Bernie wants Lonie Glieb OUT?

[url=http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=7cea35df-e709-49f7-9ea1-d55818b690b1]http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 5818b690b1[/url]

Day by day, Ottawa Renegades president Lonie Glieberman gives ground in an internal power struggle.

Yesterday brought further evidence that the son of majority owner Bernie Glieberman is being marginalized within the organization, and that the Canadian Football League franchise is ready to chart a new course behind a football executive who could serve as the franchise's front-man.

Lonie Glieberman admitted he will no longer be attending CFL meetings that begin today in Toronto and that general manager Forrest Gregg and others will represent the club.

"I still might go, but, at this point, I don't have a ticket booked," Glieberman said from Ironwood, Michigan, where he was tending to the family's ski business.

Recently, Glieberman was also surprised to learn of new training-camp plans, which will take the team out-of-town, but not to Florida a suggestion he had floated earlier this offseason.

Two weeks ago, Glieberman was finalizing a deal to practise at Frank Clair Stadium and lodge the players at Carleton University.

However, following a meeting between Bernie Glieberman and senior advisors last week, the Renegades will instead hold camp at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa.

Also at the Frank Clair Stadium meeting, part-time consultants Phil Kershaw and John Lisowski and prominent team sponsor Mark Kosmos impressed upon Bernie Glieberman that he needed to put a football face on the franchise.

"All the people in Ottawa want is good, viable football. They don't necessarily want a new model for a CFL franchise," Kershaw said, referencing the younger Glieberman's marketing and business plans.

"I'm trying to tell Bernie and Lonie that I'm not trying to be president of the Ottawa Renegades."

The suggested revamping calls for B.C. Lions director of player personnel Bob O'Billovich to take over as general manager and director of football operations and for the two consultants to run the Renegades' business affairs in the background.

The Renegades were granted permission to speak with O'Billovich last week, but that short window elapsed over the weekend, and it remains uncertain whether he can be pried away from the Lions.

Bernie Glieberman did not return messages left by The Citizen yesterday, but he has recently spoken with minority owner Bill Smith, who is believed to have other names to recommend.

Gregg, embattled since a forgettable radio interview last week, would be kept on in a diminished or part-time position. It is unclear whether Lonie Glieberman would continue to have a day-to-day role.

Lonie Glieberman has said he would resign if Gregg were replaced and is deeply concerned that a new senior executive would interfere with the debut of head coach John Jenkins.

"It's wrong when people try to hire people behind people's backs," he said. "It is not being clearly communicated.

''There has been talk about restructuring the organization, but, as far as I know, no decisions have been made. All I know is my dad wants to do what is best for the Ottawa Renegades."

Lonie Glieberman embarked on a radical strategy shortly after his father purchased majority-control of the franchise in June. By cutting back on staff and overhead, he modeled the business after his ski resort in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, as well as staging risque marketing promotions to appeal to younger fans.

Glieberman faced opposition at almost every turn, most recently because management has vacated Ottawa since November and because the team lost free agents Josh Ranek and George Hudson. Glieberman, Gregg and Jenkins all spent the offseason in the U.S.

Kershaw and Lisowski, both former senior executives with the club, are pushing O'Billovich because of his deep Ottawa ties and extended league track record, believing he has the credibility to serve as the franchise's front-man. The 65-year-old coached at both Ottawa universities and was a player and assistant coach with the Rough Riders.

Typically, changes in senior positions of CFL teams happen well before the free-agency period, which is why the Lions are not crazy about the timing of Ottawa's overture. Free agency began five days ago.

Besides Ranek and Hudson, the Renegades also stand to lose offensive lineman Pascal Cheron, who continues to talk with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Doesn't look good for ole Lonie these days. His father is a little bit slow on the mark too but at least Kosmos has spoken up and is letting him know what is going on here. Replace Lonie now, people don't like him, his face or anything he says and does. He certainly doesn't know football, he should stop trying to prove to daddy that he can do the job when he can't. This is the first bit of good news to come round in a while.

its like the movie 'back to the future', with the future newspaper header changing from ' Gades move to QC' to Gades make playoffs'...lol

Loonie says....

"It's wrong when people try to hire people behind people's backs," he said. "It is not being clearly communicated".
Isn't that what Loonie and Gump did to Joe Paopao when they went behind his back and hired JJ ?
You are a moron Loonie. How do you like being treated the way you treat other people. Loser.

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Football/2006/02/21/1453892-sun.html]http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Footbal ... 2-sun.html[/url]

WHEN Renegades training camp begins in May, the club could have a new GM.

Renegades owner Bernie Glieberman is in the mood to fix things, and other members of the team's organization have contacted various candidates to gauge their interest in taking over the top football job of the foundering club.

Bob O'Billovich of the B.C. Lions and former Renegades GM Eric Tillman are viewed as the early candidates.

