Best GM and the Worst GM

Let’s count illiterate as one of your many faults, Turd. Where the hell did I say anything disparaging about Popp? I simply labeled you as a clown for saying Hughie was the worst GM…and you didn’t even know who the real GM was?! God man, quit while you’re ahead…talk about making a bloody fool out of yourself!?

BTW, maybe you should look at “Grampa” Allen’s stats throughout his career…and pay close attention to his stats from the last two…hate to make you look even more foolish, but…

Maduh7 - Very impressive list. But if you take the Coke-bottles off and pay attention to a bit of talent from around the league you may notice that the Als, god forbid aren’t the only organization pretty good at developing talent. But since you asked…
Shannon Garrett
Malcolm Frank
Tony Tompkins
Tucker
Ray
Hervey
Gass
Jason Maas(remember him?)
Steven Marsh
Singor Mobley
CHris Morris
Cedric Scott
Charles Alston
Robert Brown
Shall I go on? I think you get the drift…

And finally, adolph13…whatever, try and go 34 years without a bankruptcy. Then we’ll talk.

......I see the sensitivity classes are paying off......

I forgot!
He is another one we are not supposed to disagree with!!!

Ok first of all I did specify that the players had to be good and either spent most of thier career or became a star with the eskimos and are still with them. I also named a bunch of hte players you named so you can take those off the list. Maas is not an eskimo anymore so you can take him off the list. I laready named tucker, hervey, ray, gass, and tompkins. Frank is a borderline star player he had 1 really good year and even then he got most his interception returns i nteh second half of the year. Alston is not a star he has had one year and the esks website doesnt have any info on him. Shannon Garret and Singor Mobley Ill give you but Chris Morris is not. Cedric Scott the esks site does not have any info about but Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Robert Brown was drafted by the esks not developed by them he became a big name with the als.

There are other teams that are very good at developing and succeeding with the talent they find but the esks are not one of them. The argos are one of them, the lions are another and on the defensive side of the field the riders are as well. To say that the esks are a team built on superb scouting and developing is kidding yourself. The recent part of the esks success has come from buying players off of teams that developed their own stars but couldnt match the money offered by the esks

Eski moses
Just out of curiosity what do you consider developing talent? To me it is taking players with out any pro experience and then developing them.
Would you not agree?
So as for your list of the talent that EE developed
Here are the name and the teams they came from!!!!!!!

Jasson Maas--- Baltimore
Malcom Frank--- Seattle
Shannon Garret ---Winnipeg, Sask.
Stephen Marsh--- Tennessee
Signor Mobly --- Dallas Cowboys
Cedric Scott--- New York Giants
Charles Alston --- Dallas Cowboys
Rickey Ray --- San Francisco
Robert Brown---Montreal
Shall I go on?

Do you really thing they developed EX-NFL and CFL players. Not one of them started their pro careers with Edmonton

Looks like Mrs Abigail left home without closing the cage door adequately again…

Ah but they do bring lots of QB’s!

So how do "les gentille Alloettes" build their clud, ro?? The Canadian Draft? Jezis H. Chriest, how can possibly make that argument without posting how the Birds acquired THEIR talent? I'd love to disect your roster and make you too look foolish but I don't have the time nor the desire. EDUCATED football fans know how CFL teams generally acquire talent. Almost everyone is signed as a FA. CFL, NFL or otherwise. It's going out to find the ones that'll fit in with your club. There, I just spelled it out for you. Now stop making me laugh, Adolph. And btw, RB was an Eskimo before he ever had his first slice of Tourtiere.... :wink:

Maduh7...where do I start? Let's put it this way, your reference about Maas no longer being an Eskimo therefore he wasn't developed by them is assinine at best, completely moronic at worst. So the fact that he played as a back-up to RR, then started and passed for 6,000 yds says nothing about the organization? Okay then, then I suppose by your standards Calvillo was 'developed' by the Als at all right?I mean, he was a Ti-Cat before he was a Bird. Point taken, then I guess you can leave him off your list too. And where the hell did you get the idea that the Argos 'develop' talent...truly clueless.

