Best Players to Come over from the NFL this year

Hey guys, who are the best players to come over from the NFL this year?

Ricky Ray (Edm) and James Withley (Mtl).

Did anybody from the CFL go to the NFL in 2005?

Yes, but players who make the move this way rarely start. There are Tim Cheatwood (Texans), Thyrone Anderson (Saints), DJ Johnson and a linemen from Sasktachewan (Jets), and probably a few others…

Brock Ralph from the Eskimos is with the NY Jets. For how long I don’t know.

The best player to come over from the nfl this year is Robert Edwards. He was going to be Curtis Martin’s replacement in New England, and was til he blew out his knee(still pissed at him for that in a stupid beach football game). He returned and did a great job in Miami. He is a average running back in the NFL, but will be an MVP in the CFL. And that my friends is why nobody will stop the AL’s this year. You can take that to the bank.

p.s. Only if the coach is a morron and doesn’t play him. hehehe

Apparently Matthews is a moron because Edwards is now on the practice roster. I hope Edmonton decides to take a look at him. Guess the other teams will be able to stop the Als now, now that Edwards isn’t in the lineup. Like one player makes a team eh.

I’am not saying one player makes a team, but that one player can put an average team to the top. TOM BRADY need i say more. Patriots were an average team before he arrived and now look at them three rings in four years. Soon to be four in five years. Sorry I’am bias i love my Pats and Als.

Ricky Ray

Ricky Ray would have to be the best aquisition, but I don’t really even consider him having been in the NFL - he never got a legit shot. But I can tell you who some of the most “dissapointing” players to come over from the NFL. As most of us know, every year there are guys who come up from the NFL, many who have even been starters or high NFL draft picks, but get cut in CFL camps. Just goes to prove that the NFL may have the best talent overall (the elite of the league are the elite in the world), but its talent is certainly not heads and shoulders above the CFL, considering how many guys with NFL experience don’t cut it here on our field with our rules:

Eric Kelly – Third-round pick (69th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft. A DB, Kelly appeared in 48 games as a over three seasons with the Vikes (’01-’03) and led the team in tackles one season. Signed with the Eskimos in 2005. Cut during training camp.

Dimitrius Underwood – First round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings, spent time with Minnesota, Miami, and Dallas. Signed with the Ottawa Renegades in 2005. Cut during training camp.

Jacoby Shepherd – A former second-round pick in the NFL, with stints in St. Louis, Oakland, Green Bay, Detroit and New York. Signed with the Edmonton Eskimos in 2005. Cut during training camp. Signed with Stamps afterward, got cut by them too.

Any more? Can’t think of any right now, but I know there are some.

He was an average RB in the NFL, so you think that means he’ll be an MVP in the CFL? Well, as Supertoe pointed out, your hypothesis is incorrect. Do some research and you’ll find that there are tons of players with “average” NFL experience who come up here and do NOTHING, some even get cut (see my previous post). Mediocre success in the NFL does NOT automatically equate to all-star status in the CFL - that’s a fact. That’s my biggest pet peave, people who fail to realize that. An average NFLer could come up here and do nothing in this league - especially compared to the league’s already proven stars like Charles Roberts and Troy Davis.

Tony Simmonds for the Lions ( 5 catches for 57 yards) was a NFL cut. (Sorry can’t remember which team) Ricky Ray still is the best player from the NFL. ( I wish I could make that much money holding a clip board)

I agree with you that mediocre sucess doesn’t lead to an all star in the cfl. The game is different on both sides of the boarder. I bet you most of the nfl lineman would do a bad job in the cfl, because it is mostly passing. The cfl lineman would get hammered down in the NFL. That why you never see o lineman from the nfl up in the cfl. Robert Edwards was an average running back because he only played a few years, and was developing fast into a great back. In my opinion he is an average nfl back because of his health problems. Another reason why i believe that he will have a breakthrough year is he has more heart and drive than any other player in this league. This guy was supposed to have his leg amputated, and doctors told him he was done. Any guy that went through all that rehab to play should be commended. Just because that idiot Matthews has him on the practice squad doesn’t mean anything right now. Robert has face more adversity than this. I truely believe that he has the potential to have a break through year in the cfl. The players that supertoe was talking about were busts in the nfl. Those guys were highly drafted players and as you know it is an unexact science. Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Dan"Big DAddy" Wilkerson, Kay Janna Carter, and this list can go on and on. I feal sorry for the cfl because most of the nfl players you guys get are nut cases: Lawrence Phillips, Demitrius Underwood. These guys should be in a mental institution not a football field. Do you at least agree with that???

