January 10, 2008

'With good, and young, Canadian depth
in the middle of the offensive line,

a mobile quarterback, and tailbacks
Lumsden and Terry Caulley

(who could often be teamed
in the same formation),

the offence came out of 2007 with a little
more than their dismal record might indicate.

"What it adds up to is a traditional CFL offence,"
Bellefeuille said.

"Because we're decent up front, we
should be able to run the football.

But because of an athletic quarterback,

we should be able to boot, screen,
move the launch points, sprint out,
run shovel passes, those kinds of things."

click here

This sounds like he's going to be over-focused on the ground game.

We're in trouble.

What does he mean by 'traditional'? 1850's CFL football, before the forward pass was introduced?

Ah, Bellefeuille. Gotta love the fact that nowhere in his statement does he mention the need to throw the ball further than five yards. And that is why you will come to hate him as much as we Als fans have.

With a quarterback like Printers, you should not be overlooking the deep ball. But I don't think Bellefeuille even sees that part of the passing spectrum.

I can foresee Printers blowing a gasket and going ballistic on MB by about game three...........

Bellefeuille wants Jesse involved
in 1/3rd of the Offensive plays

12 to 15 carries and five or so passes.

That leaves 40+ passing plays to other guys.

He said this in another Spec article
that I posted when I posted this one.

No, not always. Marcel likes these three plays:

1st Down Pass 3 yards
2nd Down Pass 4 yards
3rd Down Punt.

Just ask the Rider and Allouette posters. They've seen the playbook! :roll:

[i][b]
"But because of an athletic quarterback, we should be able to boot, screen, move the launch points, sprint out, run shovel passes, those kinds of things."

"We need to make more plays from the receiver position," understates Bellefeuille

He likes what he sees in Brock Ralph's speed and improved ball handling over the middle

"We traded for Frank Murphy and Jason Armstead has been a 1,000-yard receiver and can do different things,"[/b][/i]

If these are quotes and statements from Bellefeuille then it appears to me that, while the running game will be very important to the 'Cats this year, the passing game will be a huge part of the game and the receivers named are deeper threat guys who, along with Lumsden and Caulley, have capable hands and are fairly fleet of foot.
It sounds like that Bellefeuille is on the right track discovering what the players are capable of and starting to put his plan in place for the players on this years team.
All the best to him and I'm sure that we will see a huge change in the on field performance on both sides of the ball this season.

Bellefeuille will work his receivers according to their abilities to free themselves up from defensive backs at any point on the field.

I would also guess that he will work them, in many cases, according to the wishes of his head coach.

Regardless, I am looking forward to an exiting season.

"He likes what he sees in Brock Ralph's speed and improved ball handling over the middle, but he has to get the enigmatic Canadian back on the upward arc he was riding before he injured his shoulder."... from the Spec

I was hoping we could trade Brock for a sack of new practice footballs... oh well, give him a few more years, he is bound to improve... :roll:

FREUDIAN SLIP OF THE YEAR ON TICATS.CA!!!!!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!