BENCH BURRIS- I DARE YOU!

Its the D, most good teams in the CFL, only need to score 20-25 points a game to win, sometimes there will be a shoot out. The Defense can't stop the worst offense in the league from scoring under 20 points.Hell never mind under 20, they cant stop them from scoring under 30. The D is a joke, and has been from the beginning of the season. Don't get me wrong Burris was not great. But even if the offense scored 28-30 points like they usually do, they would have still lost.

You’ve got to be kidding me? You’re telling me it’s OK if a QB throws three interceptions and fumbles once if he throws for a couple of touchdown passes? Maybe if the Ti-Cats didn’t have a turnover prone QB, the defense wouldn’t give up so many points. Hard to win games when the offense turns the ball over SIX TIMES! I’m not saying Burris is the sole, or even main, reason this team is where they are, but saying the mistakes he made are OK is just downright ludicrous.

Yeah, we had this guy named Glenn; remember him? After the season, everyone and their grandmother threw him under the bus, including this team’s general manager. The QB is always to blame, and if Glenn was the reason why the team didn’t reach the promise land last year, then Burris gets the blame this year. I don’t entirely blame Burris for the team’s record just like I didn’t blame Glenn, but if Glenn took all the heat then Burris must as well. Only seems fair to me.

Against BC in July, if Burris doesn’t toss those INTs at the end of the first half, perhaps they win that one. The Cats lost that one by three, 39-36.

Against Winnipeg in August, if the offense doesn’t turn the ball over six times, perhaps they win that one. The Cats lost that one by seven, 32-25.

Against Edmonton tonight, if the offense doesn’t commit six turnovers, and three on their final three possessions, perhaps the Cats win that one. The Cats lost by 15, 35-20.

The only game that I will say the defense lost was on Labour Day against Toronto. That was a back-and-forth affair where the defense needed to make a stop and didn’t. Any other defeat can be blamed on the entire team, not just the defense.

The title and topic of this thread are beyond ludicrous. You have a 13 year veteran QB who is leading the league in almost every stat, has broken a Ti-cats TD pass record and is on pace for 5000+ yards. Before anyone says that QB stats are irrelevent, it just so happens that all of Burris' fancy stats have also produced a hell of a lot of points. Good enough to lead the league. Yet a guy like Lulay has put up considerably less points in BC but has a record of 9-4.

Could it be because:

BC's defence has only surrendered 244 points after 13 games for an average of 19 per game.
Ticats defence has allowed 444 after 14 games for an average of 32 per game. (leads league)

BC offence averages 26 points per game.
Ticats offence averages 30 points per game. (leads league)

So in order to guarantee a victory for his team Burris has to put up 33 points per game while Lulay only has to put up 20. A remarkable difference.

Do these numbers even compute with the Burris bashers. How responsible is Burris for letting Fred Stamps getting 204 receiving yards? How about all the other Offensive Players of the Week that have enjoyed career games playing against our wonderful defence? Should Henry also play MLB to help stop the run or maybe he can teach Dee Webb to catch a football? Hey while we're at it we should get Burris to help Creehan come up with the defensive game plan.

Come on people. Look at the big picture of what is REALLY going on here.

Anyone defending Burris needs to take another look at each individual game this year and consider how many points our offense actually put up. Hank's numbers are substantially inflated (Flattering), same with the offense as a whole.

Week 1: 16 points. The only Touchdown we had was a via an 89 yard Chevon Walker run.
Week 2: 36 points. However, Williams had a punt return Touchdown, and Burris threw an interception that was returned to the 1 yard line, essentially a pick-six. Take away those 7 points as well as the punt return, 22 points.
Week 3: 36 points. Williams had two special teams touchdowns, so Burris and the offense put up 22 points.
Week 4: 39 points. Williams had a missed FG return to the 1 yard line. 32 points.
Week 5: 35 points.
Week 7: 20 points.
Week 8: 25 points minus a Williams punt return TD means 18 points. I'm sure we all remember Burris' 4 fumbles as well.
Week 9: 29 points. Another Williams punt return TD equates to 22 points.
Week 10: 30 points. However, a Burris pick-six and Williams punt return TD. 16 points.
Week 11: 31 points minus another Burris pick-six. 24 points.
Week 12: 51 points. Subtract the missed fg block and Dee Webb's INT for a Touchdown. 37 points.
Week 13: 12 points.
Week 14: 41 points.
Week 15: 20 points.

When you take into account Williams' special teams Touchdowns and Burris gift wrapping 7 points to the opposing team, only 5 times has the offense put up more than 22 points. That's bad. And imagine if Congi wasn't kicking field goals the way he is.

