Bellefeuille vindicated

On some of his major decisions this season and in particular the past month or so, Marcel comes out looking pretty good.

1) Bringing Cobourne in. (OK, maybe that's Obie, but I'd have to think the coach had input.) Despite the previous RB having decent stats for a couple of seasons, the team decided we needed to upgrade and add veteran leadership to get this team over the hump. If I hear one more person ever say that it was a mistake to replace Cobb with Cobourne, I promise I will speak up and put them in their place.

2) Going with the young receivers. While I'm still not necessarily convinced that it was a brilliant move to get rid of all our veteran imports, the rookies sure did themselves proud today. Bakari Grant had his best game to date. Williams overcame a boneheaded mistake early on to make a meaningful impact on our late scoring drives. Thigpen made more of an impact as RB and returner, but he's still a guy we need on the field - probably moreso than any of the departed vets.

3) Johnson for Baggs. WIth Jamall in the game, I don't think we get the win today. One forced fumble (plus recovery), one sack, one INT brought back to within easy scoring range. Hickman was invisible (except for his penalty), but most would have chosen him over Baggs after seasons both have had. Imagine if they'd sat B Grant to make room for Baggs.

4) Getting Porter some playing time. When Glenn went down, was there anyone among us saying "darn, I wish Porter had not gotten so many reps in the last few games"...? Result: TD drive when we really needed one. Not to mention the earlier TD pass to Stala. That's right folks - it never was a "two-QB system".

5) Resting the veterans last week (even at the cost of another .500 season). Seems like the right call. Everyone who sat last week looked sharp today.

Congratulations to the Coach and the entire team on a great win!

ExPat....you beat me to it. You said it so well and you saved me all that typing......My exact sentiments.

Congrats to the Cats on what was a rather tense, edge of your seat and BIG win.

I have not always been a fan of Marcel, but I have to salute him and his staff for getting it done - and IT was huge!

I had flashbacks of watching John Payne and Bud Riley being eaten alive in that chamber of horrors with four inches of water or ice or turf monsters and all the other nightmare scenarios the Cats have had in the Big O in years gone by. Even the "Ken Hobart candle" being snuffed out by the Lions on that field in Grey Cup 1985...for a fan with some perspective on the history of my team, it really hit home.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

This was a great win. And I will relish it for a few days. But I would like to beat those swagerville Bombers even more.

But I don’t think it can be done in winnipeg. So I will not be as excited to watch the upcoming game sunday.

So enjoy the win while it lasts.

That's ok. .you predicted a cat loss to the Als anyway.. so we aren't looking for YOUR support... but feel free to jump back on after we win in Winnipig!!

Aren't you the one who said Glenn was going to choke?

Well he didn't.

He was very calm, cool, and collected when the chips were down and it really mattered.

OH SNAP!!

Congratulations on a big win today. See you guys at Winnipeg. I don't think their will be as much points in that game due to being outside. Should be an interesting game!

I was wondering if anyone would post something like this. I turned to my boyfriend and said "does anyone want to tell me that the 2 QB system was a bad idea, now?" after Glenn got hurt.

You hit the nail on the head. There is also no reason we can't beat WPG.

Got to agree with Expat's OP.

Even with a loss next week, I'd say keep Bellefeuille (and Glenn).

Looking at this win, it's quite apparent the head coach managed this team quite well in the last 3 weeks with this game in mind.

Well done, coach Bellefeuille, and well done Kevin Glenn, Quinton Porter and team in a classic CFL playoff game for the ages! :thup:

[b]2) Going with the young receivers[/b]. While I'm still not necessarily convinced that it was a brilliant move to get rid of all our veteran imports, the rookies sure did themselves proud today. Bakari Grant had his best game to date. Williams overcame a boneheaded mistake early on to make a meaningful impact on our late scoring drives. Thigpen made more of an impact as RB and returner, but he's still a guy we need on the field - probably moreso than any of the departed vets.
I'm convinced it was the right move. I'll never forget Bruce's dud of a playoff performance in the loss to Toronto last year, and with all due respect to both Mann and McDaniel, I certainly did not miss them today at all.

With this year under the rookie receivers' belts, wait till next year, never mind next week.

Still some questions to be answered as to how we could let time run out when we were in good position for the winning field goal in regular time.

For years Hamilton has kept their 2nd stringer on the bench, only to have them sit around until they were too rusty for football. It is always a good idea to give your QB's some game time when the opportunity arises. To me that is a no brainer.

GREAT PIC CAP'T

What a great game eh? Its a happy week for us TiCat fans and I predict we can beat Winnipeg next week,I don’t think Winnipeg are as good as people think.Go Cats! Go all the way! :smiley:

The Ticats have been in a position to win 90 percent of the games under Bellefuelle. Individual player mistakes, and not the coach, cost us a bunch of those wins.

Buellefuelle is a good coach who can help build this program up for years to come. We are lucky to have him.

I agree with this post, and with the opening post in this thread. Our team was well prepared and played well under pressure in a clutch game. Congratulations to the coaches and players who delivered when they had to.

I'm glad Obie listens to his own judgement and not to the "burn the witches-- hell, burn everybody" crowd on this board.

I think we'll beat Winnipeg and go to the Grey Cup game this year.

As an outsider, my first instinct would be to put that one on Boltus, who, as the holder, calls for the snap. And being in Canada, where it doesn't matter if the play clock goes to zero, he could have thought the same thing applied to the play clock too.

I dunno, who else can you blame for a time count violation?

But...I don't care about that. Luckily, it didn't matter because of that terrific pass by Glenn in OT, which pretty much won the game for the Tiger-Cats! Lesson learned. It won't happen again.

here's some more of that play.

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/gallery/2011/11/016155300933.jpg

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/5704193.bin?size=620x400s

special teams coach should have pulled Boltus aside and quickly went through the routine for him PRIOR to going out for the kick. The last thing he should have said was "do not let the play clock run down." That's good coaching, on-the-ball coaching. That could have been the difference between winning and losing. Thankfully, it was not.

It seemed like the whole FG team was slow getting set.
I think there was 14 seconds left after the 2nd down play. Then I noticed the game clock had ticked down to zero (which meant there was 6 seconds or less left on the play clock) and the line hadn't quite got set and Boltus didn't even have his knee down yet, and I was yelling at them to hurry up. It was like they didn't realize when the clock had been started.