And Turd, the final peice of this french connection, you state that Campbell is the worst GM (and erroneously refer to him as such) and yet in your "rate the off-season" thread you give the EE an "A". Whatever...I actually thought that whole post was pretty bang on...then you come up with this lame analysis...I don't get it. "Hi, I'm Turd and I'm a shcizophrenic...and so am I."

And careful about getting personal mon ami, 'cause if it's a war you want I can bring it too. Even if you do have your pal RO watching your back as mod.

RW - stick to comical obscure references.

If you developed ag uy then traded him away it means youre using someone else and not the guy you developed. If the esks developed and trusted Maas why did the esks go and sign Ray.

As for everyone being free agents that doesnt tell the full story. If a guy is not signed by anyone and hasnt been playing with another cfl team thats scouting and finding available bodies that no one else thought of while techincally they are free agents no one expects a cfl team to be made entirely of trades and draft picks. Signing guys as free agents is signing a guy that was developed and found by another team but could not afford to match the offer extended by the original team. If a guy foundered and was useless with another team isnt anything bad because no one wants them.

When Calvillo was in Hamilton he was horribly useless most people wouldve passed on him its not like the ticats were a dynasty with him at the helm. Even if the als didnt develope Calvillo. Care to explain Watkins, Cahoon, Stala, chiu, flory, fritz, strickland, karikari, sanchez, edwards, and lapointe. All guys that were found by the als and still play with them and play at a very high level. AS for the argos they developed most of their defence, most their receivers, and the guy that should be their running back

Just glancing down their roster, here are some of their veterans players and where they started their CFL career:
Damon Allen – Edmonton
John Avery – Edmonton
Antonius Bonner – Ottawa
Arland Bruce – Winnipeg
Eric England – B.C.
Michael Fletcher – B.C.
Chris Hardy – Edmonton
Clifford Ivory – Hamilton
Jeff Johnson – Hamilton
Bo Lewis – B.C.
Saladin McCullough – Calgary
Mike Mihelic – Winnipeg
Tony Miles – Hamilton
Sean Millington – Edmonton
Mike O’Shea – Hamilton
Adrion Smith – Hamilton
Randy Srochenski – Saskatchewan
Jude St. John – Hamilton
Orlondo Steinauer – Ottawa
Keith Stokes – Montreal
Bernard Williams – B.C.
John Williams – B.C.
Spergon Wynn – B.C.

That’s 23 players now with the Argos who began their CFL careers with other teams. Only 10 – Kris Aiken, Robert Baker, Michael Bishop, Dave Costa, Kevin Eiben, John Landon, Bashir Levingston, Noel Prefontaine, R.J. Soward, and Chuck Winters – started their CFL careers in Toronto.

I’m sure you could compile a similar list for pretty well any team, but to say the Argos are “good at developing talent and succeeding with the talent they find” is, based on this list, inaccurate.

How about Frank, Mobley , Jeanty, Beaton, Flemming, Robert Brown(originally an eskimo), Brady, Marsh. All these guys are starters on any team they play for. The eskimos have ALWAYS developed their own talent first and then gone to free agency. Why, you might ask, do FA sign in edmonton? because they want to win and nto play for some loser team.

Frank is a borederline star and had one really good year which he got a lot of interceptions but most of those were in the second half. A lot of defensive tackles says that QBs throw at you and the receiver hauls the ball in. Mobley I said I forgot so thats 6. Jeanty is a product of Montford he does this everywhere he goes because teams are terrified of him so he gets double teamed but then the other defensive end is left with just hte RB most of hte time to stop him in a blitz with just 1 or 2 LBs. Beaton is a star? not even close he used to be one he was horific last year and to expect him to get better this year would be setting yourself up for disappointment. Robert BRown was developed by the als then traded to the esks. Flemming was not a star last year and to expect a veteran to get better with age is setting the bar really high. Either brady or Marsh were developed by saskatchewan and Ill give you the other one for a grand total of 7. I also was referring to star callibre players not just starters.

