Being Frugal but being wise!

Today I received an email from the Stampeder office front staff, politely reaching out to me to renew my season's tickets in Section S. I loved the seats, I loved the crowd, I love the excitement of being at a game, but I absolutely HATE watching #19. In my view, he's the worst QB that I have ever seen in my life...period. I've seen some poor QB's but one thing they all had in common is that they could and all would run with the ball.

Last year, Mitchell threw for the league's leading number of interceptions. He also led the league (again) with the most time clock violations. Seems that 20 seconds is not long enough to get the play off. He also led the league with the fewest yards gained on the ground by a QB.
So, I told the wife last year, that I will never return to Stampeder football until #19 and perhaps D. Dickenson are long gone. The time has come when one or both have to go. I wrote a letter of such to Mr. Huffnegal, and explained that I can't sit there and watch my favorite team go 2 and out all night.
The wide-out play that Bo loves to throw is a perfect waste of a down.
It's not the money, but why throw good money away to an organization that won't work to better itself.
In tonight's game, it's no different than the last 3 years or better with Bo. More interceptions, more poor reads, more bad throws. I can't and I won't support that. Perhaps it's time for Huff to go as well. He's been here a long time and things continue to go downhill.

1 Like

I guess a lot of people said that because there might be 20k at the game tonight. Perhaps they also wrote letters after last season and that's the reason why CSE (according to Arash Madani) voted for 4 downs.

2 Likes

Don't think there's 20k in the stands tonite . . . .
but certainly a crisp 17,500 to 18,000
Not bad for opening nite against a nebulous eastern opponent
Driving from places like Olds might cost nearly $150 so rural traffic prolly down quite a bit.
Its really gonna tell on the Riders who depend on cross=provincial support.

Bombers are already promoting the crap out of single game tickets, which usually doesn't happen until season is well underway. Obviously, the season ticket trend in Winnipeg is stagnant or even regressive so the last vestige of low crowds is to bang away at single game tickets.
Regardless of $7 per gallon petrol - I suspect the bombers will have 22,500 to 24,000 on hand for their Friday opener!

3 Likes

They have some pretty special fans whether they live there in the Peg or not! I was at the Grey cup two years ago here in Calgary, and we had Winnipeg fans all around us. They were dressed to the 9's and had a ball at the game. It was great to see them break their drought. Great fans!
They have had a lot to be proud of and cheer for. They have several players who exceed in "must" areas of the game. They could be in for a 3 peat this year.

2 Likes

Well I just put that down on here, and Mitchell missed another time count and threw two INT's and is back to overthrowing the receivers again. So; it's just more of the same.
I would sooner become frustrated at home than be around the fans and become frustrated and irate. That's not the way to be when you're around good people who pay good money. The frustration of Dickenson and Bo; is just overwhelming at times, however!

1 Like

I noticed the stands looked bare as well. Funny, it was never bare when Flute was here!

2 Likes

Lots of low to middle income fans in Wpg. facing massive food price increases, $7/ gallon gasoline and higher rents & interest rates (affecting mortage rates) now need food banks.
Most folks still doing OK.
The rich - those earning $120k per anum or more, usually retain 18 to 22% of their incomes in savings, now they'll have to make do with only 15 to 17% retention.
Middle income (folks earning $35k to $80k, usually retain 15 to 18% of their earnings; now they're making do on 10 to 12% - - - - BUT FEW ARE GOING INTO DEEP DEBT - yet!

However, the lowest income group - those in the $12k to 28k range usually could save 5 to 7% of their monies - now forced to attend food banks and lucky if they can scrimp/save 1 or 2% of their take. Many in this low category having trouble NOT GOING INTO THE RED . . . . so buying $7/gal. gas and $35 game tickets no longer an affordable option.
Heck, even cable TV at its cheapest levels (with sports stations) starts at around $120/mo. (with internet) and $75-$80 with no internet. Enhanced packages with movies & extra sports channels can run into the $250 to $310 range.
So 22,500 for Bombers Friday nite is actually GREAT. . . . notwithstanding the horrid imagery of 10,000+ empty seats . . . . more if you count folks tethered to the Rum Hut.

1 Like

Bo Bo and Dave Dick very fortunate Khari & Vern, Jr. are not closers!

