Belli 'byte

Did anybody else watching today's game on TSN happen to catch Adriano Belli's comment to Casey Printers as he ran by the on-field sound guy during the first half?

Gotta say I agree with the big smoocher.

I heard it loud and clear. Hilarious, but what you'd expect on an elementary school ground. Real professional wasn't it? I don't care who Belli thinks he is. No one needs that kind of trash talk in my opinion. We'll see how Belli feels when he screws up.

It's obvious you haven't played football or any other sports at a high level , to be honest that was nothing.

Really? What a silly comment. The issue is about Belli’s childish remark not about the posters on this forum. Try to stay on topic by staying focused.

This is what I was talking about ! I'm sure Printers has heard worse from his Mother. I'm sure if the Poster has played any sports at a higher level he should have heard worse. Were not playing PEE-Wee football here .
In this case the Mike picked up the comment but it usually gets worse.

What did he say? I was watching the game with a lot of clucking women and couldn't hear most of the game.

Belli said "Printers your a loser".

That's pretty tame

I’m sure there has been worse. That’s not the point.

Are you even aware of the Objectionable Conduct rule in the CFL? Look it up sometime. It’s there for a reason. Maybe you think trash talk should be part of the game. I don’t and many others don’t as well. On this occasion Belli got away with it but he could have received a penalty had it been picked up by the refs. I don’t know whether they picked up on it or not. It doesn’t matter.

You have heard worse. No doubt you have. Good for you. So have I! The lack of professionalism I refer to on Belli’s part was where he chose to shoot his mouth off, when and who he directed his remark to. Printers wasn’t even playing. Belli shot his mouth off in front of the Lions bench, in front of all the coaches and other players and within earshot of, I’m sure, several fans. Tacky in my opinion. If he thinks Printers is a loser let Belli show it on the field with his play not with his mouth. It was nothing but an immature “hit and run” verbal cheap shot. Nothing more, nothing less. That is why it was unprofessional in my opinion.

No one needs to play at or have played at a high level of sport to recognize the difference between good sportsmanship and uncontrolled stupidity. Like I said earlier, the objectionable conduct rule is there for a reason.

I think it was a little odd and of poor taste to go out of his way to bug someone on the side lines, but whatever.

Do you really think the refs would call an objectionable conduct penalty for calling someone a loser?.. If that were the case there would be objectionable conduct penalties on every play. Belli didn’t “get away with it” because refs might not have heard it. There are way worse things said between players right in front of refs without penalties being called.

You may not like or agree with his comment. You can think it’s in poor taste. But i can assure you that no ref at a professional level is going to call a penalty on someone for calling another player a loser.

its called taunting and it does get penalties.

Not sure I would call it Taunting as it wasn't a violent comment or action and to call an Objectional conduct would really be a stretch. penalties would be called on almost every play. Do you really think Printers is that thin skinned I'm sure he laughed it off and had a comeback of his own. They Refs or more concerned about Bodies being broken then players feelings besides if any player took that comment seriously they should go back to playing flag football.
I remember my mother telling me something about Sticks and Stones

Chronicguy~

My initial response to YoEleven's opening post had nothing to do with with whether or not Belli ought to have been given a penalty for taunting. Taunting penalties aren't always levied just for the words used but for the intent. I don't think most spectators know just what exactly the player did or said who gets nailed for taunting nor do I think refs should have to defend their decisions. And I'm sure a lot of it is let go during the heat of the battle.

Was Belli taunting? Yes. As per the CFL rules book. Was it objectionable conduct? Yes.... As per the CFL rules book. Was it unprofessional and childish? In my opinion it was. Does it set a good example for all the kids growing up who see players like Belli as their models for good sportsmanship? NOT!

CFL Obectionable Conduct Rule Section 4, page 54 [2008 edition]:

A player shall be penalized for any act of objectionable conduct, including but not limited to;
(d) baiting or taunting an opponent by act or word

It's pretty clear to me why the rule is in the book.

Like I said, I was not making a statement on whether or not Belli should have been penalized. That would be up to the refs and the circumstances.

"Not sure I would call it Taunting as it wasn't a violent comment or action and to call an Objectional conduct would really be a stretch. " ~ by oilerrocker

CFL Objectionable Conduct Rule Section 4, page 54 [2008 edition]:

A player shall be penalized for any act of objectionable conduct, including but not limited to;
(a) verbal abuse or objectionable gesture directed at an opponent, official, or spectator

Where in the rule does it say the act or comment has to be 'violent' in nature?

Would I as a ref have penalized Belli for the remark. Likely not. Depends on whether he'd been warned in the past. Was it taunting, immature and stupid to do something like this in front of the Lions bench, players and directed at a player not even playing? Of course it was. When I ask that I'm not suggesting that there are times when it is justified. But in Belli's case he was not frustrated, he was not 'caught up the moment'. He was just being stupid.

Baiting is trying to be confrontational or taunting if you call it lets say trying to pick a fight .

Calling someone a loser is not taunting, YES it can be Called Objectionable conduct,but will it ever get called NO.
Belli has a reputation of being an Ass on the field nothing new to him or anybody else in the league. but that's part of HIS game like it or not .
These guys are not Angels and some of them do not want to be role models,It's a tough sport.
On Team 1040 they interviewed David Benefield he was saying that when he played if ever their was a gang tackle some guys would bend the tips of the players fingers back until they let go of the ball so really calling someone a loser is nothing. Lets not forget that Printers is the same guy calling his fellow players in the media out something about Chicken shoot. or Chicken salad?
What goes around comes around.

"Belli has a reputation of being an Ass on the field nothing new to him or anybody else in the league." ~by oilerrocker

My point exactly and he demonstrated it again by flapping his lips at Printers the other night! Finally we are in agreement on that. lol

Ya Belli is an ass but put that aside he is actually a pretty good DT, cut from the same cloth as Jemineze and Murphy. When I played it's funny cause all the A-holes played on D. :lol:

Too funny. You aren’t saying you played on defense are you?? Just kidding. lol

No you didn't mention taunting.... but neither did I. What you did say was...

My response was just to point out that if they gave out Objectionable Conduct penalties for one player calling another "a loser" there would be a penalty on EVERY PLAY. I was also making a point that FAR worse things are said between players right in front of officials without flags getting thrown. Don't kid yourself into thinking that the threshold for Objectionable Conduct is that low.

Ummmm.... sure sounded to me like you did suggest that

Saying someone "got away" with something implies that you think they should have received punishment for their action.

Like i said... You may not like or agree with his comment. You can think it's in poor taste. I'll even add that you can think he's an a** or a tool or a.... well... something i can't quite say here. I think he's all of the above. You may not like trash talking or players just mouthing off in general. Fact is.... it happens... ALL the time. This isn't the first time a player has called another player a loser and it won't be the last. It just may be the first time it's been picked up clearly by a mic. There have been far worse things picked up by a mic at football games coming from players mouths. Phrases that include some 4 letter words. That's pro sports for ya.

You mentioned it not setting a good example of sportsmanship to kids. Fair enough, but football players shouldn't be reguarded as role models. That's what parents are for. It's the job of the parent to teach their kids and set examples for them. Not some guy on TV. And if a kid gets even close to the pro level in almost any sport, they better get used to hearing things like that. If they are sheltered all their life and think that pro sports is all hand shakes, how do you do's, please and thank you.... they'll be in for one h*ll of a shock.