Bellefeuille staying in Winnipeg

[url=http://Www.tsn.ca/cfl]Www.tsn.ca/cfl[/url]

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are bringing back offensive co-ordinator Marcel Bellefeuille next season.

New Blue Bombers Mike O'Shea head coach announced Tuesday that Bellefeuille would return to run Winnipeg's offence. Bellefeuille finished off Winnipeg's disappointing 2013 season in that role after Gary Crowton was fired on Aug. 18 following a five-game losing streak.

"Marcel brings a wealth of experience and success to our offensive and I am very pleased he has accepted the position of offensive co-ordinator," O'Shea said in a statement. "Having worked with some of our players already, and having a grasp on the type of organization we are trying to build, I feel Marcel is the right fit for this position."

While Winnipeg finished with a 3-15 record, the offence slowly began to take shape in the second half of the season behind quarterback Max Hall.

Bellefeuille was reportedly considered for the head coach position for the expansion Ottawa Redblacks, which went to former Calgary defensive co-ordinator. With all head coaching positions filled going into next year, it appears Bellefeuille's foreseeable future lies in Winnipeg.

"I'm really thrilled about joining Mike's staff and continuing to work in an organization steeped in tradition like Winnipeg," Bellefeuille said in a statement. "The fans and the city are very passionate about football and we look forward to bringing them a solid offensive unit in 2014 and beyond."

Bellefeuille served as head coach of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats from midway through the 2008 season through 2011.

He led the Ticats to the playoffs in each of his three full seasons at the helm, including an appearance in the East final in 2011.

He began his CFL coaching career in 2001 with Saskatchewan and has served as offensive co-ordinator of the Roughriders and the Montreal Alouettes.

Prior to joining the CFL, Bellefeuille won a Vanier Cup as head coach of the Ottawa Gee-Gees in 2000

Probably not who Bomber fans were hoping for.

I guess for Winnipeg, Bellefeuille -- aka Mr. Mediocrity -- is a step up from the abject suck of Gary Crowton. But it's not much of a step up. I do not understand how Bellefeuille keeps finding work as an OC when his offenses have NEVER -- not in SSK, MTL, or HAM -- been better than mediocre. He did fairly well as Hamilton's HC but was a failure as an OC.

Fans of 8 other teams can breathe a sigh of relief. Lol

Mute point without a QB and a O.line

Disappointed by this news to say the least, while I wasn't in the "anyone but Bellefeuille" crowd, I was hoping for someone else. Gibson (RedBlacks OC) or Maas (Argos WR coach) were my top 2 choices.

I'm sticking with the old adage, if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.