Belli Traded

TICATS LAND WAYNE AND GAUTHIER IN DEAL WITH ALOUETTES

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that they have acquired non-import defensive tackle Clinton Wayne and non-import linebacker Phillip Gauthier in exchange for non-import defensive tackle Adriano Belli.

“With this trade, we’ve acquired two good, young Canadian players that can contribute this season and in the future,” said head coach Ron Lancaster. “We wish Adriano all the best as he returns to Montreal.”

Wayne, a 6-2, 280-pound native of Scarborough, Ontario has recorded six defensive tackles in five games with the Alouettes this season. In 82 career CFL games, Wayne has made 101 defensive tackles and seven quarterback sacks.

Gauthier, a 6-0, 214-pound native of Gatineau, Quebec was the Alouettes second-round (16th overall) choice in the 2005 CFL Canadian College Draft. In 12 career games, Gauthier has recorded four special teams tackles.
The Ticats have also added import linebacker David Dixon, a 6-2, 235-pound native of Beaumont, Texas. Dixon, a first-team NJCAA All-American with the Hutchinson Community College Jayhawks in 2004, attended training camp with the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers earlier this month.

Am I the only one who thinks we got mildly hosed in this particular bargain?

yes, u are the only one.

i cant believe montreal was dumb enough to take belli....u couldnt pay any other cfl team to take him, and somehow u got something of value.

montreal will now take tons of dumb penalties per game.

We got the going fire sale rate

I think we got rid of a lot off flags that cost us lots and lots of yards

I have mixed reactions about the trade i feel it was a good thing we got rid of belli because he took alot of dumb penalties but the two guys we got have barly played for the alouetts!
when you get rid of your starting defensive tackle you should hopefully get someone who can start in return but maybe this Wayne can start i just hope we did the right thing! :slight_smile:

Dunbrack and play and some cap room for next year.

Glad he is gone. Way too many dumb penalties.

Nope, you're not.

Oski Wee Wee,

We could have just cut him…

There's a good chance neither of these two players will be around next year. Belli was a major disappointment in Hamilton (the penalties are nothing new). But he plays with fire, and on a solid team like Montreal he may well return to CFL All-Star calibre play. This move was mostly about sending a message to players and fans. Too little, way to late, with no rhyme nor reason, at least until they have something other than an "interim GM" in place to make personel decisions.

I have mixed reactions about the trade i feel it was a good thing we got rid of belli because he took alot of dumb penalties but the two guys we got have barly played for the alouetts!
when you get rid of your starting defensive tackle you should hopefully get someone who can start in return but maybe this Wayne can start i just hope we did the right thing! :slight_smile:

He has a great personality and seems like a great guy, but I won't miss him as a football player.

Painfull but necessary.
Every team is in the playoff picture so you're not going to get alot of proven talent in return, his price tag doesnt help either.
With the salary cap coming into effect Belli's salary vs. performance was dead weight.
Belli for all his antics and the hype was never more than average but even worse he was undisciplined.

He is EXACTLY the kind of player you unload when you are in Ham.'s situation.

Too bad, he was given the defense on a silver platter in a town the worships defense.
Belli kissed away a great opportunity.

Bye ! Bye ! Belli... far too many costly penalties... was part of the problem when it came to disciplined play. With NFL cuts coming , I'm sure there are DT's to replace him even if it means juggling the import - non import ratio

Not a cap consideration, but the team needs to start saving some money to pay all these ex-coaches too. :smiley:

Belli played alright, but we don't have a run-stuffing D and our QB pressure hasn't been great either. Throw in a few ill-timed penalties... we can't do any worse.

We also have Pilon on the roster.

It's a bit of a shame to see him off, but I'll side with Katz on this one.

stupid trade, yes Belli took penalties but he played with fire and gave 110% every play!!

lancaster has lost touch with the game, the first mistake bob young made was keeping lancaster.

it’s time for the old guy to go home and while he is at take mr katz with him!!!

It's official. Katz is the worst GM in pro football.

Belli's penalties were the fault of coaching but you can't teach talent and he had some. Too bad the Cats never managed to help him reach his potential because he could've been a useful player. Still, you get 2 Canadians coming in and they'll help the D especially until some injured guys get back.

An Argo fan