Ill admit I made a mistake about toronto I thought that moreo f their defence were scouted/ drafted by them. Why players choose edmonton I would say a good portion of them choose the esks for the money a winning history does not attract stars as much as money does. How many star players chose to sign with the oilers because of their history before the cap came in?

Ok. Let’s take a look at the divine talent identified by the Eskimos over the last few years through the draft.

Timothy O’Neill
Anthony Posteraro
Robert Leblanc
Amarpreet Sanghara
Gilles Lezi
Rhett McLane
Andrew Nowaski
Chad Rempel
Martin Gagnon
David Thorne
Emmanuel Casseus
Randy Spencer
Kojo Aidoo
Dounis Whitehouse
Joseph Bonaventure
Larry Ram
Didier Ormejuste
Dahrran Diedrick
Olanzo Jarrett
Andrew Dubiellsk
Randy Chevrier
Fabian Burke
Glenn Carson
Guillaume Petit
William Wright

Geez... Talk about a frekin’ waste of draft picks. We can see by that list your consecutive playoffs appearances is not the only tradition going on year after year. Wasting picks is another.

Over the same period, the Alouettes drafted Davis Sanchez, Luke Fritz, Pat Woodcock, Phil Gibson, Ed Philion*, Jesse Palmer, Dave Stala, Richard Karikari, Paul Archer, Mike Botterill, Alain Kashama, Matthieu Proulx, etc.

Hey Gilles Lezi, Kojo Aidoo and Randy Chevrier made the CFL and theyre stars [/sarcasm]

…chevrier hasn’t fared too badly mada, at least well enough to not warrant the sarcasm tags…his time in the NFL and NFL-Europe might mean his numbers here are not high enough to warrant oohs and aaahs but he’s no slouch either…

HE might not be bad but you dont exactly refer to him as a star. And Im guessing he is a stamp now?

…o.k. and yes…he filled in while DMax was recupurating from his busted leg…

How will you make me look foolish ?
I didnt say anything about the Als one way or the other! You said

Go ahead and dissect the Als roster but you will not make me look foolish as I made you look because I don’t make claims I cannot back up

Finally

That has to be the most childish remark I ever seen. Instead of admitting you don’t know what you are talking about, you claim that the mods back up certain posters!!! You call people names and everyone else is making it personal?
Please

Just to be fair, I compiled a similar list for the Tiger-cats.
Of the veterans on the roster now, 21 players began their careers with other teams:
5 from Edmonton (Imokhai Atogwe, Tay Cody, George Hudson, Jason Maas, and Brock Ralph)
5 from Toronto (Roger Dunbrack, Ray Mariuz, Mark Moroz, Mike Morreale, and Wayne Shaw)
4 from B.C. (JoJuan Armour, Chris Ball, Adriano Belli, and Jamal Powell)
3 from Calgary (James Cotton, Kamau Peterson, and Sulecio Sanford)
2 from Ottawa (D.J. Flick and Josh Ranek)
2 from Montreal (Kwame Cavil and Alphonso Roundtree)

But 21 started with the Ticats: Agustin Barrenechea, Jon Beutjer, Sandy Beveridge, Jamie Boreham, Jykine Bradley, Tim Cheatwood, Pascal Cheron, Renard Cox, Ryan Donnelly, Kevin Eakin, Jason Goss, Marwan Hage, Rob Hitchcock, Airabin Justin, Tad Kornegay, Chris Martin, DeVonte Peterson, Julian Radlein, Matt Robichaud, Wayne Smith, and Craig Yeast.

And that doesn't include these 8, who only played in a couple of games for the Cats last year: Fabio Filice, Iain Fleming, Sidney Haugabrook, Howard Jackson, Antwoine Sanders, Steve Suter, Greg Taplin, and Demetrios Walker.

BigDave,

Jamie Boreham was drafted by BC in the 2nd round of the 2001 draft. Was he released by BC before being signed?