Benevides named new Head Coach for 2012

"BC Lions Football Club vice president, football operations and GM, Wally Buono announced this morning that Mike Benevides has been named the team’s new head coach. Benevides, formerly the club’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, becomes the 24th head coach in team history and takes over for Buono who recently stepped aside from the helm of the current Grey Cup champions."

I don't know a lot about this guy other than his great success in coaching a defensive team that was very strong and effective. The Lions 8 straight wins during the season and dismantling of the Als, Calgary and Winnipeg showed that in aces!

As a Defensive Coordinator he was great. It will be interesting how he performs as Head Coach. More interesting will be who becomes the Defensive Coordinator.

Hopefully the team he will be coaching next season will closely resemble our Grey Cup champions.

He said he doesnt know whether he'll promote from inside, or hire someone from the outside to replace him. Either way, I have more faith in him than I did with Greg Marshall :stuck_out_tongue:

Best of luck to him, I'm sure he will be fine.

I hope people don't compare him to Whally. That will be a tough one to live up to at this point.

I think there won't be too many comparisons given Wally is still around and 'running things'.