Bengal bunker - question

[i]Ken Peters wrote:[/i] Change is in the air at the Balsam Avenue North Bengal bunker.
[url=http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161726633580&call_pageid=1112274690688&col=1112274690756]http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp ... 2274690756[/url]

Since we've settled on this convention of never referring to Ivor Wynn Stadium by its proper name, I think we should establish proper grammatical conventions for the new name.

Question: Should "Bengal" really be capitalized? As most of us know, there is no "bengal" in the team's name. Therefore, arguably it is not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized. (Simlarly, you would capitalize Cats or Ticats or even Tigers, but not team or offence.)

Unless ...

If we are now referring to the stadium itself as "the" (as opposed to "a") bengal bunker, then that in itself becomes a proper name. In which case, "bunker" should also be capitalized as part of the name of the facility.

To summarize, I am proposing that either both words (bengal and bunker) begin with uppercase, or both begin with lowercase. I am hereby going on record as being opposed to the mixed usage currently exhibited.

Who's with me on this crucial point?

I prefer the outward appearance of substance rather than substance abuse.

Tiger Lair

Sign me up, ExPat. I've no objection to use of the term "bengal" as a synonym for "tiger," but the capial-B Bengals are a team in Cinncinati.

And while we're on this topic, there are eight species of tiger (though three are now extinct). Why not the Steeltown siberians? Balsam sumatrans? Bob's balis? The Caretaker's caspians? Earlier in the season we could have been Joe's jamming javans.

Ken Peters has become tiresome with his repetitive cliches.
I have already written to him once about it to gently explain that the Bengals are an NFL team. No answer.
Now I think I will write and tell him to be more precise in his cliches. It seems the Bengal Tiger accounts for only about half the Tiger population.
It will be my position that the Tiger-Cats are non-Bengal Tigers so unless he can prove me wrong he should drop the Bengal cliche and give us all a break. :roll:

I've noticed that ever since us fans have complained about Ken using the phrase "Balsam Avenue North Bengal Bunker"......he uses it more and more....

.....trying to get under our skin methinks... :lol:

The real Hamilton Bengals are actually six lacrosse teams of various divisions. Former Tiger-Cat (and brother-in-law of Donovan McNabb www.donovanmcnabb.com ) is the Coach of the Bengals PeeWee team.

http://www.hamiltonlacrosse.com/bengals.html

If he's trying to get under our skin he's certainly achieving his goal with me. It actually makes me tense (literally!) every time I read it. It's just wrong!!!

These things happen from time to time at the Frid Street Factory of Fractured Phrases.

Fortunately, Mr. Peters confined his usual cliches to the first sentence of his article today. The remainder of his report contains some good information from Ticat GM Marcel Desjardins about the future direction of the team.

Another well done parody of Peters' writing style. Some people have come up with alliterations of their own when commenting on Peters. And some such as the one above are amusing. But still, maybe we should report Peters to the American Association Against Alliteration Abuse.

:)
Fortunately, Mr. Peters confined his usual cliches to the first sentence of his article today. The remainder of his report contains some good information from Ticat GM Marcel Desjardins about the future direction of the team.
And that's good to hear. Hopefully he'd get at least that right. I know of at least a few articles from him which there are factual errors.

Is there any way we can get him fired?

I suppose we could trade him for Marty York.

Yeah. Hire him as the new head coach.

Its funny, because of his writing style and inability to report facts... i no longer read Ken Peters. I read Steve Milton but thats about it. Otherwise i wait for this site to report it.

If Ken is trying to get under our skin, hes not a professional AND is losing readers over it... i wonder what the editors of the Spec would think about that.

Time for an online petition?

Not a Bad Idea...

But really
I don't think the Spec Cares
Regardless of how we do about Peters ..

do the words :
Rubbish garbage Trash Wastes
Bird Cage Lining mean anything ?

There all Nouns for Kens Writing Style

The association and promotion of the nfl, is Caretaker territory, - kp is a nfl wannabe , and his way of promoting the nfl is crossing the line imo

I got an answer back from Ken Peters after I complained (sort of tongue-in cheek) about his incessant use of Bengals, bunker and other cliche stuff.
He is completely unrepentant. Whats worse....he says he does not read this forum.
So batten down the hatches and grab the lifejackets....it looks like we can expect lots more of the same in the future. :cry:
Only time will tell.(Oops!)

(ExPat) I think we should establish proper grammatical conventions for the new name.

Question: Should "Bengal" really be capitalized? As most of us know, there is no "bengal" in the team's name. Therefore, arguably it is not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized.

In the context that Peters has written, I think "Bengal" is a proper noun and needs to be capitalized; but really, who cares?

The word "Bengal" is merrily a synonym for a type of cat. Writers do this all the time.

The Toronto Blue Jays can be the Blue Birds.
The Toronto Maple Leafs can be the Buds,
The New York Yankees can be the Broad Street Bullies or the Bronx Bombers.
And so it goes.

Get off Peter's case and find something else to complain about. Better still, stop complaining.

It was actually more satire than complaint.

Tell us, not_a_bengal06, how do you feel about the use of the word "bengal" to describe our team?

I have no objections to the word "Bengal" used to describe the Hamilton Tiger Cats or for that matter, any other team with a feline connotation.

Life is too short to concern myself with this kind of pettiness.

Peters is putting forth his best effort to prevent Radley from cornering the corny market in the publishing world.