Yeah ok, it's Burris' fault. He was totally responsible for giving up 35 points last night. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our defense was a problem last year and it's an even bigger problem this year. Our offense has put us in a position to win in many games, but when we needed our D to make key stops, they didn't. Throw in the O-line too. Next year our needs are on the O and D lines, a new middle linebacker, D co-ordinator with experience, an O co-ordinator and some ballhawks in the backfield. You could look at every team in this league and say that their D or special teams bailed them out even when their QB didn't play well. It's happened to Glenn, Lulay, Calvillo and Ray, so to blame this all on Burris is a complete joke.

Henry Burris is hot and cold to say the least. Have you noticed Buck Pierce, Joey Elliot, or Kerry Joseph have any problems with their trowing acurracy? Burris is either right on or horrible. Last night if it were not the extra efforts of his receivers catching the ball they would have been blown out. There is a reason why Calgary benched Henry, it's more than obvious he is too inconsistant and unable to get the job done anymore.

I think it's everything except our special teams. They're quite good generally, Williams is always a threat and Congi is terrific.

For the rest of it, we just aren't very good, and that includes players and coaching. There are glimmers, but I don't think we're good enough to make the playoffs, though of course we can still squeak in. If we do manage that, we're unlikely to go far.

The changes we've made for this season were supposed to make us a contender. That has not worked at all, in fact we've regressed. It's a disappointment. I really don't know what they should do to try to improve. It's been more than a decade of frustration.

1-Defense
2-Burris
3-Coaching
4-Lack of NI depth (Ed Steele)

We were done about three games into the schedule!

We are well done, the only thing that’s not over is the pain.

Once the esks drop the ball I said we are going to win, then the next play burris (not the D) gave the ball right back, I said we are srcrewed.

“I can’t have those turnovers. I can’t make the mistakes I made for us to win, that’s the bottom line,? Burris said. “I’m just telling you all what you want to hear so you can throw my ass under the bus.?
[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/813202--playoffs-in-jeopardy-asticats-fall-to-eskimos-35-20]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... imos-35-20[/url] :( :( :(

Just proof positive that no matter what, you never get much actual info from the media as to what’s wrong with the team. Burris & everybody else knows exactly why this team is so inconsistent & what needs to be done about it, but we’re not going to find out from any media interview.

I for one, don’t expect much than emotional reactions, win or lose, from a post game interview. I don’t expect in depth analysis from such interviews.

For analysis, I think you gotta wait a couple of days, Milton, Edwards and Radley are almost always bang on. and coaches and players have time to decompress, get settled and watch and analyse film.

You can see the hurt and disappointment in Burris. It kills me to watch that.

Milton is always good, Edwards usually so.

However, that’s not the point. The players & coaches know what’s wrong with the team, they just won’t go on the record to elaborate. That’s why we end up getting the pointless soundbites about execution, etc. or Bellefeuille’s responses that everyone got sick of until he was turfed.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood. I hear ya.

I agree with you.

But, I don’t think it’s wise for coaches to reveal the teams inner most strengths, weaknesses and strategies really.

Yup. Exactly. Look at the whole picture. Now give Burris the same defense that Lulay has in BC. As I pointed out earlier BC surrenders an average of 19 points a game. Looking at your 15 week list it appears that in BC, Hank would have put up enough points for about 10 or 11 wins. Good enough to dominate the league but in Hamilton he is perceived as a bum. Imagine how crap we would be if we had Lulay here putting up even less points. He would be on the guillotine as we speak.

Yup. You nailed it. :thup:

I can only judge your formula as bad when compared against the other teams.

How does that compare against the other teams?

What is the basis of the “gift wrapping” scenario?

Also consider, going into last night’s game, Hamilton (Burris) is 2nd best in the league for TDs, thrown.

Ints thrown

9 Montreal
11 Hamilton, B.C., Toronto
12 Saskatchewan
13 Calgary, Edmonton
16 Winnipeg

Also consider that Hamilton’s D is last in takeaways (19), so we probably have fewer, or fewest, defensive TDs or “gift wrapped” TDs for Burris and the O .

Burris is a definite plus for this team, not a negative. Can he make mistakes and have a bad game/ Sure, just like Calvillo, Ray and Lulay.

Take a look at Ray’s stats and compare that to their team record? Amazing what a halfway defence defense can do for you

I agree.3 interceptions and 20 for 35 on passing,I just don’t think he has the majic touch,accuracy,speed on the ball.He doesen’t have that extra element to remain calm and produce under pressure.Not our man. :cowboy: