Benevides fired by Wally Buono. Wallyball to return?

Buono was so confident his team would win in Montreal that he had already booked his flight and hotel to Hamilton before the game was even played !

What this season showed me is that Wally Buono should retire from the CFL. He's one of the all-time greats, but even the greats eventually falter (see Don Matthews). I don't think he's keyed into the realities of the league today, I don't think he is on the cutting-edge of what GMs should be doing. He's had a phenomenal run in this league but all good things must come to an end.

Well the CFL just wouldn't be the same without Wally around IMHO. He just bleeds Canadian football through and through.

What point exactly are you trying to make? Four teams, including BC, won two Grey Cups in the last 10 years so that makes BC a powerhouse in that era? Four teams is almost half the league so why is this feat so special? And Saskatchewan and Montreal not only won 2, but appeared in more games (4 and 5 respectively) than BCs (3).

In the last 10 years all but 3 teams won the Grey Cup with Winnipeg (24) and Hamilton (14) while Ottawa only just rejoined the league. Of the 6 that won 5 won it twice and only Edmonton had a single win. So ideally the Grey Cup has made the rounds in the last ten years.

What was your point again?

I knew there were rumblings, but I didn't think they'd do it. Who do they go to now? Yeah, the Lions had a mediocre season. It happens. I'm not sure I like this move. Especially if it means Waly back on the sideline. You can't always fall back on the same guy.

So Benevides gets fired and Millanovich stays in Toronto? So in Braleyville, BC a .500 record will get you fired, however, in Braleyville, ON 1 game below .500 is enough to keep your job. :roll:

BC can have Scotty for free. Toronto should throw in a bag of balls to sweeten the pot.

Early purchase of airfare and hotel rooms may be to reduce costs because of two possible scenarios. Later cancellations may be cheaper.

The problem is that every year after their 2011 GC championship, the Lions finished worse than the year before, and haven't won a post-season game.
2012 - 13-5 1st place, lose in the final
2013 11-7 3rd place, lose in the semi-final
2014 9-9 4th place lose the crossover game.
This is a disturbing trend if you're a GM, and I knew right after the game that Wally would pull the trigger.

Any teams that win 2 grey cups in a decade are above average. Historically, teams are lucky to win one cup every 10 years. Although some teams enjoy more playoff success than others, the league is healthier if every team becomes champion every decade.

Garcia.

He certainly threw his hat into the ring, didn't he?

Garcia, Lions a natural

GARCIA to roar: There's a strong connection between B.C. Lions GM Wally Buono and Montreal Alouettes quarterbacks coach Jeff Garcia, dating back to their time together as coach and player with the Calgary Stampeders.

Garcia made Doug Flutie expendable in Calgary and won a Grey Cup with the Buono and the Stamps before moving on to a strong NFL career which included four Pro Bowl selections.

With the Alouettes floundering this year, GM Jim Popp put a call out to Garcia to come and have a look at their offence. Garcia was originally brought in on a week-to-week basis but was quickly named quarterbacks coach and was instrumental in the team's turnaround.

"I want to be a head coach and I don't necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first," said Garcia. "I understand offence and I'm a leader. If Wally called, I'd definitely listen and be interested."

Garcia's family lives in San Diego, so working on the West Coast is attractive to him.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/around-thecfl-283670041.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

Might be a good fit. Coming into a HC with so little experience Garcia is one of the few candidates who would welcome even accept Wally's assistance.

The problem is that every year after their 2012 GC championship, the Argos finished worse than the year before, and haven't won a post-season game.
2013 - 11-7 1st place, lose in the final
2014 - 8-10 3rd place, miss the playoffs.
This is a disturbing trend if you're a GM, and I knew right after the they were eliminated that the Argos should pull the trigger, but wouldn't.

Sorry, I thought you were criticizing the wisdom of firing Benevides.

If you’re saying Millanovich should also be fired, yeah, I agree with you.

Why should Milanovich be fired? They spent a good chunk of the season without Chiles, Owens, and Durie, 3 of Ray's main offensive weapons. And evidently Ray played some portion of the season with a bad shoulder given the news that he had surgery this week to repair it. They lost a key player in Inman in the offseason and weren't able to replace him, which is on Barker. New coaches on D and special teams. The D also lost a couple of key players like Marcus Ball to the NFL and Pat Watkins to Edmonton. It's not unsurprising that they took a step back from last year. Should he be fired for just coming up short of making the playoffs? I wouldn't agree. Am I missing something?

Yes, see below;

The problem is that every year after their 2012 GC championship, the Argos finished worse than the year before, and haven’t won a post-season game.
2013 - 11-7 1st place, lose in the final
2014 - 8-10 3rd place, miss the playoffs.
This is a disturbing trend if you’re a GM, and I knew right after the they were eliminated that the Argos should pull the trigger, but wouldn’t.

wow, comparing "every year" to 2 years. What an amazing trend that is.

Injuries to most of the starting O, including the QB apparently, along with a few backups, is what did in the argos this year. No need for a coaching change yet.

Except manybe on D?

They haven't won a playoff game since lucking their way to a Grey Cup and missed the playoffs this season when a sub .500 record would get you in. You call that success that deserves another year? Apparently the GM of your team disagrees with you, unfortunately my teams GM is as much a part of the problem as the coach.

I shouldn’t have said that Milanovich should be fired. What I should have said was that I won’t argue that he shouldn’t, and I wouldn’t call it a mistake if he were.

They’ll probably give him another season, and are probably right to do so. Barker should be the first to hit the road. But one more non-playoff season, or a slow start like last year, and Milanovich will be right behind him.

2013 they played most of that season without Ray, instead using Collaros for a chunk of the season. Collaros was good but he had his ups and downs. They also lost Kackert for a chunk of the season and were never really able to replace him effectively. They also lost their best DL from the year before in Armstead, replacing him with Khalif Mitchell who wasn't exactly spectacular.

As for 2014, see my comments above regarding the injury issues.

I agree, the Argos have been on a downward trend but what should be the disturbing thing for the GM is that a lot of it has to do with not being able to supply his coach with good enough backups when the injuries hit to help the team win. Last year the replacement at RB for Kackert was subpar in Norwood, this year Barker did a better job with Slaton and Steele. He didn't manage to find a good replacement for Inman in the offseason and did an even poorer job in season after Chiles, Durie, Owens, went down. And they lost rookie Coombs earlier as well who was starting to see more touches on offense. How many games can you win when your only regular receivers are Mike Bradwell, Jason Barnes, Spencer Watt, and Mo Mann? In 2013 the Dline wasn't as effective, again Barker not being able to effectively improve it in season. He made a great find for 2014 in Okpaulogo though. IMO, Barker's seat should be warmer than Milanovich's but if ever there's a change to be made, it's usually the coach that goes first.