Best nickname ever?

Last year I submitted a topic on “best football names.” It was a blast hearing the responses, with many long forgotten players I didn’t think of. Randy Rhino was my pick. I thought I’d do the same kind of thread, asking you what the best football (CFL or NFL) nicknames are.
Go nuts... all sports, whatever floats your boat.

For the actual players it's MacBeth

1 Like

My top pick isn’t even for a player, but for an on-field occurrence.....

the ARGO BOUNCE.

Sorry - wrong thread but from the same time period - - Junior Ah You.

1 Like

I guess it is hard to mention CFL nicknames and not have "Pin -Ball" come right to mind. So fitting.

2 Likes

That was my second pick after Randy Rhino. And never apologize for mentioning Junior Ah You.

In other sports, Eddie the Eagle.....Michael Edwards

an English ski-jumper and Olympian who in 1988 became the first competitor since 1928 to represent Great Britain in Olympic ski jumping, finishing last in the Normal Hill and Large Hill events.

1 Like

Good one. The movie was a bit corny though.

The poor guy, his glasses fogged up, couldn’t see where he was landing. :ski:

The best story at the Calgary games. Everybody was rooting for him…not to die.

1 Like

Probably the most famous nickname in CFL history. I challenge you to dig a little deeper.

Another childhood favorite.

The Vachon Brothers

Vachon brothers, Paul “Butcher” Vachon and Maurice “Mad Dog” Vachon. They gained early notoriety as second-generation wrestlers of Paul Vachon

1 Like

Irving Grundman s'est déjà fourvoyé avec un 1er choix au repêchage. Il pensait qu'il rep`êchait 3 joueurs du même coup : Doug, Wick and Heiser.

1 Like

J'ai toujours trouvé amusant qu'un quart-arrière s'appelle Zach Champion... :smiling_imp:

gotta remember The Giz or Gizmo

2 Likes

not a nickname, but I always got a kick out of Jim Rockford playing in the CFL

1 Like

Downtown Eddie Brown. Simple stuff, but classic. Probably not the best but still a gooder

1 Like

Swervin Mervyn Fernandez

6 Likes

Dieter Brock and Rocky Dipietro were the coolest non-nicknames from my childhood

Carlton "Cookie" Gilchrist
"Prince" Hal Patterson
Robert "The Golden Jet" Hull
George Herman "The Sultan of Swat" "Babe" Ruth