According to a report from Vancouver, the Renegades received permission from the Lions to speak to O'Billovich.

Renegades consultants John Lisowski and Phil Kershaw are pushing Glieberman to hire O'Billovich, B.C.'s assistant GM and director of player personnel.

What's clear is the Renegades are about to embark, once again, on a major administrative restructuring.

Last week, Glieberman flew to Ottawa from Michigan to meet with Lisowski and Kershaw, who complained to the team's owner about the team's dire situation.

OWNER RILED

Stagnant ticket sales, fan disinterest and last week's infamous radio interview current vice-president and GM Forrest Gregg gave to The Team 1200 were among their concerns.

Lisowski and Kershaw managed to rile Glieberman to the point of anger. They suggested that Gregg be given an honorary title with the club.

The changes could even affect Renegades president Lonie Glieberman, the owner's son, who may lose his title and influence during the restructuring.

"My father made it very clear to me that he wants to do whatever's best for the Renegades, the CFL and for the fans in Ottawa," Lonie said yesterday, speaking to the Sun by phone from Michigan.

WHO'S IN, WHO'S OUT?

Changes are coming, but the question is who's coming in and who's going out?

As for in, Bernie Glieberman's interest is with Tillman coming back.

The former GM held the post during the team's first two seasons and established a solid foundation for the club, acquiring several key players -- notably Kerry Joseph, Josh Ranek, Jerome Haywood, Lawrence Tynes, Korey Banks, Jason Armstead and Kyries Hebert.

The main question is whether Tillman, now a CFL analyst for Rogers Sportsnet, would be interested, even with his friend John Jenkins as the new coach.

OUSTED BY LISOWSKI

Probably not if Lisowski, the team's former CEO, remains involved with the club.

Two years ago, Lisowski ousted Tillman after the former GM objected to orders to reduce the number of players on the practice roster and to carry just two quarterbacks.

One league source said the Renegades could have trouble finding anybody with extensive CFL experience willing to tackle the overwhelming challenge of resurrecting the club's football operations, which will start the 2006 season with an entirely overhauled coaching staff.

"Jesus couldn't fix it right now," the source said.

I like the sound of "Jesus couldn't fix it". There might be a chant or a song there. "The Gades lost again and Jesus couldn't fix it, Jesus couldn't fix it, Jesus couln'd fix it. The Gades lost again and Jesus couldn't fix it, hi ho and down we go!"

Apparently BC gave Ottawa permission to talk to Obie.....

The Ottawa Soap opera continues.....

Its becoming increasingly obvious that the problem in Ottawa is not the Gliebermans ... The Gliebermans are only a symptom of a bigger problem ... Football in Ottawa is the problem ... The whole reason that the Gliebermans are even back in power in Ottawa is because the team was so insanely desperate for owners, they went back and defied logic and allowed them to repurchase the team ... I question this ... "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU EXPECT?!!?!?!"

Even with off-the-wall sororety marketing fiasco's (that were quite heavily defended by the Ottawa fans here last year), and quality team with quasi-celeb like status, $100 season ticket promo's, and a team with a winning record at the midpoint of the season .. and the fans STILL couldn't be bothered to show up - nevermind fail to put 17,000 in the stands (and those numbers were fudged.. no question in my mind .. the Gliebs lied in Shreveport about their numbers... and they did last year as well) ...

I have to admit tho .. I do love hearing Ottawa fans whine and give the excuse-de-jeur which usually always comes down to ownership, the weather, the constant losing record, or some goddamn flower parade of some hokie-crap.

Don't get me wrong ... I hate the Gliebermans ... But I hated the Gliebermans before they "SAVED" Ottawa ... Ottawa got exactly what they bargained for.... EXACTLY WHAT THEY BARGAINED FOR. If they expected anything different - then they were conned like every other fool that believed the Gliebermans were up to anything but their typical circus acts ... But why is it - that no other dude with some flow is willing to step up and buy the team? Maybe the Gliebermans are the only ones foolish enough to ignore the obvious ... Football in Ottawa is a tough sell ...

Just my two cents ...

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

I have some news for you. Ottawa fans (sane ones) didn’t like the league choosing them, and still don’t. We want them out, ASAP.