3 Likes

It sounds to me that you have hit the nail pretty square on the head. That's how I would see it as well. It's interesting to see, when people want more and more's getting less. Turned out that Mitchell caught a wind draft and was injured and so Jake Maier came in and the game was finally won by Calgary 30 - 27, but it was soooooo close.

1 Like

You know you're right, but I wouldn't mind taking my chances with Adams Jr. I mean he runs well with the ball, has a great arm for a smaller statured player, and thinks the plays through.
Mitchel was hurt - again. I thought ...I hope that it's not serious, but I'm so glad Jake is in the game now. Now he's four for four.

1 Like

I lived in Edmonton for nearly 50 years and the last 3 of them I spent making trips down to Calgary to watch the Stamps and the Flames. I had season tickets for 3 years to the Stamps and fell in love with the city and more importantly, the people. I came down here , even on days when it was pouring rain and not always in vehicles that were the best of shape either....haha..

1 Like

Yeah don’t turn into the Incredible Hulk and start smashing things or worse give yourself a heart attack. No one knows what you can handle better than you so in the long run it’s better to listen to yourself

1 Like

Great advise...."thank you"! Have yourself a good weekend!

1 Like

Jake definitely being groomed to take over from BoBoMe; now maybe sooner than later. Stamps always have good to great personnel (Hufnagel one of the great talent providers in league history).
Both Adams, Jr. & Khari Jones are long on leadership - but a little dry on real winning & closing skills. Last nite was Exhibit 1. Adams tosses far too many turf skidders for my liking and tries to force the ball into unopened windows.

1 Like

Excellent point, & this is going to hit a lot of teams. The mindset when gas spikes is to compensate by driving less (in my case anyway). The price of gas just bumped the cost of a football game quite substantially for a lot of fans. That's got to result in some lost ticket sales.

1 Like

Ah, no….

But back to your dislike of our team and in particular BLM, question for you Glen, is it really just BLM that’s turning you off going to games? If he were replaced would you feel like going back?

1 Like

Yes; that's true. And I"m just wondering how much of what you say figured into last nights game between the Stamps and the Al's?

1 Like

That's a legitimate great question and very fair. I would love to come back. Part of the reason why I moved to Calgary 14 years ago, was because of the Stamps.
So, if they put Jake in for the rest of the season, I would totally commit to the season. This is not all on BO, but he has never really, nor does it look like he'll ever return to form in my opinion. I think the coaching staff love Bo's leadership ( I think ), and they are in love with his former or past throwing abilities. No one out of Calgary talks about how one dimensional his game is however.
I came from a city that has had a lot of great QBs in the past, and all of them had quick feet. When a set of downs went south, they quickly ran off the field and headed to the bench where they would discuss what just happened and didn't sit there staring into a laptop, and then returning back to the field only to REPEAT the same set of errors.
I said 3 years ago, that he was done.
He seems like he might be a great guy - humble and so forth. But when you're asking fans to pay a hefty price, then I think it's reasonable for the fans to get a concerted effort each time. That hasn't happened in my opinion for a very long time.
Today so far, they have not announced Bo's injury, but he didn't look that bad ( more frustrated ) while walking off the field last night.
GO STAMPS GO!!!

1 Like

I would imagine concession prices have gone up as well. Between a war and Unions going nuts, this is what we end up with.

Like many past CFL greats at the QB position - either foes have completely caught up with BLM, rendering him mediocre or BLM has dropped down a tad.

Given the turnover rate in the CFL, I'd opt for #2.
Bo just isn't Bo anymore. The fake confidence and assertiveness are still there but the results aren't.
Few reasons come to mind. When Bo first came up he mixed in a ton of check-off passes, intermediate & long tosses. Now, its either short swings or full heaves. No in-betweens. Plus, in his first 3 or 4 years Bo would take off with the ball if nothing was open downfield and while not possessing superior QB wheels he could usually dampen the defense for runs of 7 to 20 yds, which then again opened up his passing lanes.
Now, Bo is scared shi*less of taking a hit cuz he knows his body isn't the temple of a greek god anymore. He's vulnerable and thats why he's tossing into tight windows, throwing it away or in some cases tossing picks.
Ron Lancaster, the Little General was actually a running QB (rollout they called it) his first 4 or 5 yrs in the league) but as hits accumulated and memories of the revolting shocks he took from sacks and getting drilled on the run he became a full-time drop-back QB, stepping up into the pocket to evade the most ferocious sackers.

1 Like