What is the usual height and weight for a lineman in the NFL and why would a CFL lineman get “hammered”?.

:lol: Canadian linemen would get hammered! :lol: :roll:

There are plenty of Canadian linemen that get invited to NFL camps and even play in the NFL. None of them got “hammered”. I don’t know, but Chris Shultz can still walk and he has a Grey Cup ring and a Superbowl ring. Lots of the Canadian linemen in the CFL played for big US college teams and never got hammered.

Most of teh defensive tackles in the NFL are just plain fat so they can plug up the holes better, and can hardly “hammer” anybody. Sure they are hard to push out of the way. but it’s fun watching some of those fatasses flub around trying to catch a scrambling quarterback.

If anything, Canadian linemen are at a lesser risk of dying of heat stroke or heart attacks because they have 50 less pounds of fat and are used to playing with a 20 second play clock on a bigger field.

EDIT - and Elvis Joseph, running back for the Eskimos looks pretty good so far. He played 29 games for Jacksonville and had 68 carries for 294 yards and 2 TDs.

What is the usual height and weight for a lineman in the NFL and why would a CFL lineman get “hammered”?.
[/quote]
I’am not saying all CFL lineman. I’am saying most because lineman in the United States are more for running the ball. No offense but if these guys were that good they would take the payday south of the border. The QB in the CFL have to have mobility, because the pocket breaks down faster in the CFL. From the games that i have watched i see the QB get pressured on most plays. It is not unusual for a team to use all three quarterbacks. CFL is more pass blocking, thus more slender, athletic lineman. There have been some good olineman that come down from the CFL. NFL usually only target the skill positions in the CFL. Being an offensive lineman i believe that CFL lineman have more speed, and would struggle against a guy like Richard Seymour, or Ted Washington because these guys are absolute freaks. I never see a CFL lineman drive his guy five yards sown the field. Anyone who has played the line knows that in order to gain yards you have to drive the line forward. The big difference in both leagues is on the o line. I think that some of the skill position players in the CFL could easily step in and play for the NFL.

I’am not saying all CFL lineman. I’am saying most because lineman in the United States are more for running the ball. No offense but if these guys were that good they would take the payday south of the border. The QB in the CFL have to have mobility, because the pocket breaks down faster in the CFL. From the games that i have watched i see the QB get pressured on most plays. It is not unusual for a team to use all three quarterbacks. CFL is more pass blocking, thus more slender, athletic lineman. There have been some good olineman that come down from the CFL. NFL usually only target the skill positions in the CFL. Being an offensive lineman i believe that CFL lineman have more speed, and would struggle against a guy like Richard Seymour, or Ted Washington because these guys are absolute freaks. I never see a CFL lineman drive his guy five yards sown the field. Anyone who has played the line knows that in order to gain yards you have to drive the line forward. The big difference in both leagues is on the o line. I think that some of the skill position players in the CFL could easily step in and play for the NFL.
[/quote]
so you are using the weight difference. Also what about the lineman in the CFL being a yard off the ball compared to the NFL. For instance if NFL lineman were a yard off the ball that is a second less to get to the qb in the CFL taking also into consideration their weight. Would still like to know what the usual weight and height for lineman in the NFL is. CFL average is probably 6’5 300lbs i think.

–Are you joking?? I know Brady’s good, but I think he’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated. I hear people say he’s even better than Manning, which is RIDICULOUS. What does Brady have to do New England’s suffocating D anyways?? No way is the Pats’ success just because of Brady.

Yes, Peter, some of the former NFLers who come up to this league would be considered “nut case” by some people. Others get busted for drugs (even something as relatively small as pot, which certainly doesn’t make them major criminals in this country). Regardless, even some of those who come up here do try to make a clean start, but they still don’t blow anyone away with their talent. And, there are still lots of guys who come up here from the NFL who are completely clean and normal, but if you were to find out the average life span of a football career, in particular a NFL career, a guy chosing to come up here after three years or so is no different than the guys who walk away from the game - they just CHOSE to continue to do what they love and don’t care if it’s not as glorious or as handsomly rewarding with respect to their salary. And a lot of guys are dumped in the NFL before they qualify for their pension. The fact is that there is so much football talent spread throughout the US college system and the bottom half of the players in the NFL are easily replaced. The top players in the CFL have the overall “talent” to be in the NFL - they are simply not suited for the game and lack something that is key, often either size or strength - there is a TON of speed in this league. And you’re right, a lot of CFL linemen would get hammered in the US due strictly to their size, while a lot of NFL linemen would never be able to handle the speed of the Cdn game and the size of the field.