Best Fans In the CFL - A Study

Stats from: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical ... ndance.htm

http://www.citypopulation.de/Canada-UA.html

Please vote based on the statistics provided below. Please read below before you vote.

Population of cities used the Urban Area population so that the surrounding areas around the main city are also included

Hamilton Tiger Cats
Stadium Capacity - 28,830
Avg 07 - 24,758
% Full - 85.8%
Area Pop - 647,634
% of Pop who attend games - 3.8%

Toronto Argos
Stadium Capacity - 52,595(the 5th deck was open in 07)
Avg 07 - 30,414
% Full - 57.8%
Area Pop - 4,753,120
% of Pop who attend games - 0.64%

Montreal Alouettes
Stadium Capacity - 20,202
Avg 07 - 20,202
% Full - 100%
Area Pop - 3,316,615
% of Pop who attend games - 0.61%

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Stadium Capacity - 29,533
Avg 07 - 27,701
% Full - 93.8%
Area Pop - 641,483
% of Pop who attend games - 4.3%

Edmonton Eskimos
Stadium Capacity - 60,081
Avg 07 - 37,791
% Full - 62.9%
Area Pop - 862,544
% of Pop who attend games - 4.4%

Calgary Stampeders
Stadium Capacity - 35,650
Avg 07 - 31,332
% Full - 87.9%
Area Pop - 988,079
% of Pop who attend games - 3.2%

BC Lions
Stadium Capacity - 59,479
Avg 07 - 31,432
% Full - 52.8%
Area Pop - 1,953,252
% of Pop who attend games - 1.6%

Saskatchewan Roughriders
Stadium Capacity - 28,800
Avg 07 - 27,457
% Full - 95.3%
Area Pop - 179,246
% of Pop who attend games - 15.3%

Summary - % Full

MTL - 100.0%
SSK - 95.3%
WPG - 93.8%
CGY - 87.9%
HAM - 85.8%
EDM - 62.9%
TOR - 57.8%
BC - 52.8%

Summary - % of Pop who attend games

SSK - 15.3%
EDM - 4.4%
WPG - 4.3%
HAM - 3.8%
CGY - 3.2%
BC - 1.6%
TOR - 0.64%
MTL - 0.61%

A few things to consider.

Regina has the smallest population of all the "host areas" but they don't sell out their games.

Montreal plays in the smallest stadium and when they play in the Big O, the don't sell it out anymore.

Toronto has now closed off the 5th deck of the Rogers Centre so the lower bowls hold about 30,000 people.

very interesting. well researched. except the riders now have 14 straight sell out games.

A few more sets of statistics to add:

Total number of fans the team has played in front of this year - Total Attendance (Both Home AND Away)

Edmonton: 458270
Sask: 446961
Calgary: 439317
BC: 421625
Toronto: 373798
Winnipeg: 371923
Montreal: 339643
Hamilton: 327801

Difference in average attendance between games when the team is involved and when they are not:

Edmonton: +5795.5
Sask: +4718.46
Calgary: +3990.46
BC: +2323.95
Toronto: -2249.45
Winnipeg: -2428.02
Montreal: -5502.31
Hamilton: -6630.12

My personal Wildcard:

Every week this year, except for the game in Hamilton ( 13 of 14 games ) Sask has either played in the game with the highest attendance, or they have played in a sold out stadium.

But the question is "who has the best fans who show up to games?" Which means the numbers and the percentages are not relevant. The question asks, of all the people who attend games, which fans are the best?

I won't answer that question, since all CFL fans who show up to games are great fans.

If your question were "Which city has the best fans?" the attendance per capita is only one factor. You would have to take into account which fans attend games no matter how crappy the on-field product is. Hamilton is about to complete its sixth non-playoff season in seven years. How many other teams can say that, or can honestly claim they would still be getting 19000 fans if they ever were in that situation? Not too many.

Sask fans have been there done that.
It wasn't that many years ago that the team was in big trouble and the fans steped up to keep the team going. No buy out was needed by the CFL.

The Eskimos have been the Flagship team in the CFL always consistent and I can't recall at anytime some financial hardship. :thup:

some teams have more fans attending games
some teams have more fans spread out across the countyrworld

but no teams core fans are any better than anyone else. There are no BEST FANS, teamwise. Thats is a pointless debate.

However, in general, the best fans are the ones that continue to support their teams by attendance and other, no matter how bad the team is doing, nor for how long the team does bad. The best fans also are the civil ones, the ones that can cheer their teams without feeling the need to degrade other teams and other teams fans. The best fans stay sober, at least while at the games. The best fans treat other teams fans like good friends. The best fans are not rowdy and rude. The best fans are not ones others feel the need to keep their children away from.

I think the word "best" is a poor choice because it is so nebulous. More specific words would be a better and easier way to differentiate.

I would love to see the TV ratings in each city. that would be an interesting stat

I voted MOntreal I love their style and the fun they have at the stadium. After sitting with a few of them a few weeks ago this is a no brainer for me to vote for the Als fans.

Thanks Red :thup:

When I had season tickets, I always loved sitting with fans of the opposing team and going out for a beer with them afterward.

Now, back to the topic.

I don't want to come off as a fanboy but that '% of population who attend games' statistic is very unfair to Montreal.

How can more people go when they already sell out every game? Sure, they play in the smallest venue but it's not like more people could go even if they wanted to (for now anyway).

Who cares as long as we always have fans and the Cfl. As far as a league the CFL is the best and we all support the CFL.

[quote
How can more people go when they already sell out every game? Sure, they play in the smallest venue but it's not like more people could go even if they wanted to (for now anyway).
[/quote]
They had the big O.
Could not get enough fans in there.
Montreal only backs a winning team.
If their team had a strig of lossing seasons
like Ham or Sask they would be lucky to get 10,000.
Did they not lose there team once already.

They had the big O.
Could not get enough fans in there.
Montreal only backs a winning team.
If their team had a strig of lossing seasons
like Ham or Sask they would be lucky to get 10,000.
Did they not lose there team once already.
[/quote]
Pretty sure the Als left the big O not because of attendance but because of the leasing cost of the building that it was not financially viable to run a profitable team out of there so they left

Attendance in 1997 (Big O) averaged 9585

Well, they were 12-6 in '96 and 13-5 in '97 and were still only drawing 5 or 6 thousand per game in the Big Oh-Oh. They move their games to a better location (albeit a smaller one) afterward and just like that, they get 20k a game. Location my friend...location. :wink:

I wonder if the Spos would have survived if a new stadium was built for them and the Als to share.

That and the the fact that it was rented out from underthem.

I love the baseless facts that people throw out!

Do you know why the Als folded when they did? Its because of the owner who's sole intention was to kill the Als so that he could bring in an NFL team.

He was so bad that the Also didn't even have footballs to practice with. They used their own and used footballs that were donated by the fans!