Even with off-the-wall sororety marketing fiasco's (that were quite heavily defended by the Ottawa fans here last year), and quality team with quasi-celeb like status, $100 season ticket promo's, and a team with a winning record at the midpoint of the season .. and the fans STILL couldn't be bothered to show up - nevermind fail to put 17,000 in the stands (and those numbers were fudged.. no question in my mind .. the Gliebs lied in Shreveport about their numbers... and they did last year as well) ...
The marketing was a joke and fans let them know in spades that they didn't want it. That's why it was removed. Families left because of it. Fans don't want to buy tickets to a team that is owned by the Glieberman's.
I have to admit tho .. I do love hearing Ottawa fans whine and give the excuse-de-jeur which usually always comes down to ownership, the weather, the constant losing record, or some goddamn flower parade of some hokie-crap.
Since when is the facts about Ottawa not having a winning record in almost 30 years whining or an excuse? Really strange comment. As if you wouldn't be upset if your team was in the same position. Unless you're one of those sheep who follows their team no matter how useless the ownership is and quality of football. You wouldn't demand better. Speaks volumes to me.
Don't get me wrong ... I hate the Gliebermans ... But I hated the Gliebermans before they "SAVED" Ottawa ... Ottawa got exactly what they bargained for.... EXACTLY WHAT THEY BARGAINED FOR. If they expected anything different - then they were conned like every other fool that believed the Gliebermans were up to anything but their typical circus acts ... But why is it - that no other dude with some flow is willing to step up and buy the team? Maybe the Gliebermans are the only ones foolish enough to ignore the obvious ... Football in Ottawa is a tough sell ...

Just my two cents …

[b]StatiK76[/b] GO BOMBERS!!!
You don't think that people didn't want to have the Glieberman's back??? You have to be kidding me if you think you're the only one who hated them the first time around.

Football in Ottawa didn’t used to be a tough sell. It needs consistency, a team that makes the playoffs with an over .500 record. Not much to ask if you really think about it, but I don’t want to strain the hamster in your head, must be tired after you posted anyways.

Your two cents is worth just that, obviously you are completely ignorant and out in left field in your opinion of Ottawa football. The CFL has stuck Ottawa fans with shitty ownership since 1984, and let the ownership problems stew in Ottawa while they attended to problems in Hamilton and Toronto. The CFL strategic planning is terrible and the league had no choice but to allow the Gliebermans to buy 51% of the team or face litigation from the Watters ownership for not enforcing the salary cap rules. So before you open your idiot pie hole do some research Statik76 before you shit all over Ottawa fans.

Ah … I love it … I love it …

You’d be surprised guys - read back a year or so ago … A lot of Ottawa fans here thought things may be different this time around … A lot of Ottawa fans defended the mardi gras promo’s and they also defended the toga promo’s as well …

I’m sure no one in Ottawa wants to take the blame for the situation that exists (imagine that - someone in ottawa deflecting the blame … must be something in the water) … one thing has been constant in Ottawa through out the entire fiasco … the fan support sucks. And the fans love blaming everyone but themselves … (and they have temper issues … hehe) … For some reason - the fans in Ottawa feel that the team OWES them something … just shut up and show up …

And don’t use the “constant losing record” excuse … or the “ownershiip” excuse … you got what you bargained for … you needed an owner - so a bargain was made … and you got it - A REAL BARGAIN. the “losing record” excuse - try using that one on a leafs fan … see how far that gets you … explain why then when they were in a playoff race for the first time in how ever many decades that the fans STILL didn’t care to show up?

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Uhm - yea ... My team doesn't OWE ME a winning record ... So let me say this in my defence ...

"Bah - Bah - Bah ... " (yes - that is my best sheep impersonation)

If supporting my team through thick and thin makes me a sheep ... Then I am a great big wooly sheep ... Bah-Ba-Bah!!

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

With all fairness to all of you, people in the East are a hard sell for football. With the exception of Montreal, look at the three Ontario markets. As soon as they struggle a little bit, there is either a management change, attendance decrease, or talks about moving the franchise. Look at the West teams, and how the community bands together and manages to support/keep teams afloat even during management changes. Calgary is a prime example.

Instead of complaining about the team, support it. Good and bad times, I'm sure you'll see much better results if you go to games and etc than if you complain..

GO RIDERS

calgary a prime example?....why didnt they come close to selling-out thier home playoff game?

Hey hey hey, you don't think Saskatchewan/Winnipeg fans haven't been in the same boat?.. Other than recently, much of the nineties were horrible for Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. Obviously the fan support wasn't there, so they ended the Rough Riders. We've been through the same situation, and have managed to keep our teams afloat, yes ownership is a problem, but that's not the only problem. I agree with Statik on this..

I meant how they turned it around last year..

thier on-field performance?....yes, it was much improved.

Yes, but generally their attendance was ok i think.. I can't exactly remember.. I do remember the playoff game not being sold out.. It might've been cold?.. lol I dunno.. In general they turned it around last year.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, if ottawa loses the franchise again, and i'm hoping that they don't, it won't be the fault of management, it will be the fault of the fans. Sure the team has stunk for the last 3 decades, and management hasn't been the greatest, but it all comes down to support from the fans, and by the looks of it, alot of the "fans" won't be back this year, and to this, i say good riddance to all of you.

the stamps had great attendance, but as the season went on, their attendance seemed to dip, even tho thats when the team started winning consistantly....thier playoff game was one of thier lowest attended game all season....strange.