvement. Maybe the best is yet to come among the unannounced signings, including a game-breaker returner and an outstanding rush end.

Oops! Missed two names of the departed (Free Agent John Williams and Sasha Glavic, released from the PR after the season) in my summary. Corrected here (16 gone, 16 added):

OFFENCE:
Line - 2 gone -- Goodspeed, Gagne-Marcoux. 2 added -- Jimenez, Morencie
Backfield - 3 gone --Ebell, Pavlovic, Williams. No additions
Receivers - 2 gone -- Rodriguez, Ball. 4 added -- Mann, Nicolson, Valberg, Smith (who was on the PR late last season)
DEFENCE:
Line - 1 gone -- Murphy. 2 added -- NIP rookies Dalloul, Gilbert
LB's - 3 gone -- Haley, Robichaud, Glavic. 3 Added -- Hargrave, Myles, Corey Smith
DB's - 4 gone -- Thompson, Gordon, Bo Smith, Lamont Reid. 4 added -- Shivers, Poole, Dennis, Wladichuk
SPECIAL TEAMS:
Setta gone. DeAngelis added.

John Williams always makes his return just at exhibition game time.

I think our DB’s will be MUCH improved.
I think the fact that we are settled at QB is huge.

The whole camp will be a lot easier. Way fewer question marks heading in to camp.
Johnston and Floyd were AWESOME last year. Johnston was not with the team in camp, and Floyd was a question mark because of his age.
It is not a free for all on the defensive line and reciever spots last year. We have Stala as a trusted Canadian starter with Bauman as a capable alternative option.
I think Obie will be able to predict his starting line-up within 2 players at the start of camp.
Give reps to players that need reps and evaluate the camp battles closely.
We are MILES ahead of where we were at this time last year!!!

IMO, having an undisputed #1 QB that doesn't feel like he is on a short leash makes us automatically better. I think we have the players to have a very efficient ball control O. I'm not sure we have improved our pass rush or secondary on D. Sandro should put up more points for us on STs, but I will feel more comfortable once we get a good punter and speedy kick/punt returners.

I agree with that statement but mostly, as your comments indicate too, because of the continuity and expectations of even better things from manyl of last year's additions, rather than the off-season additions this year. Hope your right on the DB's! I think the 4 who are gone would have been improved too after this year's camp together. 3 of them started, and all 4 played in the semi-final. Of their replacements, only the 2 Argos were starters. So, I'm hopeful, rather than optimistic, for great improvement in pass coverage.

I’m not sure we have got better, BUT, in Obie we trust, I think. :roll: I guess its a life time of rebuilding.

We cannot really have this conversation till at least the beginning of camp. There will be many more players signed in the next month. Another couple or few released also I'm sure.

I Agree we look better on Paper but Camp Will Really let us know the Truth.

To me the biggest question for the coming season is “how much better will the play of the D-line be?? The team absolutely must get better there. Without some tweaking, 9-9 is realistic as an outcome. In my opinion, with better play from the D-line last season would have been 11-7, with a much better chance of a play-off win over BC. Not much action to address the issue yet. Obie?...

They'll be looking, don't worry.If you watched Obie's latest vid, they keep a list of their top rated player's from each of their camp's and then if they feel they might be able to do better at another camp, they go have a look.There should be a slew of signing's after their final camp in about a week.Also I think Obie mentioned near the end of last season that he'd like to bring back DE Marquise Gunn, who looked pretty impressive during practice's.

It is not necessarily the numbers of players added and subtracted that I think will make us better this year. It is the consistency and familarity going into training camp. We had a good team last year but now we have a good team that knows one another and how they play as well as how the new system works.

As I said earlier.. camp is still a month away. Lots of time to sign players. There will be at least 20 more signings before camp on every CFL team.

You are all talking as if camp starts tomorrow. Lets get some perspective.

When the 46-man roster is announced late in June, not counting experienced CFLers who might be obtained through trading, I'd bet there won't be more than 4, and most likely only 2 or 3, names on it which are not now on our list of 61. If I'm right, over 90% of the players who make it are already signed and listed on the roster.

Ummm... Okay? Angry much?

I'm not sure how you interpreted my post in that way. Perhaps it is you that needs the perspective check?

Please point out the part where I am "angry". I'm totally lost on that accusation..

Your post implies that you do not understand why Obie has not upgraded the D-line yet. My point is that many more signings are still to come and you can be sure at least 2-3 will be on the DL.

How much competition do we need for D-Line?
We know that some combination of:
McIntyre, Kirk, Long, Hickman, Adams and Bolden would be a good front 4 and CAN do the job.

We only need 1 or two guys to push the back end of this rotation.

We still dont get a consistant pass rush out of that group, except for Mcintyre and hopefully Hickman will be a force all year like he was early on last year before becoming invisible after week 2. He should now know what expect in this league and be more prepared conditioning wise.

I remember a game late last year in Toronto where Hickman had 3 sacks. Not so invisible.

I know he still had some big games, but not consistantly, in the preseason and early on he was a beast.

And Adams when healthy is the best of the bunch.